GUILTY HI - Carly Joann 'Charli' Scott, 27, pregnant, Makawao, 9 Feb 2014 - #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Playing catch up here...

Were the clothes that were found by the sister (and inexplicably taken to LE) the same clothes in the photograph posted on MauiWatch yesterday? The blue blanket and black jacket with "rusty stains"?

And, the sweater and skirt found by the volunteers, were they found near where the other clothes were found?

TIA!!

http://khon2.com/

This article says shoes and other valuables found near where her other clothes were found. Not sure if this has been posted yet. Says updated 6 hours ago.

So basically she must have been stripped of almost all if not all of her clothing. Is someone setting this up to be a sexual assault? Was the bf's truck ever at the 20 mile marker at all? Surely someone would have seen it alongside the road. If someone stole her vehicle and took it to Jaws to torch they had to have a ride back, perhaps a car left in the brush, or a long walk home.

Information is starting to get very confusing about the clothing / evidence with different local media sources reporting different and sometimes even conflicting things, and the family asking people not to discuss or post about it on Facebook. Watch for things posted by MauiWatch, Mileka Dudley (a reporter for MauiWatch), Morey Inc (you might want to follow their page as well, they seem to be heading up the Search teams), or the Find Chari Scott people (the name is spelled incorrectly, but they have put in a request to FB to get it changed).

Late last night they announced they'd also be searching the Kula area today, which is quite far (by Maui standards) from where any of the evidence has been found (that we know of), or where they've been searching previously. Kula is Upcountry, on the slopes of Haleakala. Charli lives in Makawao, which is near Kula (sort of between Kula and Haiku). Kula covers a very large geographical area, is quite spread out. It will be interesting to see where they actually focus this part of the search. Much of the search for Mo Monsalves focused in the Poli Poli State Park area, above Kula.

We are expecting rain this weekend, with possible flooding Monday / Tuesday. Hana side usually gets hit the hardest with this kind of weather. Things need to move quickly.

I will say that Mauians are somewhat glad to wake up this morning finding the case is receiving at least some National attention. There is a feeling here that the powers that be have a way of "stuffing down" anything negative that happens here and hiding it from the press, for fear of scaring off tourists (our #1 industry and what our economy depends on). If anyone saw anything that could help the investigation, it was likely a tourist driving back after enjoying the famous Road to Hana on Sunday, possibly from the cruise ship, and they were long gone by the time her disappearance was made public locally. Someone could hold a key in this case and not even know there's a case. We need the national attention, in my opinion.

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/new...issing-pregnant-woman-after-suv-found-torched

" Posted: 02/15/2014
Last Updated: 1 hour ago

WAILUKU, Hawaii - A private search party was looking for a missing pregnant Hawaii woman whose SUV was found torched two days earlier in a rural area.

Carly Scott's mother reported her missing Monday. She told police a family member last saw the 27-year-old redhead Sunday night at her sister's home in Haiku, in northeast Maui.

The search continued Friday for Scott, who is five months pregnant.

Maui police said someone in the search party found "possible evidence" Thursday. But police aren't revealing what was found. They're asking searchers who find possible clues not to touch or move them.

The Makawao woman's burned 1997 Toyota 4Runner was found Wednesday in Haiku's Peahi area. Before the vehicle was located, police found Scott's dog in the nearby community of Nahiku, the Maui News reported."

I live on Maui and have been watching this as close as I can ...

I live in the area and can answer any questions you might have ...

Thank You again to our local Websleuthers - JulieonMaui, MauiJen and Plumeria5 for giving us such useful insight and helping us sort through all that's circulating to know what's really real. You've been a BIG help!!!

I was so pleased to wake up today to see that Carly/Charli's case is getting national attention!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...nant-turns-20-miles-burned-car-abandoned.html

"She picked me up from my house at 8:30, drove out to my truck that I got stuck in Keanae and she dropped me off at my truck -- it took me about 10 minutes to fix my truck, 'cause I had extra light tools with me at that time,' Capobianco said in an exclusive interview with Hawaii News Now. 'And then we came back to Haiku. And I'm pretty sure I saw her lights in my rearview the entire time.'

Capobianco says he went home and went to bed and didn't check to see whether Scott until the following morning. She never got back to him.

The following day, Tuesday, Capobianco says he was awoken about 5:30 a.m. by police knocking on his door. They told him Scott's family had reported her missing and had given them his name. Capobianco admits he didn't have the greatest relationship with the family of his unborn baby's mother.

Capobianco says he went to the police station and was interrogated by detectives investigating Scott's disappearance. He also says he was given a lie detector test.

'The Police told me I failed,' Capobianco says. 'They didn't make me take it again. I'm honestly not convinced I failed, I think they might have just said that as a tactic, but I really don't know - I'm walking around right now without handcuffs on.''

