HI HI - Samuel Martinez, 23, from Nebraska, missed flight home, Kauai, 12 May 2021

Discussion in 'Missing Persons Discussion' started by GuyfromCanada, May 29, 2021.

1. JaredScheppers

JaredScheppers Well-Known Member

It’s definitely looks like it.

2. Trackergd

Trackergd Verified SAR Manager and Tracker - Retired

Excellent question @Laughing

It would be great if we could confirm this one way or the other. It only takes drinking once from a contaminated source to completely debilitate a person.

3. zecats

zecats Well-Known Member

Hawaii search still on for missing Nebraska hiker

BBM

Ted Martinez said the family, of North Bend, Nebraska, filed a missing persons report with Lincoln Police last Wednesday, a day after Samuel Martinez missed his flight home.

Extensive land and air searches began Sunday with a focus on Kokee and Waimea state parks, including the Kukui Trail, Sugi Grove, the Alakai Trail and Kalalau Beach, The Garden Island reported.

The fire helicopter checked inaccessible western and northern regions of the island, the newspaper reported.

Searchers identified the location of a pasture on the way to Kokee that Samuel Martinez took videos of on May 13, one of his last known locations.

Rescue crews on Sunday and Monday handed out flyers and spoke to hikers. Police drove all-terrain vehicles through the Waimea Valley and spoke with campers and hunters, police said.

sassyblue, shefner, DeDee and 12 others like this.
  4. JaredScheppers

JaredScheppers Well-Known Member

Quick update: Immediate family (parents and brothers) are headed to the island today to join and thank volunteers.

jash, j_in_c, bettyboop and 38 others like this.
  5. DeDee

DeDee Well-Known Member

Thank you for informing us of the Martinez's plan to go to Kauai. May they be richly blessed and fruitful in their quest.

6. azure

azure Well-Known Member

I wonder what his system for charging his phone was. You can buy a solar charger pretty affordably, and they're small. I would think that would be a must for a hiking trip such as this, if only to have consistent access to the maps app.

If he had a solar charger and could theoretically charge anywhere, his phone shutting off suggests that either his phone was broken or something happened to him such that he couldn't charge the phone.

I am, however, a young woman who travels alone, and thus my iPhone is surgically attached to me both for documenting purposes and in case I get into trouble. It may be that Samuel brought a regular charger and figured he'd charge when he could.

7. Laughing

Laughing Well-Known Member

A friend is posting here, and said that Mr. Martinez does have a LifeStraw.

8. DeDee

DeDee Well-Known Member

The thing with solar cell phone chargers is they take 20+ hours to get a fully charged battery. But, not only that, the sun is required.

I checked the weather forecast, knowing his family is headed to Kauai. It's 60% rain tomorrow but lessens a bit over the next five days. Experience tells me, it'll rain for a while, then the sun shines and so forth goes the day. However, it is forecasted to be cloudy during those five days.

I'm not trying to shoot down your wonderful idea for I think it's likely he packed a solar charger for his cell phone. He lost direct contact with family soon upon arrival, mhoo, due to the insufficiently charged ph battery. Any other options are too painful to consider at the moment.

Kauai Weather Guide and Forecast - Hawaiiactive forecast for HI 96766

9. Trackergd

With the amount of searchers, aircraft, hikers and others as well as the time that has passed, the % probability that Samuel is mobile and lost is dropping and the % probability that he is stationary due to illness or injury is rising. A good reminder that it is critical to have a whistle with you whenever you are out hiking or camping. I also suggest a mirror, flares and a bright tarp you can lay out as a signal for search aircraft, orange on one side and blue or reflective silver on the other. Generally an immobile person is easier to locate as you are not trying to hit a moving target, however if they are laying down and not able to respond to searchers, they can he hard to see for 90% of searchers. I resort to animal indicators, actions of birds and animals to humans and other predators in their area, but that's not what most searchers are trained for. Regrettably after an extended period of time, you are left with only one option, a line search. The area is broken up into grids and the searchers are lined up fingertip to fingertip and walk in a strait line from one end of the grid square to the other looking at every inch of ground, under every tree and in every bush, wash and drop off. It's also how searches for forensic evidence is done. If every trail has been searched, then Samuel went off trail. When you go off trail, it only takes going about 10 feet into thick woods to become invisible to searchers. Praying that he is found soon.

jash, Traymar, sof1e and 42 others like this.
  10. Trackergd

Something else for volunteer searchers, SAR, LE and family to look for. Check along all the trails were Samuel was known to have been by either cell pings or the video. Look for "push downs", long grass or vegetation that has been pushed down by someone walking on it. The grass or vegetation is always pushed down in the direction of travel. They may look like animal trails, so check for prints and verify if animal or human. If human, this might be where Samuel went off trail looking for a place to camp or rest.

