HI HI - Samuel Martinez, 23, from Nebraska, missed flight home, Kauai, 12 May 2021

Discussion in 'Missing Persons Discussion' started by GuyfromCanada, May 29, 2021.

1. Mamamerced

Mamamerced Well-Known Member

I have been told that as you leave Kokee campground on Kumuela Road, the camp is the first driveway on the right.
    That is all I know.

misgrn, Flicka1, dcfi224 and 6 others like this.

2. Hoosier952

Hoosier952 Well-Known Member

misgrn, Flicka1, Tink56 and 5 others like this.
  3. Hoosier952

If Kumuela Road was where his pack was found, it had to have been Sloggett/YWCA or the cabins just before it (you can see the .1 mile trail northwest of Sloggett on alltrails that leads to the cabins). Now I'm wondering if maybe he tried to tackle Canyon Trail from Sloggett, which itself is 6.5 miles (and many say closer to 8) and moderate in difficulty, but has several other trails coming off of it and overlapping it.

Based on reviews, it sounded like taking the entire loop wasn't worth the hassle/time and many suggested just walking a bit past the falls and then heading back. Many mentioned the stream crossing towards the end was too dangerous to pass during wet weather and it required them to basically walk the entire loop back vs just another mile or so to finish the entire loop. I could see a tired hiker trying to push through as to avoid walking 6-8 miles back. Others mentioned the trail was hard to stay on due to overgrowth and they had to rely on their downloaded maps to make sure they were staying on the trail. Steep and muddy were mentioned a lot.

misgrn, Flicka1, dcfi224 and 11 others like this.
  4. 5W's

5W's Well-Known Member

I could be wrong but I believe he was carrying a daypack. I've read that somewhere, if I remember correctly.

misgrn, Flicka1, Tink56 and 3 others like this.
  5. Hoosier952

It sure would be nice if it was a nice bright color that might be a bit easier to spot in the terrain.

Is there ever a time when foliage dies back at all in Hawaii? I assume it's warm enough all the time where it's always green in the valleys.

misgrn, Flicka1, dcfi224 and 3 others like this.
  6. 5W's

5W's Well-Known Member

Unfortunately IDK the answer to either question I wish I did.

misgrn, Flicka1, Tink56 and 2 others like this.