Holland - Multiple people injured in Tram shooting, possible terrorism, Utrecht, 18 March 2019

gregjrichards

Reaction score
A5DCB463-0F01-4C45-AB15-2456BC8E65C2.jpeg 034B7C2F-A5A0-4F77-BBCD-54BD1FFC3047.jpeg

A number of people have been injured in a shooting in the central Dutch city of Utrecht on Monday morning, which may have had a 'terrorist motive' according to police,

One or several gunmen opened fire on a tram in the city centre at around 10.45 local time on Monday morning, witnesses say.

Police told local media that one or multiple assailants had fled the scene.

Holland shooting: Gunman opens fire on tram in Dutch city of Utrecht | Daily Mail Online

My thoughts and prayers are with the injured.

Yelle Tieleman‏ @YelleTieleman 5m5 minutes ago
Op de Trumanlaan gaat de DSI zo een actie doen, lijkt het.

Translated from Dutch by Microsoft

On the Truman Avenue, the DSI is going To do an action, it seems.

Yelle Tieleman‏ @YelleTieleman 45s45 seconds ago
Beweging. Politiemannen rennen richting de Trumanlaan. Pers wordt op afstand gehouden.

Movement. Police men run towards the Truman Avenue. Press is kept at a distance.

Yelle Tieleman‏ @YelleTieleman 2m2 minutes ago
Nog meer zwarte busjes met sirenes naar Trumanlaan. Arrestatieteams. Wij moeten zo verplaatsen ivm de veiligheid.

Even more black vans with sirens to Truman Avenue. Arrest teams. We have to move about safety.

Schietpartij Utrecht: live persconferentie NCTV

On the 24 Oktoberplein in Utrecht shots were fired in a tram at around 10.45 hours . There are several wounded. The perpetrator is on the run.

What we know now:

There are several wounded after a shooting in a tram. The number of casualties is still unknown.
The threat level in the province of Utrecht has been scaled up to the very highest level. This has never happened before.
The police do not rule out a terrorist motive
Tramway traffic in Utrecht has been halted

The square, a traffic square, is amply fenced off to give emergency workers space. Several trauma helicopters have been deployed.

The police and NCTV are taking additional safety measures around Utrecht Central station and the arriving and departing trains, reports NS. The highest threat level for terrorist attacks has still been declared throughout the province. This will in any case last until 18:00 tonight.

BBM

Even if this is a terrorist attack, IMHO it would still be a local thing, maybe even personal. The best location for a terror attack would be the nearby Utrecht Central Station, the largest station in the Netherlands, with trains arriving from and leaving for all corners of the country. I'm always glad when I'm out of it.

Simone Tukker
@simonetukker
reporter @EenVandaag

I am on the Trumanlaan, in the heart of Kanaleneiland. Mass deployment of arrest teams here. The situation is tense.

Simone Tukker on Twitter

BBM

Well, that did not take long. Less than 5 minutes by car from the crime scene, and in the same neighbourhood. Since no description of the perpetrator has been given, IMHO the closure of all mosques is probably a tad premature.

Dennis van Ommeren‏ @DvanOmmeren reporter @RTVUtrecht

Next to the tram, a body is lying under a white sheet...

D175WZuWkAErqj9.jpg

BBM

Casualties have not yet been confirmed.

4 MINUTES AGO
Possible flight car
Reporter Maino Remmers spoke with a local resident who had noticed the possible red escape car, on the corner of Boomgaardlaan and Tichelaarslaan. "The car had been running for about three hours with the engine on, the window slightly open and a note hanging out," the woman says.

She went to the car, but is secretive about the contents of the note. "I've read the last line, but I'd rather not say what it said." The forensic service is now on site and a construction site in the area has been evacuated.

Dreigingsniveau Utrecht naar hoogste niveau: 'Blijf binnen tot er meer bekend is'

Dreigingsniveau naar hoogste niveau door incident Utrecht

A witness of the shooting told NRC that a man stood up [ in the tram ] and started shooting around him "with a big pistol". "I was sitting in the back of the tram. He shot around him, but seemed to aim at people sitting on the benches - everyone dived down" says the woman who wants to remain anonymous. "The driver could not open the doors immediately. Two boys next to me then kicked in a window through which I fled outside. More people did that."

BBM

So the attack happened from inside, not from the outside. The perp was riding the tram, he must have gotten on it at some point.

Gemeente Utrecht on Twitter

Following the shooting incident at the 24 Oktoberplein, the municipality of Utrecht, the police and the OM (triangle) advise everyone in Utrecht to stay inside until more is known. New incidents cannot be excluded. The police are currently still looking for the perpetrator.

BBM

This seems very local.
Strangely, all trains are arriving to and leaving from the nearby Central Station according to schedule. So you cannot leave your house, but you can catch a train.

Politie Midden-Nederland

De politie vraagt u uit te kijken naar de 37-jarige Gökman Tanis (geboren in Turkije) in verband met het incident vanmorgen aan het #24oktoberplein in Utrecht. Benader hem niet zelf maar bel direct de opsporingstiplijn 0800-6070

The police asks you to look out for the 37 year old Gökman Tanis (born in Turkey) associated with the incident this morning at the #24oktoberplein in Utrecht. Do not approach him but call 0800-6070.

upload_2019-3-18_14-34-52.png upload_2019-3-18_14-35-2.jpeg upload_2019-3-18_14-35-18.jpeg

Gökmen Tanis was known to the police and the press before:

Gökmen Tanis. the suspect shooter from Utrecht, is the same one who in August 2011 on a GSTV video harrassed our then reporter Chantal Hanse on the Oudegracht in Utrecht. "Your whole *advertiser censored* is wide open" and "and you're a democrat" he said to the Playmate of the Year 2009 - at the time we could still laugh about it (video after the break). Today he is the main suspect of the shooting in a tram in Kanaleneiland, in 2017 he was also suspected of a rape, which was the subject of a court hearing at the beginning of this month. His name and address (in Kanaleneiland) already appeared in 2011 in the comments on Dumpert. GeenStijl spoke today with someone who knows him well, and says that he comes from a strictly religious family. And now he is suspected of a terrorist act.

hhttps://twitter.com/geenstijl/status/1107639971870056450

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cevans
Back