Hungary - Camerawoman reporting on refugees filmed kicking children to the floor

Status
Not open for further replies.

zwiebel

Reaction score
Hungarian journalist/camerawoman Petra Lazlo of N1TV has been filmed kicking and tripping fleeing refugee children at the Hungarian border, while wearing a surgical mask.

Her TV station, which is run by the Hungarian political Jobbik party said its 'working relationship' with her has ended and the matter is closed as far as it's concerned.

Lazlo herself hasn't commented and there doesn't appear to be any police investigation either.

Video at link, filmed by a German journalist.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...awoman-fired-for-kicking-Syrian-migrants.html

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-09-08-23-14-32-1.jpg
    Screenshot_2015-09-08-23-14-32-1.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 221
Sickening. I'm glad she was recorded and reported.

AFP is naming her as Petra Laszlo but I'm not sure if that's correct.

http://news.yahoo.com/hungarian-tv-camerawoman-fired-kicking-fleeing-migrants-195852061.html

ETA: Spelling is 50/50 in media. Maybe a Hungarian poster can let us know which spelling is likely to be correct?

I'm not Hungarian, but I've known a few people with the first name Laszlo (Spanish, Hungarian, Slovakian) but never Lazlo. The fictional character from Casablanca is Victor Laszlo but I believe he was Czech. Laszlo Almasy (The English Patient) was Hungarian.

Sickening. I'm glad she was recorded and reported.

What's scary is that she did this knowing there are tons of cameras around. She obviously felt confortable enough to act in such a despicable manner. Why?

I think it is no coincidence that this woman worked for a far right newspaper. I also think the climate of Hungary in general needs to be examined. Look at their response to the refugee crisis in relation to how other European countries are responding.

I view this in light also of history. Hungary supported the nazis wholeheartedly. Today, there is a virulent anti-immigrant sentiment there and a strong neo-nazi movement.

German citizens are greeting the refugees with welcome signs, cookies and stuffed animals for the kids. Hungarians are welcoming them like this- a "neutral" reporter kicking and tripping little children and the downtrodden.

Germany is quite a different place since the nazis were in power. Hungary, not so much.

What a revolting individual and how sad to see Hungary reacting in this way.

Mind you, the UK is hardly covered in glory at this point. I find myself increasingly dismayed by the downright nastiness being expressed by far too many people here.

People's willful ignorance about the awful situation Syrians find themselves in right now. I read posts saying that they aren't really refugees but economic migrants. Their homes are being blasted to pieces or gassed, they are caught between Assad and IS. Young men have the compulsory call-up to become cannon fodder in Assad's army - really, who wouldn't try to get the **** out of there?

I even read something blaming Aylan's family and saying they should have stayed in Turkey. Again, willful ignorance kicking in - Turkey is quite clearly and obviously anti Kurd and has been for decades. Aylan's family are Kurds - look at the attacks by Turkish government forces on legitimate Kurdish political party head-quarters and civilian Kurds this week. I believe several civilian Turkish Kurds have been killed by government forces just today. Why on earth would any Kurd feel safe in Turkey?

I just despair at the lack of compassion in some quarters to be honest.

Petra Laszlo has given an interview. It's in Hungarian which I don't speak, but as far as I can make out she says she is shocked at what she did and shocked at what has happened to her. She also says she was scared as the refugees rushed towards her and didn't even notice they were children. Excerpts in the NY times say she says she's been the subject of a witchhunt and is not a heartless racist.

Laszlo also tells the reporter she is a single mom and is now unemployed.
Hungarian language
http://index.hu/belfold/2015/09/10/nem_kert_elnezest_de_megbanta_a_tettet_laszlo_petra/

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/09/12/world/europe/europe-migrant-crisis.html

She is facing minor charges of something that translates as 'truculence' but prosecutors say they are considering other charges. The latest refugee scandal out of Hungary is video showing hundreds of refugees in a pen, scrambling to catch small bags of food being thrown by police. Problems are being reported with the youngest and strongest refugees pushing their way onto the few buses and trains to Austria first, leaving women and children unable to get on, but the border seems to have been shut down again now, with no public transport between the two countries,I think.

