How to Start a Missing Person Thread and other thread edits

How to edit your post or thread title

Please note: Once you publish a post, you'll have only a limited amount of time to edit it. Once the timer has expired, you will need mod assistance to make any changes.

To edit a post:

1. Click the Edit Post button at the bottom of your post.

2. Make desired changes to your post.

3. Add a reason for editing, if you wish.

4. Click the Save button.

To edit a thread title:

1. Click the Edit Post button at the bottom of the opening post.

2. Click the Go Advanced button at the bottom of the post.

3. Make desired changes to your title.

4. Add a reason for editing, if you wish.

5. Click the Save button.

Last edited by a moderator:
Please note: Once you publish a post, you'll have only a limited amount of time to edit it. Once the timer has expired, you will need mod assistance to make any changes.

To edit a post:

To edit a thread title:

LOL! Thank you sis! :loveyou:

How to repair a broken quote or broken link in your post

A broken quote often looks something like this:

Possibly surveillance where he may have made a purchase before the crime?[/QUOTE

Instead of like this:

Possibly surveillance where he may have made a purchase before the crime?

If quoting another member's post, the opening tag will look like
, which includes coding that takes you back to LoisLane's original post when you click the little black box next to her name.

If the quote is an excerpt from a news article, however, the opening tag would simply be the word QUOTE in brackets. For example:

Police are asking for the public's help to find a missing St. Augustine woman last seen at the Giggle Gator last Friday around 2:45 a.m./QUOTE]

The closing tag at the end of the quote includes a forward slash with the word QUOTE in brackets. In the two examples above, each closing tag is missing a bracket.

If you have a broken link in your post, click the edit button and study your opening and closing tags. There may be more than just a bracket missing; the entire tag may have been accidentally deleted. Replace whatever is missing, add a reason for editing if you wish, and click the Save button.

Repairing a broken link is a similar procedure; only the tags are different. The opening tag would have URL in brackets and the closing tag at the end of your link would be [/URL].

Any questions? Feel free to ask!

thanks, I have been having this a lot and I haven't done anything different. I think it may be an issue with my work PC.

To edit a post:

To edit a thread title:

I think this was posted for me. Lol

I always do a search before posting but what if i find after I posted that I have created a double post. Can I delete or do I still need to alert a mod?

I think this was posted for me. Lol

I always do a search before posting but what if i find after I posted that I have created a double post. Can I delete or do I still need to alert a mod?

No, definitely not just you, lol. These tutorials address some of our most frequent requests for help.

You do need to alert for mod assistance with duplicate threads. It's an easy fix though, so don't feel shy about asking.

I read the format on adding a missing person. When I went to add one, i had to choose a location from a drop down menu. I thought that was going to put the state in front of my post.
I tried to edit, but was unable to change the headline.
If an admin could be please put WA in front of the Sierra Boje post, I would be a grateful newbie!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I was just about to ask the same question and came looking to see how to start a thread for her. I'm on phone so don't think I can.

You may not have enough posts yet. I use my phone for WS and have posted new threads without a problem 😁 .Just keep posting and you'll get there!
(I soooo miss Carlos, he was amazing! I had messaged with him on fb a week or so before he passed. I miss waking up to new threads from him. 😢😢)

It is much easier to connect with a case when you can put a face to the name, so we do encourage that pics be included in case threads whenever possible.

The fact is, not everyone has a high level of technical proficiency in dealing with images - including me - and I'm very interested in having a conversation about it so we all can learn more.

It's a good bet we have members around here who could teach us quite a lot about image hosting, editing, resizing and so forth, so I'm starting a thread on this topic in the Forum Finesse section. Hope to see you there!

All About Images & Image Hosting

I have posted a few missing persons that stated no photo available but I try to pass that info along with the post. : )

How do you go about asking a MOD to correct or change someone elses thread title?

Do you have to have so many posts before you can start a thread? I'm thinking that's the case and came across an active Amber alert so maybe someone else can start it

http://abc13.com/amp/news/missing-5-year-old-girl-in-jellystone-park/1909974/

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

this must be the case! i have been a long time fan of this website.
this website is such a valuable resource. I never imagined that i would be trying to reach out on here the way that i am. I have all the information ready to plug in for a friend of a friend who has been missing for over 2 weeks. the button to start a new thread is nowhere to be found! reading all these replies about OCD triggering when things are in the wrong format alarms me, and points me to the notion that not just anybody can hop on here and start a post. it must be well informed and planned.
with all of this being said i am very frustrated and feel like i must start contributing more on this community and not just be a spectator.

A quick question: What if there is no poster/MSM available? An old friend from high school has been missing for 10 days now and all we have are social media postings about it and inclusion in the Active Missing Persons list on Missouri Highway Patrol's website. The AMP list includes her name, DOB, gender, race, etc. but there is no poster and no photos outside of social media. Is this just a "nope" affair? TIA

A quick question: What if there is no poster/MSM available? An old friend from high school has been missing for 10 days now and all we have are social media postings about it and inclusion in the Active Missing Persons list on Missouri Highway Patrol's website. The AMP list includes her name, DOB, gender, race, etc. but there is no poster and no photos outside of social media. Is this just a "nope" affair? TIA

A law enforcement agency is a good source; include a link to the MHP page and you're good to go.

A pic is not always available at first and can be added to thread later.

20 posts is the magic number. I was able to post a new thread! (I made one for Minetssy)

This question is more about 'closing' a missing person thread. If the person had a page on NCMEC or LE website, but it's no longer than, is that enough to close the case as them being found, or does it need to be actual LE saying 'person is found'. I feel like quite a few cases, especially with kids, end up not having a LE saying 'person found', so I am just wondering about that. Is there a link to go to find out more information about this aspect?

This question is more about 'closing' a missing person thread. If the person had a page on NCMEC or LE website, but it's no longer than, is that enough to close the case as them being found, or does it need to be actual LE saying 'person is found'. I feel like quite a few cases, especially with kids, end up not having a LE saying 'person found', so I am just wondering about that. Is there a link to go to find out more information about this aspect?

Generally, if a case disappears from NCMEC or NamUs, it's a pretty good bet the missing person has been located. Not 100%, but often enough that we will accept it in order to close a case.

How do i post thread on here?

Many years ago,like in 1978,79 i was either at a family outing or a school outing and i ran away,and found two strangers and they said they don't know me,but i said i know them. Was at a musuem in Wash D.C.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jbks
Back