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...miles-burned-car-abandoned.html#ixzz2tPzcBya7
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

http://www.webpronews.com/missing-pregnant-woman-carly-scott-of-hawaii-2014-02
" The search party has reported “possible evidence,” but authorities are requesting that the information be kept vague until further investigation. Police are requesting any searchers to refrain from touching or moving any clues they may discover.

A party of over 30 people -a blend of family members, authorities and volunteers- are a part of the search team, as well as growing help via the internet:"

Information is starting to get very confusing about the clothing / evidence with different local media sources reporting different and sometimes even conflicting things, and the family asking people not to discuss or post about it on Facebook. Watch for things posted by MauiWatch, Mileka Dudley (a reporter for MauiWatch), Morey Inc (you might want to follow their page as well, they seem to be heading up the Search teams), or the Find Chari Scott people (the name is spelled incorrectly, but they have put in a request to FB to get it changed).

Late last night they announced they'd also be searching the Kula area today, which is quite far (by Maui standards) from where any of the evidence has been found (that we know of), or where they've been searching previously. Kula is Upcountry, on the slopes of Haleakala. Charli lives in Makawao, which is near Kula (sort of between Kula and Haiku). Kula covers a very large geographical area, is quite spread out. It will be interesting to see where they actually focus this part of the search. Much of the search for Mo Monsalves focused in the Poli Poli State Park area, above Kula.

We are expecting rain this weekend, with possible flooding Monday / Tuesday. Hana side usually gets hit the hardest with this kind of weather. Things need to move quickly.

I will say that Mauians are somewhat glad to wake up this morning finding the case is receiving at least some National attention. There is a feeling here that the powers that be have a way of "stuffing down" anything negative that happens here and hiding it from the press, for fear of scaring off tourists (our #1 industry and what our economy depends on). If anyone saw anything that could help the investigation, it was likely a tourist driving back after enjoying the famous Road to Hana on Sunday, possibly from the cruise ship, and they were long gone by the time her disappearance was made public locally. Someone could hold a key in this case and not even know there's a case. We need the national attention, in my opinion.

Thank you so much for posting from a local perspective. :seeya:

... If anyone saw anything that could help the investigation, it was likely a tourist driving back after enjoying the famous Road to Hana on Sunday, possibly from the cruise ship, and they were long gone by the time her disappearance was made public locally. Someone could hold a key in this case and not even know there's a case. We need the national attention, in my opinion.

Best I can figure out, the only cruise ship in port (Kahului) on Sunday 2/9 was Norwegian Pride of America ... arrival 8:00am 2/9 ... departure 6:00pm 2/10

Just joining this case. She looks like a lovely person but I have a bad feeling that she's not ok and this is now a search for a body. :( Re the interview with the ex - my hinky meter is all over the place! I don't think this will end well. I hope they ll find her soon before bad weather hits. It's been almost a week.

Thank you to the locals for their excellent contributions! Makes it so much more easy to follow for someone who's never been to Maui.

Is this in the wrong spot? It says 2000's missing, but this is recent right?

I hate hearing about pregnant women going missing, especially since I'm pregnant myself right now. I hope they are able to find her quickly.

Okay, my two cents and I will try to say it so it doesn't get pulled:

1. Charli gets called out to help EX. Why did she go? Obviously, she was not afraid of him. He was smart enough not to say he had car trouble, only that he was stuck in a ditch. Was there any evidence of his car that he had been in a ditch? Mud, grass, etc? I'd be looking at the undercarriage. What does the family say about their relationship? They did not seem to like him. Why? Cheater, abusive, irresponsible?

2. Why was the dog let go? Because the person who did this had no animosity towards the dog. Had the dog tried to bite the person who caused Charli to go missing, it is likely the dog would have been injured or killed. Dog is fine. I have the feeling the dog was either let to run before the incident occurred that caused her to go missing, or that the dog was held in another vehicle while the incident occurred and then released. Dogs can go pretty far and I don't think the distance the dog went is necessarily significant unless the person who caused Charli to go missing took the dog down the road and dropped her off.

3. Cell phone last pinged in a "sharky" area. Clothes found nearby as well? Get rid of the clothes because, well, that's why you find all those feet washed ashore. If a fish or shark can't eat them, they leave them alone. Throw the cell phone either in the water or in the weeds.

4. Dump and burn the car in an area known for the disposal of stolen cars. Big way to cover tracks. Burn the car in case there is evidence left in there, evidence of a struggle, blood evidence, etc.

5. Charli was pregnant and not in a relationship with the father. People can be kind of weird and panicked when they are faced with something they are not ready for, such as paternity, especially when they know they are going to have to foot part of the bill for 18 years. I am not saying he did this, but it has happened in the past.

6. EX failed a polygraph. Now that can just be a case of perhaps he is on medication or was in such a distraught state that he could not be "read" well and it turned out to show he was not being truthful.

I think we all know what happened here and looking at a serial killer is just wasting time. I'll eat my words if I am wrong, but most people are killed or go missing at the hands of someone they know.

Maybe it was an accident. Maybe she was at the water thinking about something. Fell in. Some one stole her car, let the dog go, and realizing whose car it was they torched it.

