HI HI - Amanda Eller, 35, Trail near Makawao, Maui, 8 May 2019

Discussion in 'Located Persons Discussion' started by Moxie_McTavish, May 11, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. puakenikeni

puakenikeni Well-Known Member

Thanks for that excellent reply. I worked my way through college as a bank teller. Lower tech at that time, so we basically looked at the balance mostly when doing transactions. The bank officers and managers had greater powers, as it should be. I imagine that’s still the case. They can waive charges and open and close accounts and so forth, but a teller cannot.

What no bank employee can do is give out info on an account to someone else who says they need to know, even for a missing person, a sick person, a deceased person, not for family and not for friends, without the correct legal documentation.

We had a family friend once whose only parent dropped dead of a heart attack and left her without warning and no access to any money. She was a minor too, and he left no will. I tried to help her, and got some relief, but boy it was tough and the red tape people had little or no heart for her situation.

I’m sure that the online banking system keeps an automatic log of when people access the account. Just because one can do it, doesn’t mean it is secret.

kay74 and human like this.
  2. MntnHiker

MntnHiker Well-Known Member

While the items found in the forest are interesting, I don't think they are nefarious or tied to Amanda. Like others have said, the rake and wheelbarrow are common items used for trail maintenance. I have been on trails when crews have left for the day and most bigger items get left by/on the trails until they come back to continue work. It's a hassle to keep hiking in with big items.

For the sports bra, an innocent explanation could be that someone used it to go swimming in a water fall or whatever, it was wet, so they took it off and hung it off their pack to dry (pretty common to hang items off your pack to dry out) and then it somehow fell off. All MOO, but I think these items are probably out there for reasons not related to Amanda.

If there WAS trail maintenance being done the day she went missing near the trail she was on, I am curious if they have talked to those workers to see if they ever saw her or saw anything odd that day.

3. Cardinal47

Cardinal47 Well-Known Member

I notice the go find me page is continuing to grow. Over $70,000. I hope it's being used to assist searchers or bring in new teams. This must be about day 15. What a rough job for all of them out in the forest! I read record breaking temps in the 90's for some areas of Hawaii. God's speed.

4. FactFinder3000

FactFinder3000 Well-Known Member

The rules are different for law enforcement, though. It varies by state. In many states if the police say they need the information for an investigation, that's enough.

5. Elsa Johanssen

Elsa Johanssen Member

Good info and thank you. I've heard from a couple of LE friends that not all polygraph professionals are the same and their skills can vary depending on police dept. but I can imagine most are capable. The friends agree, though, that it is never the only piece of evidence (which you also mentioned) so it's a good reminder that the investigation of one person doesn't start and end there.

On a different note, I gotta say I'm super impressed with all of the knowledge on Websleuths. The thought process is thorough when analyzing the information given (press/LE) and LE would gain from some of the theories here.

Last edited: May 23, 2019
  6. Astro71

Astro71 Well-Known Member

These are the resources being obtained through the donations:

Poster, Printing, maps, and copying expenses
    Basecamp provisioning including tents, tables, power sources, radio rentals
    Helicopter and FLIR rental
    Civilian search and rescue services beyond volunteer
    ATV and Quad rentals
    Paid advertising
    Private investigator services

Any remaining funds will be used to install wildlife cameras at strategic locations around the Makawao Forrest Reserve trails and other popular recreational areas in Maui to have record of hikers and runner location through the potentially dangerous areas, and significantly reduce search areas and rescue times for missing persons. Hawai‘i ranks eighth in the nation for the number of missing persons per capita, many of which are missing in completely unmonitored recreational areas like the Makawao Forrest Reserve, which are almost impossible to search effectively.

We are eternally grateful for your support, be it monetarily, boots to the ground, whatever you can do.

Source: Findamanda

j_in_c, windrower, human and 15 others like this.
  7. GraceG

GraceG Well-Known Member

But LE still needs a court order under the Right to Financial Privacy Act ( 12 U.S.C. 2401 et seq.). Right to Financial Privacy Act

8. FactFinder3000

They do not. See sections 3408/3409.

I'm no expert on this stuff, but people who are say otherwise.

Also, the privacy agreement you sign with your bank typically gives them permission to share your info with certain parties. That varies by bank.

human and Elsa Johanssen like this.
  9. FactFinder3000

I've been kind of wondering why the whole bank record privacy thing is being talked about? It sounds like Ben or possibly the family had access to her account. There are a number of ways that that is possible.

edit to add: ie., Somebody must have known the password.

Last edited: May 23, 2019
  10. yawningreyhound

yawningreyhound Well-Known Member

Had to pop in on this observation. Brian Perri, solo Rocky Mtn National Park hiker, died in a fall last year after he'd hiked the same mountain numerous times (Mt Meeker). Wasn't found for a month and only found collaterally on a nonrelated search. This time he hiked to celebrate the end of his PhD work at CSU. Familiarity breeds contempt? or Familiarity breeds complacency?

windrower, jash, human and 10 others like this.
  11. otto

otto Verified Expert

The only question it will answer is whether there was any activity on her accounts after 12:15 on the day she disappeared. I'm assuming that there was none, as there's been no report that her accounts were used afterward. How that information was learned, and who did it, really makes no difference.

Suglo, iluvmua, angelina1 and 5 others like this.
  12. missingm

missingm Well-Known Member

He fell near the Summit at about 14,000 feet where the air is very thin and the entire terrain is the top of a mountain. I doubt Amanda was doing anything like this in yoga pants and running shoes.

13. yawningreyhound

yawningreyhound Well-Known Member

Right? I doubt so, too. The only observation I was making was that just because someone is familiar with an area, that doesn't ensure safety. That's all.

windrower, jash, human and 10 others like this.
  14. kay74

kay74 Well-Known Member

Thank You. When we moved to another state, we stayed with the same bank, but this one personal banker we dealt with when we moved here, was asking lots of personal questions and then calling us every 3 weeks to see how we were doing! It was like, What! We then banked at the next town with the same bank with no problem, but that person made me paranoid about being able to access our account even tho there was nothing wrong, it seemed like she was overly nosey if you know what I mean and it was kind of creepy.

15. kay74

kay74 Well-Known Member

Now that we changed bank locations we have a great gal who is our personal banker. We will never go back to that other location.

16. Malamakai

Malamakai New Member

I PM'd the FindAmanda page to ask about the items. They responded with "I'm not aware of any of that". And they have not found anything of Amanda's. Not her sports bra.

17. Malamakai

Malamakai New Member

Not her sports bra, according to FindAmanda

Sunny123 and gitana1 like this.
  18. Malamakai

Malamakai New Member

Apparently, there was trail work being done @ MFR, thus leaving the wheelbarrow, rake, etc. Sports bra was not Amanda's

Razz likes this.
  19. Malamakai

Malamakai New Member

Missing persons (except they found dna traceable remains of Carly Scott). Her boyfriend was sent to prison for life. Yet, she's still on the Missing database

human, HulaMum and gitana1 like this.
  20. Cardinal47

Cardinal47 Well-Known Member

In talking about what Amanda was doing that day I would have to guess nothing strenuous. She had on yoga pants and a sports top with running shoes!
    From the pictures of overgrown flora and downed trees covering trails it looks hard to maneuver. So then I have to wonder if she was just walking why not take her backpack with survival and emergency supplies? A water bottle a snack bar!
    Each of the searchers going into the forest seem to be dressed for the conditions. Why not Amanda?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.