HI HI - Amanda Eller, 35, Trail near Makawao, Maui, 8 May 2019

Discussion in 'Located Persons Discussion' started by Moxie_McTavish, May 11, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mistree

Mistree Well-Known Member

BBM,
    I respectfully disagree!
    Many people have been found by police who were missing.

2. tigerteeth

tigerteeth Well-Known Member

Right! I can think of cases right off the bat.

gitana1, human and Mistree like this.
  3. sbunny

sbunny Member

If it were self harm, she would not have been able to conceal herself to this extent. I live out of state from my mother and I send a Mother's Day gift or card each year. I trail run as well, and do not bring water or a phone for runs <5 miles. It is common for surfers to hide their key at the car (in the bumper or on top of the tire) where I live. Nothing seems out of the ordinary (not even the outfit she was wearing, and she did change into running shoes)...until you get to the fact that she cannot be found anywhere. If lost, wouldn't she pop out onto one of the surrounding roads? Would she be so adventurous (if by herself) to venture totally off trail? If she broke an ankle, wouldn't she be close to the trail...unable to move to far? It makes you think she was never on the trails....but then the dog picking up her scent for a short time throws the whole theory. I can't imagine how frustrated her family and loved ones must be.

4. Nerissa

Nerissa Well-Known Member

Alohaj - I am a bit, shall we say, 'different' lol: I have an iphone & don't have itunes, no music, no movies, no games, no nada.
    I text, I call
    If Amanda was into 'tuning' out as has been said: maybe she's similar
    Maybe she eschews distractions from reality as much as I do
    Still wishing to know if the phone in the car was work or personal?
    I already figure phone was NOT 'wiped clean' because it's been stated, at the least, there were emails...
    My question though (well, one of 'em): is if she were going to facetime her mother, as she wished to do that day: then how was she going to if her mother's number wasn't in her phone???
    There is either another phone: or yeah: something weird was done to her phone....

gitana1, jash, beatrixpotter and 2 others like this.
  5. Bugurl747

Bugurl747 Well-Known Member

I was revisiting photos and video surveillance details. Thought I would post what I was looking at,

@ 0.11 in the video, it shows AE at the Haʻikū Market at 10:11 am on Wednesday, May 8 -( before going to the post office) buying 2 boxes of items later described as boxes of dry tea and an energy bar and the darker items under those 2 boxes is the wallet and her black phone.

@ 0.19 she is standing in line and appears to be holding the wallet and phone, assuming the boxes are on the belt waiting to be scanned.

@0.55, there is a close up of her chest and then an image of the necklace she wears. Her BF wears a matching one.

In this video, it mentions LE searching the couples residence.

That 911 call on May 14, 2019. Staged or legit?

"Maui Police Lt. Gregg Okamoto said police and fire personnel responded with a helicopter and rescue crew to search by air and foot. In addition, the Police Department brought in additional search dogs from Oʻahu to assist. Rescue crews made it up almost two miles above the Kahakapao Trail before turning around due to the loss of daylight on Tuesday night, May 14, 2019."

The article below has a lot of details I appreciated re-reading.

https://mauinow.com/2019/05/15/a-week-missing-new-video-shows-amanda-eller-at-haiku-market/

Attached Files:

gitana1, windrower, TexLil and 7 others like this.
  6. FindingJonRiley

FindingJonRiley Verified Insider - Jon Riley is my missing brother

It’s Hawaii. Not the mainland. On some Hawaiian islands, we leave the key in the ignition.

sbunny and gitana1 like this.
  7. FindingJonRiley

Not on Maui

HulaMum likes this.
  8. puakenikeni

puakenikeni Well-Known Member

They get a subpoena, which is not difficult when it’s the “victim.”

gitana1 and FactFinder3000 like this.
  9. K9Enzo

K9Enzo Well-Known Member

I can speak of a recovery that I’m aware of where a teen girl went significantly off trail at a state park, and was found hidden under a tree with dense brush all around. She overdosed on her mom’s pills. First it was just so incredibly sad the loss of her life, second it was not a fast peaceful death that she may have planned with the pills.

My point, a person may put thought into concealing themselves if their intention is to end their life.