Sigh.

But those clothes...

Eta: Maybe she had a bathing suit on? But it's night ...

Okay, my two cents and I will try to say it so it doesn't get pulled:

1. Charli gets called out to help EX. Why did she go? Obviously, she was not afraid of him. He was smart enough not to say he had car trouble, only that he was stuck in a ditch. Was there any evidence of his car that he had been in a ditch? Mud, grass, etc? I'd be looking at the undercarriage. What does the family say about their relationship? They did not seem to like him. Why? Cheater, abusive, irresponsible?

2. Why was the dog let go? Because the person who did this had no animosity towards the dog. Had the dog tried to bite the person who caused Charli to go missing, it is likely the dog would have been injured or killed. Dog is fine. I have the feeling the dog was either let to run before the incident occurred that caused her to go missing, or that the dog was held in another vehicle while the incident occurred and then released. Dogs can go pretty far and I don't think the distance the dog went is necessarily significant unless the person who caused Charli to go missing took the dog down the road and dropped her off.

3. Cell phone last pinged in a "sharky" area. Clothes found nearby as well? Get rid of the clothes because, well, that's why you find all those feet washed ashore. If a fish or shark can't eat them, they leave them alone. Throw the cell phone either in the water or in the weeds.

4. Dump and burn the car in an area known for the disposal of stolen cars. Big way to cover tracks. Burn the car in case there is evidence left in there, evidence of a struggle, blood evidence, etc.

5. Charli was pregnant and not in a relationship with the father. People can be kind of weird and panicked when they are faced with something they are not ready for, such as paternity, especially when they know they are going to have to foot part of the bill for 18 years. I am not saying he did this, but it has happened in the past.

6. EX failed a polygraph. Now that can just be a case of perhaps he is on medication or was in such a distraught state that he could not be "read" well and it turned out to show he was not being truthful.

I think we all know what happened here and looking at a serial killer is just wasting time. I'll eat my words if I am wrong, but most people are killed or go missing at the hands of someone they know.

I agree exbf is hinky, but a murderer?

Maybe it was an accident. Maybe she was at the water thinking about something. Fell in. Some one stole her car, let the dog go, and realizing whose car it was they torched it.

Sigh.

But those clothes...

Eta: Maybe she had a bathing suit on? But it's night ...

And keep in mind she is 5 months pregnant. Not likely going for a swim in the dark in that condition. Her sweater was found, too.
I am guessing it was damp and cool as the east sides of the island with all the vegetation get like that at night.

One confusing thing is that the ex-bf was at his home when he called Charli for help with his car. How did he get back home and why did he leave his car? Who gave him a ride home??????

His interview mentioned bringing back light tools to fix his truck which took about 10 min not that it was towed out of a ditch.

One confusing thing is that the ex-bf was at his home when he called Charli for help with his car. How did he get back home and why did he leave his car? Who gave him a ride home??????

His interview mentioned bringing back light tools to fix his truck which took about 10 min not that it was towed out of a ditch.

I'd like to think that these are questions LE have asked him and are verifying his answers.

The one news video I watched this morning (I'll have to find it again) said that they are still treating this as a missing persons case (not a criminal investigation) so who knows.

Best I can figure out, the only cruise ship in port (Kahului) on Sunday 2/9 was Norwegian Pride of America ... arrival 8:00am 2/9 ... departure 6:00pm 2/10

That sounds about right to me - we typically have a large cruise ship docked at Kahului Harbor from Sunday morning through Monday night. I know that I personally will sometimes consider that when planning hikes, etc, on the weekends on the Road to Hana because it is definitely noticeably more crowded on Sunday compared to Saturday because of the Cruise Ship tourists being on island and in the area.

If the BF's truck was in a ditch, someone probably saw it there - many of those someone's were probably tourists who left the island the next day.

If anyone saw anything that could help the investigation, it was likely a tourist driving back after enjoying the famous Road to Hana on Sunday, possibly from the cruise ship, and they were long gone by the time her disappearance was made public locally. Someone could hold a key in this case and not even know there's a case. We need the national attention, in my opinion.

MauiJen - hoping you can help ... thanks!!!

How heavily traveled is this area of Hana Highway that late on a Sunday evening (9:30pm or so)?

Is it possible that Charli went to help her ex-bf and not a single car would have passed them during the short time they were at his truck (I believe he said about 10 minutes in his interview)?

Also, is hitchhiking very common? It is pretty common here and there's a lot of folks who think nothing of giving them rides. Maybe the ex-bf hitched a ride home after his truck broke down/got stuck. If so, then there would be someone who could verify his story I suppose.

Last question - would a tourist even notice a truck off the road, in a ditch or whatever? Like would it be the only one along the whole stretch of scenic highway? Does that make sense? Just thinking I wouldn't pay much attention to a local vehicle alongside the road here but if it was clearly stuck in a ditch, I'd at least look to see if someone was in it & roll my window down and see if they needed help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member