Deceased/Not Found HI - Samuel Martinez, 23, from Nebraska, missed flight home, Kauai, 12 May 2021

GuyfromCanada

Reaction score
—Kauaʿi police seek help with finding missing Nebraska man—

LĪHU‘E – The Kauaʿi Police Department (KPD) is asking for the public’s help with locating a missing person.

Samuel Martinez, age 23, of Nebraska, reportedly flew to Kauaʿi on May 12 with the intention of hiking and camping while on island. According to a report, he was expected to return to Nebraska on May 25 but allegedly missed his outbound flight.

This missing person case was initially reported to the Lincoln Police Department. Nebraska police reached out to KPD on May 27 at which point a miscellaneous outside assist report was generated and an investigation on-island commenced.

According to a preliminary report, flight records and safe travel records indicate that Martinez did indeed land on Kauaʿi on May 12 and was screened for entry onto the island at the Līhuʿe Airport. Further investigation revealed that Martinez acquired eight separate permits to camp at different locations around the island, including Kōkeʿe State Park and the Kalalau Trail.

Multiple attempts to contact Martinez have been unsuccessful and the investigation remains ongoing.

Martinez is approximately 6 feet tall and weighs around 180 pounds. He has brown hair and brown eyes.

Anyone with information about Martinez’s whereabouts on Kauaʿi is urged to call KPD at 241-1711. Those who wish to remain anonymous can report a tip to Crime Stoppers Kauaʿi at 246-8300 or cskauai.org.

190840560_338649054280683_7381860030728049895_n.jpg

193908307_338649034280685_8129467812474837299_n.jpg

Kauai police seek public’s help in locating missing Nebraska man

Apparently, Kalalau Trail has some pretty dangerous areas throughout the trail, especially if it's rained recently. I wonder if Samuel had already hiked and camped there or if that was his last known location? I noticed there is a guard person who checks permits at the Kalalau Trail entrance, but do they actually record who goes in and who comes out at the entrance? Would all entrances have a guard?

This is so frightening to hear. No word from him since May 12th.

I don't have facebook but I am trying to see if one of his relatives has twitter, because I do have a twitter account.

If I were them, I would definitely contact Senator Mazie Hirono of Hawaii directly. She has a twitter page.

Samuel's family could always contact their Senator first and ask if he would contact Senator Hirono to inquire if she could provide assistance or pass the information on.

https://twitter.com/maziehirono?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^author

There is a dedicated FB page for Samuel: Samuel Martinez - Missing Nebraska Man Kauai, HI
His last contact was 5/12. His last known location was Waimea on 5/13. He was scheduled to be at Kokee State Park campsite #2 5/12-5/13. Kōkeʻe State Park
At least his itinerary is pretty specific with locations, dates and campsite numbers. This gives searchable areas and a timeline to follow. Also perhaps there are other campers registered at same times who may have seen him.

There is a dedicated FB page for Samuel: Samuel Martinez - Missing Nebraska Man Kauai, HI
His last contact was 5/12. His last known location was Waimea on 5/13. He was scheduled to be at Kokee State Park campsite #2 5/12-5/13. Kōkeʻe State Park

Isn't he on the completely wrong island then? Google maps sends me to the big island vs Kauai island when I type in Waimea.

Edit: Misinformation- Waimea, HI 96743 is on Kauai Island and not far from where he's supposed to be camping.

Last edited:
Nebraska man still missing | The Garden Island

Probable location?? He apparently had a ride to a grocery store from someone.

LIHU‘E — A missing-persons report filed in Nebraska has identified Kaua‘i as a probable location for Samuel Martinez, 23, of Lincoln, Nebraska, who last had contact with his family May 12 after arriving on the island.

“If the people who were so kind to give Samuel a ride to the grocery store (would) please reach out,” his father Ted Martinez said, they may be able to shed some light on where the young man may have been heading.

Anyone with information about Martinez’s whereabouts is urged to call KPD at 241-1711. Those who wish to remain anonymous can report a tip to Crime Stoppers Kaua‘i at 246-8300 or cskauai.org.

Here is a map I made in case it would help anyone. I was getting confused. I cannot locate Samuel's last stop of the itinerary from FB. Also not sure on stop #2. HI - Samuel Martinez, 23, Kauai, 12 May 2021 - Google My Maps
Thanks Hoosier. Can you add the airport to the map? He was driven to a grocery store from the airport according to the article linked above. "After arriving on Kaua‘i, Martinez received a ride to the grocery store on the Westside from the airport from an unknown party, his father said."
I wonder if the grocery store he went to was the Big Save Market in Waimea and that was the last known location.

Last edited:
Thanks Hoosier. Can you add the airport to the map? He was driven to a grocery store from the airport according to the article linked above. "After arriving on Kaua‘i, Martinez received a ride to the grocery store on the Westside from the airport from an unknown party, his father said."

Hi there guys! I’m a friend of Sam’s and I would like to hop into the conversation to provide more information/get answers, if that’s okay! The grocery store was the Big Save in Eleele.

I've been hiking in Kauai, though it's been several years since I was there. There are areas of wildnerness, but the island itself is not big so that gives me hope he will be found.

Did he have any plans to be in the beach, in addition to hiking? The surf can be rough there.

jmo

Hi there guys! I’m a friend of Sam’s and I would like to hop into the conversation to provide more information/get answers, if that’s okay! The grocery store was the Big Save in Eleele.
Hi Jared, Welcome! So sorry it was concern for a friend that brought you here, but glad you decided to join. Please consider becoming a Verified Insider for Sam's case. That will enable you to post info that is not being reported in mainstream media. It's an easy process: Verification Process for Professional or Insider Posters

Hello @JaredScheppers i hope your friend just fell in love with the island. When was the last time he was in contact with anyone??

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crimedeepdives23
Back