Traymar, Suglo, j_in_c and 36 others like this.
  11. NervousNellie

NervousNellie Well-Known Member

@Trackergd - You always share wonderful information. Thanks for all your educating posts. Hoping for the best for Samuel.

12. zecats

zecats Well-Known Member

Martinez family meets with Hawaii police about missing UNL student

The family of Samuel Martinez — the University of Nebraska-Lincoln student who went missing in Hawaii on May 12 — traveled to Kauai to join on-ground search parties for the microbiology student in an effort now led largely by volunteers.

His parents and two brothers flew to the island Thursday, according to Samuel's father, Ted Martinez, as the search for the 23-year-old nears its second week.

“We wish to thank our friends and family here stateside that have stood by our family and helped start the search efforts,” Ted Martinez said in a message to the Journal Star.

Kauai police met with Martinez family members Friday and provided them with the details of the search efforts to date.

Kauai Search and Rescue, along with its associates, continue to search for Martinez but the active search ended Thursday, a Kauai police spokeswoman said.

It’s been more than three weeks since anyone has heard from Samuel Martinez, who disappeared after flying to Kauai on May 12 with the intention of hiking and camping for two weeks. Ted Martinez said his son’s last contact with the family came the day he landed on the island.

Samuel Martinez was reported missing to the Lincoln Police Department on May 27 after he missed his May 25 flight home.

13. DeDee

DeDee Well-Known Member

The family said they have a better understanding of why their son wanted to hike in such a beautiful place since they arrived on-island, and they also have a better understanding of how large the search area is.

“We’re just blessed to have the people of Kauai looking for Samuel as they are, and accepting us as a family,” said Ted Martinez.

He was last seen wearing a black Nike baseball hat, navy blue shirt, orange and brown jacket and had his black backpack with him.

“He was geared up, he was ready to go,” said his father Ted. “He’s lost in one of those valleys, there’s numerous valleys, he’ll be found, and they’ll find him.”

Samuel’s parents said the terrain is much different than what their son is used to, although he has experience in the outdoors.

“He’s a very fit young man, so we have the utmost confidence in him to be able to survive in a climate like this. However, he was a novice hiker, when you look at this type of terrain,” his father said.

“It does feel good to be here, and look around and see what he’s seeing and be here with him,” said Samuel’s mother Cherie.

“Being here and seeing maybe what drew Sam here and just getting a hug from every person we meet, just saying where we are looking for him because we want to and we want to help you and they don’t know us, I am continually prayerful and faithful and hopeful and just waiting to see him,” she said.

The family has been overwhelmed by the strangers who have been helping look for their son day and night for the last week, but more volunteers are needed.

“We’re hoping to get more volunteers up there for tomorrow [Sunday, June 6], experienced hikers or people that can drive and transport hikers to and from trailheads,” said Ted Martinez.

“Samuel is lost, Samuel needs help, and they’re going to find him and we’re all going to find him together,” he continued.

His father was emotional while he thanked all the volunteers and State and County officials who have assisted in the search so far.

Volunteers have been meeting at the Kokee Lodge and Pavilion. For more information on the search, click here.
    Search continues for missing man on Kauai, volunteers needed

AnnaGrace, Suglo, mpnola and 27 others like this.
  14. zecats

zecats Well-Known Member

I wish I could be as optimistic as his parents are. The fact that it was already 3 weeks that he was last seen or heard from before they reported him missing makes it so difficult to hang on to hope that he has survived this long.

There is always hope though, so until we know differently, I will keep hoping. Fingers crossed, good karma, prayers, whatever it takes to bring this young man home to his family. May it be today.

