Christopher Clements indicted for Isabel Celis & Maribel Gonzales homicides
CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE DISCUSSION

Huge dust storm smothers Phoenix

Discussion in 'Weather' started by zwiebel, Jul 26, 2014.

1. zwiebel

zwiebel New Member

A massive dust storm has engulfed Phoenix, cutting power to more than 10,000 Salt River homes and stopping flights at the airport.

'Visibility could be reduced to less than a quarter of a mile in some areas,' and drivers are being warned to pull off the road if they're caught up in it.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/weather/towering-dust-storm-smothers-phoenix-area-n165466

'Known as an “Haboob”, the intense storms can generate winds of up to 40 miles per hour.'

http://www.news.com.au/world/massiv...eople-lose-power/story-fndir2ev-1227002420659

Attached Files:

2. Meryl12

Meryl12 Member

That is a BIG dust storm. I feel sorry for all the people (and animals) in its path.

3. Bravo

Bravo Well-Known Member

That is massive. Thanks for the heads up. Need to call my Sis and BIL who live there. Was out there and had a car rental a few years back. Out of nowhere came a sandstorm. I assume the same as a dust storm? Nowhere as massive as this. It was frightening. Rocks flying and one managed to hit the windshield.

4. Nova

Nova Active Member

Meanwhile, it's raining here in Palm Springs, same desert but 270 miles east. We've had flash flood warnings for two days.

Who says desert weather never changes?

(Bravo, we have smaller sand/dust storms here (smaller because our valley is narrower and we are surrounded by mountains) and, yes, people often have to replace their windshields afterwards. Blowing sand leaves pits in the glass.)

5. Meryl12

Meryl12 Member

Looking at that dust/sand storm it is easy to see how it can clog up the jets of an aircraft and bring an aircraft down. The "Haboobs" they get in Africa can be 30,000 feet high, the same height an aircraft flies at. It is easy to see how a "Haboob" could be the reason the "Air Algeria" plane crashed, (the crash happened at about midnight). It would be impossible to see the boundaries in the dark. The incredible and unpredictable forces of nature.

6. LaLaw2000

LaLaw2000 Louisiana

How surreal and frightening!

7. nrdsb4

nrdsb4 Well-Known Member

I was in a city once that had a severe dust storm, though it wasn't a haboob like the one in Phoenix. People were walking around wearing ski goggles and scarves (it was April in a city with a warm climate). I was leaving town that day and I remember I could feel dust particles crunching in my mouth, even after multiple efforts to rinse. Yuck.