HI HI - Amanda Eller, 35, Trail near Makawao, Maui, 8 May 2019

Discussion in 'Located Persons Discussion' started by Moxie_McTavish, May 11, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alohaj

Alohaj Well-Known Member

Thankfully the forest is at an altitude and lots of shade (so many trees and foliage)so not as hot as ‘downcountry’, where it’s beeen brutal... but still still hot I’m sure.

Cardinal47 and AzPistonsGirl like this.
  2. Alohaj

Alohaj Well-Known Member

I don’t necessarily agree about the clothing. That is exactly the kind of clothing (and shoes) I would wear for all day hikes on Maui and Kaua’i . I would however bring a backpack with some water and food, but I can remember one time doing a day hike on the Na Pali coast on Kauai and not bringing enough water. I can recall it was a 4-5 hour hike and strenuous, some of it on narrow, muddy pig trails. So for a shorter hike or run, doesn’t seem strange to me. Not bringing a backpack or extra water does seem odd though, IMO.

Astro71, human, Hazelnutty and 3 others like this.
  3. Alohaj

Alohaj Well-Known Member

Very few remains though...

4. tigerteeth

tigerteeth Well-Known Member

Right, this is what I wear hiking. And if I’m not expecting to be gone long on a bike ride or something I won’t take water. Personally, I take water on any hike but I can see how if she was running she would not due to heaviness, having to hold it, and side cramping (which a lot of people complain about).

Suglo likes this.
  5. Astro71

Astro71 Well-Known Member

She was going for a run. Most likely on trails. Her attire was entirely appropriate for that.

I take nothing when I run. I park by the trail, leave my things in my car and off I go. I do the same if I’m running near my home. I’ll drink a bottled water a bit before I take off and I’ll have one as soon as I’m back to my car or home. I don’t like running with anything on me and I certainly don’t hold a water bottle.

6. Elana619

Elana619 Member

Same here. I run trails often. If its under 6-7 miles I wont bring water otherwise I wear a vest. I don't know the terrain their but when I hear she went running I think she either got off trail or got injured somehow.

7. gitana1

gitana1 Verified Attorney

What's the feeling here about what could've happened? I jog. I'm paranoid so I carry weaponry. (Knives and bear spray). Usually I have my hyena with me which means I then also wear a backpack (which I hate) to carry her treats, collapsible water dish, water, poo bags, training treats, lights I can put on when it gets dark, etc. It also fits my inhaler, phone, snake bite kit, keys.

But most people I know jog with nothing.

Do people think she got hurt and succumbed to the elements or encountered a human predator?

There aren't the kind of wild animals we have on the mainland that could be a real threat, right? And statistically speaking human predators on trails is something to be concerned about.

But I always worry about snapping an ankle and not being able to get help (and then being eaten by cougars at nightfall. Lol).

How well traveled is the trail and how long were her runs typically?

Last edited: May 23, 2019
    Aston, Sunny123, Traymar and 9 others like this.
  8. Astro71

Astro71 Well-Known Member

Well you’re certainly prepared and there’s nothing wrong with that. I’m an easy target. As far as wildlife goes I think snakes are my biggest concern here. I believe wild boars would be hers.

I’m only assuming that there’s some areas that she could’ve stepped off and fallen. Maybe where the ground gave way. I live where it’s flat so no chance for me to tumble down a mountainside. From the many cases I’ve read of missing hikers that does seem to be the likelihood. I know there are some who have met foul play but I’m not really feeling that in this case. Lord knows I’ve been wrong many times before.

I’m just hopeful for her and her family that she is somewhere waiting on help. Thinking of her and her family daily.

9. Bugurl747

Bugurl747 Well-Known Member

Day 15: MPD Discloses Forensics Report on Amanda Eller’s Phone

May 23, 2019

MAKAWAO, Maui–Dr. Amanda Eller, a Maui physical therapist and yoga instructor, has been missing for 15 days as of today, Thursday, May 23, 2019.