15. zecats

zecats Well-Known Member

Search continues for missing man on Kauai, volunteers needed

This says last seen by a female on May 14th. I thought other reports stated May 13th as the sighting at the campground.

Wondering if this is new info or just a typo/misreporting. Or if I'm remembering incorrectly.

Jun 5, 2021 / 06:28 PM HST /
    Updated: Jun 5, 2021 / 06:29 PM HST
    HONOLULU (KHON2) — The family of Samuel Martinez, the Nebraska man who went missing on Kauai on May 12, flew to Kauai Thursday evening to be briefed by officials who have been looking for him.

Martinez was last seen on Friday, May 14, in the area of Kokee State Park and Waimea State Park. Kauai police officials said his phone was last pinged in that area on May 12 around 8 p.m.

Samuel’s father, Ted, said the last sighting was on May 14 in the late afternoon. “It was raining heavily, and a gal did see him up there,” Ted said.

“We’re hoping to get more volunteers up there for tomorrow [Sunday, June 6], experienced hikers or people that can drive and transport hikers to and from trailheads,” said Ted Martinez.

“Samuel is lost, Samuel needs help, and they’re going to find him and we’re all going to find him together,” he continued.

16. Inthedetails

Inthedetails Well-Known Member

Raining in a steep terrain makes me think he slipped. jmo

17. DeDee

DeDee Well-Known Member

"Samuel’s father, Ted, said the last sighting was on May 14 in the late afternoon. “It was raining heavily, and a gal did see him up there,” Ted said."

That was also in the news report that was linked by me. Somehow during the copy/paste function, it was omitted.

I wonder where "up there" is. Also, I wonder who the gal was and if it's legit. I believe it is since she said it was raining heavily.

It's hard to know whether or not Samuel was prepared for the rainy, windy climate. Also, temps drop significantly after sundown. I pray that he was.

It's mango season on the island. It's not unusual for farmers to place their yield inside a wire cage at roadside. By using the honor system, you take what you need and place money into a container. These cages are built off the ground to keep critters from eating the fruits that may include coconuts and pineapples, as well.

jash, windrower, AnnaGrace and 23 others like this.
  18. Hoosier952

Hoosier952 Well-Known Member

You're remembering correctly. Publicly released info until recently had the last sighting on May 13th by a fellow camper at the campground Samuel was staying at. Since it was a reserved campground, I find this sighting to be fairly reliable as it doesn't require identifying someone by appearance. I also believe someone from the park system confirmed he made it, but I can't find the article off hand. Eyewitness accounts are always sketchy when based on appearances alone, so I hope the sighting on the 14th is credible.

I wonder if they've been able to get in contact with anyone/everyone who reserved camping spots in the same campgrounds Samuel had reservations? Many probably wouldn't remember weeks later if someone was camping next to them, but contacting hikers early on may have been difficult with limited reception if campers were out hiking.

19. DeDee

DeDee Well-Known Member

Samuel's bright lime green sleeping bag would likely not go unnoticed. Keeping it dry may have been an issue.

Checked the Wiamea weather on the 14th to find it rained .01" which doesn't seem to be heavy rain but it could have been, for a brief while, in his particular spot when the "gal" saw him. (Weather underground link posted earlier in thread.)

You know how we are fact based oriented at WS. If LE doesn't tell us, then did it really happen?

20. Hoosier952

Hoosier952 Well-Known Member

I'm not sure his sleeping bag would have been visible to other hikers. I would think he would keep it in his pack. I typically put mine in a drybag inside of my pack so there's no risk of it getting wet even if it rains or I have to cross water. I would imagine drybags would be a necessity in Hawaii.

Do you happen to know where the weather station for Wiamea is? I'm wondering if it could have rained harder up on the trails than in town? I would imagine rain is pretty spotty on the island.

It would be nice to know what he purchased at the store before he took off on his hike. Was he planning on returning to the store sometime during his trip or did he get enough food for his entire stay?

It would also be nice to know if park services have any type of check-in system for any/all campsites. It seems like many are just backcountry permits, which wouldn't help, but if any of them had check-ins, it would at least shorten the timeline and possibly shrink the search area considerably.