Hospital Sues Patient For Trespassing

MagicRose99

Watch out for my thorns!
Reaction score
ROSEVILLE, Calif. -- A case involving Sutter Roseville Medical Center suing an elderly patient for trespassing is going to court.

Sutter Roseville Medical Center has been Gouveia's home for the past year, but the hospital said her health stabilized and she is ready to be moved to another facility.

Gouveia's family disagreed and refused to sign her release.

In response, the Sutter hospital charged Gouveia with trespassing.

http://www.kcra.com/news/16905009/detail.html

I've read about cases like this before.
The sad thing is that some elderly get in a comfort zone at the hospital and don't want to leave. Top that with many having families who don't want to care for them at all. :(

It probably also has to do with Medicare or Medicaid paying after so long. I don't know how they work it now, but patients used to be able to stay on a regular hospital floor a certain amount of time then they transferred them to a rehab floor and maybe even then to another floor. I suppose after that they had to go to a nursing home. Maybe the family doesn't want the lady to go into a nursing home.

What I don't understand is that in the article it says that she cannot receive breathing treatments at a nursing home... My dad who's been in/out of the hospital .. and resides at a nursing home is able to get all sorts of breathing treatments.. He went back to the nursing home yesterday after 10 days in the hospital. We thought he'd need a bi-pap breathing machine at night but the "lung doctor" said he could go with regular oxygen ... BUT the nursing home was all set to take him with the bi-pap if needed.

I feel sorry for the lady ... if her family cannot care for her then they need to get her into a skilled nursing facility ... at least there she could settle into some normal routine in at least a LITTLE more of a home like setting.

I'm amazed that the hospital has been patient this long...

It probably also has to do with Medicare or Medicaid paying after so long. I don't know how they work it now, but patients used to be able to stay on a regular hospital floor a certain amount of time then they transferred them to a rehab floor and maybe even then to another floor. I suppose after that they had to go to a nursing home. Maybe the family doesn't want the lady to go into a nursing home.

There are all kinds of time limits on what medicare will pay .. but they seem to be fairly generous... not sure about medicaid - but a year is a long time.. and I know we've been advised by my folks nursing home that about 3 months before "the money is gone" (they're on private pay right now) we need to get them on the medicaid waiting list ... as once the money runs out if the nursing home doesn't have a bed then medicaid decides where they go...

This doesn't make sense to me either. My dad has been in and out of the hospital and had to go to nursing homes twice for rehab and he got breathing treatments there.

Pamlet, does your father have COPD? Mine does and it sounds like they may have the same disease. My father came home from the nursing home a week ago with hospice.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cabinsleuth
Back