How many serial killers have never been caught in america

• Thread starter Deleted member 185742
  • Start date
Atlanta black women Slasher

Atlanta prostitutes Killer 1985-1996

Atlanta Lover Lane killer

Charlie Chop-off was almost certainly Erno Soto.

Two unapprehended serial killers from the 1910s (one was a contract killer, but I count those as serial killers):

"The Shotgun Man" (identity unknown)
Years active: 1910-1911
Victims: 15
Modus operandi: Black Hand hitman. Killed Italian immigrants.
Area of activity: Illinois

"The Midwestern Axeman" (identity unknown)
Years active: 1911-1912
Victims: 22
Modus operandi: Broke into homes and killed entire families with an axe, sexually assaulting the females.
Area of activity: Midwestern United States (Colorado, Illinois, Kansas, Iowa)

"The New York Strangler" (identity unknown)
Years active: 1896-1898
Victims: At least 5
Modus operandi: Robbed and strangled women. Tied some of the victims with a sailor's knot.
Area of activity: New York

This is horrible!!

So many unsolved! Murderers still out their. MOO--many of these cases are hard to close since I believe the killer has no ties to the victims. Random killings, many believe long haul truckers or anyone who travels the interstates a lot for business.

Then there are the "Zodiac Killers" who kill at random to outsmart the law. Sick

It would be possible to make a better prediction regarding any of them being connected if each had a summary of their MO and victim profiles, I think.
Do you think any of them are connected?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I know the FBI says there are 40-50 serial killers at one time in America, but I think its way off, they don't want to up that number not wanting to alarm the public.

A retired FBI agent stated the number was closer to 250 to 400 at one time.

Let's see, we have 50 states, with 325 million people.......& out of 325 million, we're suppose to bieve only 40 to 50 are around, yeah right.

To answer the question, I think quite a lot of serial killers have never been caught.

Given the fact that we have 200,000 unsolved cold case murders in the United States since 1980, there is no way that there are so few serial killers. While I am not implying that they are all the work of serial offenders, my guess is that the 250-400 active serial killers active may be a better number. Agreed on the not wanting to alarm the public.

Bill Thomas
Brother of Cathleen Thomas
Colonial Parkway Murders
ColonialParkwayMurdersMap.jpg

I know the FBI says there are 40-50 serial killers at one time in America, but I think its way off, they don't want to up that number not wanting to alarm the public.

A retired FBI agent stated the number was closer to 250 to 400 at one time.

Let's see, we have 50 states, with 325 million people.......& out of 325 million, we're suppose to bieve only 40 to 50 are around, yeah right.

To answer the question, I think quite a lot of serial killers have never been caught.

And all these cases are ones where (1) the crimes were determined to be linked and (2) received enough publicity to get "named".

Just think of how many others there are whose crimes have never been connected, or haven't received publicity.

Not to mention the ones smart enough that their victims are never found.

Yeah, hundreds seems more likely than 50.

I've read not too long ago that the number of serial killers has been decreasing, because with modern forensics, DNA, cameras everywhere, GPS, constant communication due to cell phones, etc, that potential serial killers are getting caught before they are able to rack up a large body count. Seems reasonable, but don't know how true that actually is.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Other unsolved cases:

Great Basin Murders (likely Dale Wayne Eaton)
Rawlins, WY Rodeo killer (likely Royal Long)
Flint, MI prostitute killer
Hartford, CT prostitute killer
New Orleans Serial Killer (likely Victor Gant or Russell Elwood)
Pittsburgh, PA prositute killer
Lewis Clark Valley serial killer (likely Lance Voss)
Grand Rapids, MI serial killer
Missouri River Killer (likely Gregory Breeden)

You are probably right on the money about Lance Voss being a serial killer. There are cases in California that he could very well be responsible for.

This question regarding how many serial killers have never been caught has always been a curiosity to me BUT EVEN MORE IS HOW MAY ACTIVE SERIAL KILLERS ARE OUT THERE NOW

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fallon
Back