HI HI - Amanda Eller, 35, Trail near Makawao, Maui, 8 May 2019

Discussion in 'Located Persons Discussion' started by Moxie_McTavish, May 11, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Satchie

Satchie Well-Known Member

Me too, I refuse to allow google and all the other 'services' to exploit my data for profit, I have them all turned off.

2. Nerissa

Nerissa Well-Known Member

I also don't use gps, location stuff nor any apps....it all creeps me out!

But: when stated: there was nothing on her phone: I took it to mean, there was nothing of value towards finding/locating her via her phone....right?
    NOT that it was 'wiped clean'.....if they meant that: first they need to state that clearly...and yeah: that would make no sense in a world wherein she met up with an accident....

Hopefully we'll get some clarity @ that statement

3. Moxie_McTavish

Moxie_McTavish Well-Known Member

Regarding self-harm/suicide....
    It just nags at me that she wanted to set up a time to face-time with mom, but mom was vacationing and busy. And her (only?) close friend on Maui cancelled their meet-up due to sadness about pet kitten dying. If Amanda was really needing someone to talk to, but didn't feel like she had a strong support system, then...

Or if she was considering breaking up with Ben, and it was extremely difficult for her, because of how nurturing and kind he is, and if she felt like there was no one to talk to or build her up in preparation for that difficult conversation....then it's conceivable that she might've just felt so alone or felt such dread about hurting someone whom she genuinely cared about, that she felt like it was easier for her just to end it. (sorry)

You know, some people are very complex. We look at people's outward accomplishments, and their smiling face, and think that "persona" represents who they really are. But sometimes people FEEL very different than their outward circumstances would suggest they should feel.

I'm not trying to be a Debbie-Downer here, but just trying to understand and explore the self-harm option a bit more.

4. Nerissa

Has there been any statement as to whether the phone in the car was a work phone versus a personal phone?
    It's already been stated that there were no phone numbers for family members, 'only emails'. Assume this is in reference to phone found in car, correct? So the phone was NOT wiped clean in that case....
    If that IS a work phone then stands to reason she may have taken her personal phone with her: maybe she turned it off, or the battery died.....

gitana1 likes this.
  5. human

human Well-Known Member

She could have gone off the trail to pee. She could have been bitten by fire ants, bees or a centipede. The centipedes there are like scorpions and the bite is incredibly painful.

Any of these could have startled her and that is when she could have fallen into an unfortunate situation that she could not get out of.

I stepped into some fire ants one time and they were biting me all over and there were a lot of them. Trying to brush them off and get away was my main concern because they hurt. Same with bees. Start running away. Never had a centipede bite but I have seen someone swelling up from it and be in incredible pain.

La Louve, gitana1, Bugurl747 and 2 others like this.
  6. Nerissa

OH - don't get me going @ little fire ants: the scourge of Hawaii island.....it was WAR between me & those buggers! Ugh.
    I didn't realize the LFA menace had reached Maui....? (just wait for the coqui frogs)

7. FactFinder3000

FactFinder3000 Well-Known Member

I've been biting my tongue for some time now, because nobody wants to hear about this angle. I'm at the point now where I highly doubt this was an accident.

If this was self-harm it would explain everything. I find the way the vehicle was left to be highly troubling. Who leaves the key by the tire? Yes, I know it is something some people do, but you have to be incredibly naive to do such a thing. She's 35 years old. She should know better. And she left her purse in plain view. Nobody in their right mind would do such a thing. There are only two options here: either she was incredibly naive or she wasn't thinking clearly.

I thought we heard a while back that she often left the key near a tire. But I've seen conflicting reports. Is this something she routinely did, or not?

8. FindingJonRiley

FindingJonRiley Verified Insider - Jon Riley is my missing brother

No one has witnessed her on the trail. The dogs have picked up a scent only around her vehicle.

windrower, gitana1, human and 2 others like this.
  9. FindingJonRiley

Everyone on Maui leaves their keys in or on their vehicles. Many people surf or are hiking in muddy rainy terrain. It becomes a habit to leave the keys on the car. I don’t know anyone who doesn’t leave their key on their car.

10. Cardinal47

Cardinal47 Well-Known Member

I wonder if she's close with her sister?

Bugurl747 likes this.
  11. sbunny

sbunny Member

For those speculating "self harm," how would she do this and manage to conceal herself to the point that SAR cannot locate her after searching tirelessly with the latest and greatest technology for 15 consecutive days? If she was submerged in water, the body rises in a couple of days or weeks depending on various factors such as water temps. In this search effort, they deployed underwater divers and also had volunteers on the land visually inspecting the waterfalls.

gitana1, Astro71, swedeheart and 4 others like this.
  12. gitana1

gitana1 Verified Attorney

I'm mostly well prepared for my dog because she ex like a two year old. But it's awful jogging with all that junk. The few times I don't have to it feels so free. Bliss.

Astro71 likes this.
  13. KiKiD72

KiKiD72 Member

I was bitten by a centipede once and it hurt for hours! We were camping and it started to rain, we all got under a tarp and the thing bit my finger. Wouldn't like to experience that again. Also had a scorpion crawl up my leg once. But, they aren't usually at higher elevations, atleast not scorpions. Not sure how high up the forest reserve is.

gitana1 and human like this.
  14. FactFinder3000

This wasn't really a good spot to go surfing. But yeah, I do wonder frankly if she might have hiked all the way to the ocean. It's not out of the realm of possibility. And many people swim out, never to be seen again.

15. gitana1

gitana1 Verified Attorney

Forgive me if this has been discussed. Do phones ping without GPS being enabled? And has her phone pinged?

Also, I haven't followed thic ase closely. Where was her phone? Was it left in her car?

This makes me think everyone should have those bicep holders for their phones when they go running and enable GPS when out in the wild or when alone. Especially women.

HulaMum and human like this.
  16. FindingJonRiley

Police don’t find missing persons. Dedicated family/friends get tips that lead to answers. MPD will be investigating from behind a desk after the first 72 hrs search.

Astro71, Suglo and NameUser like this.
  17. FindingJonRiley

You can’t drop a package over 1 pound in a box here. The Haiku staff would’ve rec’d it over the counter. They would remember in this rural office who dropped the package. Same staff are always at the counter.

realanastasia and human like this.
  18. FactFinder3000

If this were true, how is it that car thieves wouldn't know about it? They know far more about these things than you or I. They would be all over this.

I sure don't leave my key on my car. I don't hike near Maui, but still. I'm seriously trying to understand this.

HulaMum, human and CoolJ like this.
  19. Mistree

Mistree Well-Known Member

Hi Gitana
    Her phone, purse and wallet were found in her car on the passenger side floor out in the open for anyone to see
    Her vehicle key or key fob was said to have been under (or around under) her left front tire.
    I’m trying to find answers myself to the phone questions sorry I can’t be of help there.

gitana1, beatrixpotter and human like this.
  20. Alohaj

Alohaj Well-Known Member

I am conscious of my privacy, and most of my location services are turned off, but I know some of my apps have location services, otherwise I can’t use them at all like yelp, redfin, Starbucks. Unless a person has no apps at all on their phone, which sounds pretty unusual to me, It would definitely be a very thorough and conscious effort to make sure there was no GPS tracking or location services at all on the phone, IMO.

windrower, gitana1, sassyblue and 3 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.