Holly Bobo, missing from TN 2014 discussion #3 ***ARREST***

Discussion in 'Holly Bobo' started by nursebeeme, Mar 5, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. oceanblueeyes

oceanblueeyes Well-Known Member

It is a confusing issue no doubt jggordo. You could be exactly right since all GJ proceedings are kept confidential. My husband was on grand jury duty just last week and they told him he could be called back anytime during the next 6 months if so needed.

Can a Judge hold a hearing about this matter in his chambers as long as it is on the record? Or have one in the courtroom but seal the courtroom to all outsiders including the press? So that any witnesses and evidence will not be revealed publicly?

The only reservations I have about doing it through a GJ is jurors are there to bring indictments or no bill cases. Since an immunity deal is neither, I just don't know how that would work. Although GJs have been used as investigative tools also.

It seems to me the only one who could null and void the immunity deal would be the presiding Judge and the Judge does not go back in the room with the GJ. Do Judges have to also sign off on immunity deals like they do plea deals when they were given or is that done strictly through the prosecutor's office? I honestly don't know the answer.

In all the years I have kept up with cases I don't think I have ever run across a situation where the DA was wanting to actually rescind an immunity agreement. I have seen them tell the one getting immunity that it will be null and void if they do not testify truthfully come trial time.

IMO

2. pearl

pearl Well-Known Member

3. ktgirl

ktgirl Verified College Instructor

4. oceanblueeyes

oceanblueeyes Well-Known Member

I have been thinking.:floorlaugh:

I believe Austin's attorney is on a fishing expedition.

Imo, he knows his client is going to be arrested eventually.

What better way to get the evidence they have on Austin than for the DA having to say what they have as evidence showing Austin lied.

It gives the attorney a heads up on what the evidence is going to be against his client without having to wait for discovery.

IMO

5. dog.gone.cute

dog.gone.cute Kyron Horman - Missing Since 6-4-10

:seeya: Morning Y'all !

Checking in to see if there is any action.

Any more :jail: . . .

:doh: Most of them are in :jail: already ...

Also wondering IF the GJ will convene this week ?

:moo:

6. Suthrnqt

Suthrnqt Verified Luddite

Are there any members of the
    A-train not accounted for? Lol I really don't know. :seeya:

7. dog.gone.cute

dog.gone.cute Kyron Horman - Missing Since 6-4-10

:seeya: Good question ... not sure of ALL the names, only from what I read over there :facepalm:

Oh wait, I guess the best place to start checking to see if they are all accounted for is on vinelink ... oh, and that other place :facepalm: ...

:moo:

8. katydid23

katydid23 Well-Known Member

Does 'over there' mean Topix? :waitasec:

9. Kimster

Kimster Former Member

Yes. Please discuss the "other place" "over there".

:kimsterwink:

10. AmandaReckonwith

AmandaReckonwith Defective Detective

11. shefner

shefner Member Since 2008

:bricks: Apparently its true in the lawyer world too: There's one born every minute.

12. Mr. Noatak

Mr. Noatak New Member

My opinions only, no facts here:

From news reports it sounds like there are no discovered remains. Lacking that, one would hope that the sworn depositions are from people of high regard and clean records.

I get the feeling that authorities are waiting on DNA analyses from vehicles, etc. and holding their breath in the meantime.

Sleuth On!

13. Mr. Noatak

Mr. Noatak New Member

14. Tugela

Tugela Well-Known Member

The immunity deal was conditional on them finding her remains where he said they would find them, plus some other specifications relating to exactly when the remains got there.

Apparently LE didn't find anything there when they executed their warrants, so he was lying.

The problem for the prosecutor is that they were depending on his account of what happened to be accurate, and the remains would have served to corroborate that. But no remains meant that the deal he received for his other crimes could be viewed at trial as an incentive to lie about what happened to Holly. If his testimony is their primary evidence they will be stuck in a hard place since they have already filed homicide charges in the Bobo case. If they had to drop the charges because of this, double jeopardy would kick in, and they would not be able to recharge even if other evidence appear later.

To solve that problem, they have withdrawn immunity (as they are entitled to do as per the agreement). This left him with no protection on the unrelated charges. Also, since he had provided them with statements concerning what happened Holly, he would be implicated in that and can therefore be charged. They could use his statements against him in trial, which would no longer be compromised by the deal.

To get himself out of this mess and avoid homicide charges he would have to testify for the prosecution, but without the deal on his unrelated charges.

This of course raises an interesting question, if the primary evidence they have is the informers testimony, can they really be sure that he wasn't just telling them what they wanted to hear so he could get out of unrelated charges?

I suspect that they are desperately looking for some sort of solid corroboration in the mean time.

15. Tugela

Tugela Well-Known Member

If the abductor was walking next to his sister, he would have a ready made yardstick since he would have known how tall his sister was. The general dimensions as first described should be reasonably accurate since it would be relative to Holly, whose size is known.

If you were looking at someone walking alone in the distance, you would not be able to accurately estimate their size.

16. Foxfire

Foxfire New Member

Tugela, General McAddams said no body' was found. Technically, this does not mean that other forensics evidence wasn't found during the ZA property search; partial remains, bone fragments, hair, or photos/videos, etc.

This may simply be a legal maneuver by the prosecutor utilizing semantics/legalese, to back out of the full immunity agreement, imo. I can't remember when an alleged conspirator in a kidnapping/murder was given full immunity by the prosecutor Imo, in a crime this heinous in nature. Taking the death penalty off of the table in lieu of LWOP, would have been sufficient to gain his cooperation, imo. This get out of jail free card offered him was entirely too generous, imo..

Double jeopardy wouldn't apply until and unless he was actually prosecuted, imo.

Double Jeopardy - 5th Amendment to the US Constitution
    http://www.law.cornell.edu/wex/double_jeopardy

17. xlm13

xlm13 New Member

BBM

As I understand it, double jeopardy applies to being tried or convicted for the same crime more than once, not being charged more than once. OTH, the world's a safer place with ZA locked up.

18. ~n/t~

~n/t~ New Member

IMO no body includes remains. If they would have found her remains, they would have said so and would not have to go with Austin's immunity deal.

Sadly, they don't have her. No body, no body parts, nothing, IMO.

We don't know what they do have that convinced the Bobos Holly is deceased. They apparently have enough to charge 2 of the three with her murder.

Blood? Would that be enough? IDK

19. ~n/t~

~n/t~ New Member

He can't be prosecuted for the same crime after acquittal or conviction.

Example: Casey Anthony. She was acquitted and can't be charged and tried again for Caley's murder.

20. Foxfire

Foxfire New Member

Mr. Noatak, I honor and respect your opinion/s, and appreciate your tireless efforts, but disagree that the evidence located during the searches were planted. Although in the Jessica Ridgeway, and other abductions, the planting of evidence was used by the perp to deflect or confuse investigators.

Imo, it is the norm for the perp to discard items of the victim in route to their safe havens. It is also the norm in many abductions for the victim to discard or plant evidence in a hansel & gretel type trail to enhance the chances for a rescue, or enable authorities to prosecute the perp. jmo..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.