John Eller, Amanda’s father, told Maui Now yesterday evening that the MPD got the forensics report back on Amanda’s phone.

“There was no GPS track,” he said. “She wasn’t running any apps or GPS. All of her privacy settings had been turned off, so there was nothing on the phone.”

He added that the MPD has gone to Honolulu to pick up a piece of equipment that can pull data from the infotainment unit in her car in order to extract its GPS track data.

An infotainment unit is an optional add-on collection of hardware and software installed in a vehicle that can include a navigation system (GPS), music and video players, USB and Bluetooth connectivity, and other capabilities.

The results are not in yet, as the MPD just went to O‘ahu yesterday to pick up the equipment according to Amanda’s father.

Initially, it was believed that the FBI was going to support police in getting the data from Amanda’s car. Family members say that when it turned out the agency was not able to do that, the MPD, on their own initiative, found the equipment and are in the process of extracting the information. Results are expected at any time.

John said the MPD and volunteers alike are faced with organizing and analyzing huge amounts of information from which they need to glean intelligence. So in a joint effort, a virtual data room has been set up in conjunction with the MPD, where all information and data relating to the search for Amanda—leads, tips, video, Facebook pages—will be cataloged, segmented, analyzed and correlated.

We’re working together… everyone wants to help, and that’s good progress,” said John. “The strength of the community effort here—beside the boots on the ground—we’ve got a lot of smart people who know technology on our volunteer team.”

John sees his role in the search as facilitation, coordinating and being a liaison. But he actually has built his own GPS technology tracking company, where his son, Chris, is in charge of product development for the company.

snip

Sarah Hayes and Kim Scott (Carly “Charli” Scott’s mother) have distributed fliers, and knocked on hundreds of doors, collecting leads on additional videos to download and share with the MPD.

Who else was at Makawao Forest Reserve around the time Amanda arrived? When did Amanda really get to the parking lot? Who else was there? Who left after? These are all questions that officials hope to answer by analyzing the video data. It’s a complex story to assemble from video footage.

Ben Konkol, Amanda’ boyfriend, told Maui Now last night that he is “blown away by the organization of the search efforts.”

He is impressed how everyone has come together in such an “organized, determined and loving way.”

It helps so much with the hope, he said. “This is a story of hope, survival and love triumphing over the scariness of it all.”

“This is probably the best team we could ever ask for,” he said, “It feels like family now… but of course we always need more volunteers.”

https://mauinow.com/2019/05/23/day-15-mpd-discloses-forensics-report-on-amanda-ellers-phone/

Attached Files:

Suglo, Traymar, Astro71 and 11 others like this.
  10. Momof4RN

Momof4RN Well-Known Member

And with that self harm just went from the bottom of my list to the top of my list. Not the info I was hoping they would uncover.

11. Mistree

Mistree Well-Known Member

SNIP> “There was no GPS track,” he said. “She wasn’t running any apps or GPS. All of her privacy settings had been turned off, so there was nothing on the phone.”

From the link above,
    I don’t understand this, is this something that would have been done manually before or after?
    Or is it just how she had her phone set up?
    I wonder what type of phone she had ( iPhone or ?)

windrower, gitana1, Traymar and 5 others like this.
  12. iluvmua

iluvmua Well-Known Member

That is what I just thought, when I read that all her privacy settings had been turned off. Jmo.

gitana1, TxMother67 and Mistree like this.
  13. Bugurl747

A friend and I were talking and wondered about venomous creatures she may have encountered on the trail in Maui, and it was to my surprise..there isn't much!

They have LARGE creatures like centipedes, cane spiders, and scorpions.

As for snakes, I mostly read about a worm like snake that is nonvenomous called the Brahminy Blind Snake.
    Hawaii’s native, non-terrestrial snake—the Yellow-Bellied Sea Snake is a venomous water snake.

Brown violin spider and widow spider are similar to the brown recluse and black widow and are venomous but not considered deadly.