10. FactFinder3000

FactFinder3000 Well-Known Member

Yeah, exactly. Like I said, I don't know why this point was belabored. Some states require it, some don't. But LE gets it one way or another. My point was that in this case it appears that friends/family had her password. Maybe not, but that's just how sounded to me, given what they were saying.

missingm and human like this.
  11. Bugurl747

I recall hearing the dogs picking up her scent, do you have a link that is was only around her vehicle? Thanks!

gitana1 and Mistree like this.
  12. FactFinder3000

So true. Some people do not want friends/family to know they harmed themselves.

gitana1 and Detectivediva like this.
  13. puakenikeni

As far as her bank records go, I thought the only point was there was a report that SH was looking or trying to look at the bank records after getting the laptop. This was in a media release and is quoted here somewhere. I just said she should not be. She’s not a friend even, and she’s not LE.

The access for LE is a given and justified, and I actually don’t know why we are discussing it.

gitana1, windrower and FactFinder3000 like this.
  14. puakenikeni

With all the statements here that she was going for a run, remember it’s a hypothetical. She told not one person she was going running (that we know of) or hiking.

She never said she was going to Maui Forest Reserve. No one knows if she drove the car there, or if she did go on a short run or a hike, she could have left earlier and someone else brought the car back late in the day.

From posts by people who have run with her, they all did it on the loop trail. Has anyone seen a post from someone who went with her on the trail from Hunter’s Gate?

From pictures, the upper loop trail is a nice trail. The lower trail might not even be suitable for safe running, does anyone know?

Why would she go there?

gitana1, KatzEye, windrower and 9 others like this.
  15. Mistree

Mistree Well-Known Member

I agree.
    There was a case a few years back ( I think in Texas), couple had returned from traveling the world, moved in with husbands parents.
    Wife woke up one morning and told husband she was going for a jog.
    She was found a bit later high up in a tree from hanging herself. It was on private property even.

16. beatrixpotter

beatrixpotter Well-Known Member

This. I thought it was super hard to actually turn off tracking. That it's always tracking. So I wondered how extreme it was to turn off tracking.

gitana1 likes this.
  17. puakenikeni

The forest is over 3,000 feet elevation. Centipedes don’t like the higher colder area. Also they are nocturnal.

Scorpions live in the more desert areas, and Hawaii doesn’t have the bad scorpions (Arizona bark scorpion of parts of the Southwest US).

gitana1 and KiKiD72 like this.
  18. FindingJonRiley

After 72 hrs, MPD are not searching. Investigating and following leads, but not
    Searching. Police don’t have the manpower.
    Laura Vogel and Moreira "Mo" Monsalve are two high profile missing women cases on Maui bc families promoted the searches. There are more.

KiKiD72, human, HulaMum and 1 other person like this.
  19. FactFinder3000

Yep, I've been wondering this all along. She allegedly was wearing running shoes. The lower trails were muddy. It's just no a good fit.

So maybe she parked in the lower lot and hiked the loop. But in that case, why did nobody see her?

CoolJ likes this.
  20. Bugurl747

I agree and I am hoping that locals have looked at their video surveillance be it business, home, or vehicle that can help place her somewhere.

I'm not familiar with the area, but have been sleuthing the trail.
    Anything anyone can add or point out through these links may be insightful.

**Here are some photos and reviews of the Makawao Forest Reserve via Trip Advisor:

Makawao Forest Reserve - 2019 All You Need to Know BEFORE You Go (with Photos) - TripAdvisor

**Alltrails is my go to for hiking info. In a review 3 months ago, they talk about the trails not being raked. There were a lot of downed trees and the trail was described as treacherous.

Best Trails in Makawao Forest Reserve - Maui, Hawaii | AllTrails

** It also looks like there are bike trails with bike rental options through Krank Cycles.
    The site describes the Makawao Forest Reserve Trail as east loop and west loop that uses a two-way traffic trail, it takes riders through eucalyptus and pine trees and over their roots.

There’s also a section of trail that passes through tropical plants where people enjoy visiting.

The East Loop tends to be wetter than the West Loop Trail and if it’s raining or has been raining can have slippery conditions.

Makawao Forest Reserve Trails & Bike Rental

MOO

CoolJ, MerBeach, windrower and 2 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.