Interestingly, when looking up deadly or dangerous things in Hawaii, Hiking came up in a top 15.

"Hiking is one of the coolest things about living in Hawaii, but it is also one of the most dangerous. In order to prevent hiking accidents, never hike alone, always tell someone where you are going and when you should be back, and carry a backpack with the necessities: a flashlight, plenty of water, jackets, food, etc."

15 Terrifying Things In Hawaii That Can (And Just Might) Kill You

What Snakes & Spiders Inhabit Hawaii

I know most people love snakes and insects, sssssorry to disappoint, I didn't include pics ...this time :p

MOO

Last edited: May 23, 2019
  14. erk

erk Member

Wonder if they got any fingerprints off the phone. It seems (in my opinion) whomever touched the phone last would likely be responsible. I can't imagine some random encounter doing it, though. And it could still be she was a privacy nut and had a hiking accident...

windrower, gitana1, jash and 5 others like this.
  15. AzPistonsGirl

AzPistonsGirl Detroit to the Bone

not to get into the whole how-we-each-personally-do-things-and-so-her-doing-the-same-thing-is-normal issue again but... I close all my apps on my phone, my GPS tracking is off, and my location services are all off. No one would be able to find me either. And yet, here I am.

my point is simply that until we know if that was out of character for Amanda, we just don't know if it was out of character for Amanda KWIM?

ETA: I'm a privacy nut. =)

16. Cardinal47

Cardinal47 Well-Known Member

Knowing how dangerous hiking can be and imagining how smart she was it baffles me she went into the abyss alone with no provisions and no telling anybody where she was going or even that she was going! I just don't think she went there. Nothing points to Amanda going into that forest! Things aren't always what they seem to be.

17. beatrixpotter

beatrixpotter Well-Known Member

We've seen some weird items on the local trail we frequent. Once there was a slice of cake on a paper plate on a log and no one else in sight.

18. erk

erk Member

I recall she loved waterfalls... I would prioritize searching those... :(

19. Mistree

Mistree Well-Known Member

I have my gps location service off as well.
    I guess my confusion comes from the way it’s stated, my impression was it was wiped clean, no apps, no anything.
    I thought even if there are apps on the phone whether closed or not, they would still be able to download a history?
    I’m definitely not an expert at this. LOL!

20. NameUser

NameUser Well-Known Member

I know I have been blabbing on about google timeline, but the fact is you can turn everything off and it still tracks you. Only if you loose signal or turn off the phone will they stop tracking you.

"Google still tracks your location even if you turn off the Location History setting. If that setting is paused, the company still tracks where you go"

Link

If you want to hear how it works, check out the podcast "Live and Die in LA" Episode 11 really opened my eyes as to just how much can be seen.

Google does not advertise this, so it is very often overlooked.

I really hoped they checked this and her records more thoroughly than just on her phone.

21. Bugurl747

@Momof4RN I never got the self harm vibe but here is a quick brainstorm....

Regarding self harm...is she someone who always sends packages and cards on time or was the Mother's Day package sent her final good bye to her Mom so to speak? How awful and painful that would be. Does she have any licensed weapons to her name, guns? Her lifestyle and BF don't come across as the NRA type. What would she use? Nothing suspect found in the car. What about in the home? Any notable purchases like rope ,knives, razor blades, or prescriptions for an OD?

Any history of depression, she recently bought a new car, home, things seems good from afar, kinda living her dream. Did she go off into the trail and look for a cliff edge or water fall?

She had lived in Maui for sometime, we haven't heard from any other friends (other then BF and SH) or clients....how did she seem the week leading up to her disappearance?

Did she have any recent arguments, pending break-ups? She seems tenderhearted, genuine, engaged, involved, knowledge hungry for optimal practice, successfully independent.

I don't get a self harm vibe. I think LE is watching from afar quietly ;) MOO

iluvmua, Mistree and NameUser like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.