Video at link:
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-34216883#?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

I see, she's really a nice person who just had a bad moment and just snapped? Please.......

Here's Daily Mail's take:

'I'm not a heartless, racist child-kicker. Something snapped in me': Hungarian camerawomen who tripped up refugees apologises and claims she thought she was being attacked

Petra Laszlo worked for TV station run by far-right anti-immigration party

Footage showed her tripping desperate Syrian father carrying crying child

TV station sacked her for 'unacceptable' behaviour after watching video

She has now apologised, saying she thought she was being attacked

Laszlo also denied she was racist and claimed 'something snapped in me

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ugees-apologises-claims-thought-attacked.html

What's scary is that she did this knowing there are tons of cameras around. She obviously felt confortable enough to act in such a despicable manner. Why?

I think it is no coincidence that this woman worked for a far right newspaper. I also think the climate of Hungary in general needs to be examined. Look at their response to the refugee crisis in relation to how other European countries are responding.

I view this in light also of history. Hungary supported the nazis wholeheartedly. Today, there is a virulent anti-immigrant sentiment there and a strong neo-nazi movement.

German citizens are greeting the refugees with welcome signs, cookies and stuffed animals for the kids. Hungarians are welcoming them like this- a "neutral" reporter kicking and tripping little children and the downtrodden.

Germany is quite a different place since the nazis were in power. Hungary, not so much.

I am deeply ashamed by the lack of action by the UK, then what would I expect from a bunch of old etonions and former members of the bullingdon club

Being interned in refugee camps. They were put on a train and told it would take them to Germany (or Austria, I don't remember offhand) then the train headed to the camps. They were lied to about where they were going, which must have been terrifying.

Hungarian journalist/camerawoman Petra Lazlo of N1TV has been filmed kicking and tripping fleeing refugee children at the Hungarian border, while wearing a surgical mask.

Her TV station, which is run by the Hungarian political Jobbik party said its 'working relationship' with her has ended and the matter is closed as far as it's concerned.

Lazlo herself hasn't commented and there doesn't appear to be any police investigation either.

Video at link, filmed by a German journalist.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...awoman-fired-for-kicking-Syrian-migrants.html
What a total disgrace for a human being.

Being interned in refugee camps. They were put on a train and told it would take them to Germany (or Austria, I don't remember offhand) then the train headed to the camps. They were lied to about where they were going, which must have been terrifying.

It makes one think of the most horrible parallels in history - I know there is no suggestion of doing anything like Nazi Germany, but herding people together on trains and just treating them like cattle with no humanity is a really worrying development,

There has just been a report on the news in the UK - the Hungarian camp guards have literally been throwing food at the detainees rather than serving it to them.

Disgusting behaviour.

Petra Laszlo has given an interview. It's in Hungarian which I don't speak, but as far as I can make out she says she is shocked at what she did and shocked at what has happened to her. She also says she was scared as the refugees rushed towards her and didn't even notice they were children. Excerpts in the NY times say she says she's been the subject of a witchhunt and is not a heartless racist.

Laszlo also tells the reporter she is a single mom and is now unemployed.
Hungarian language
http://index.hu/belfold/2015/09/10/nem_kert_elnezest_de_megbanta_a_tettet_laszlo_petra/

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/09/12/world/europe/europe-migrant-crisis.html

She is facing minor charges of something that translates as 'truculence' but prosecutors say they are considering other charges. The latest refugee scandal out of Hungary is video showing hundreds of refugees in a pen, scrambling to catch small bags of food being thrown by police. Problems are being reported with the youngest and strongest refugees pushing their way onto the few buses and trains to Austria first, leaving women and children unable to get on, but the border seems to have been shut down again now, with no public transport between the two countries,I think.

Video at link:
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-34216883#?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

So according to PL, in her words, she is the victim in this situation. Boo hoo.

She thought she was under attack by a man carrying a small child so stuck her foot out to trip the man - if I thought I was under attack by a man carrying a small child, I would run in the other direction. What was weighing her down?

Nice try PL - imo you had to know no one would believe you when you came up with this excuse. You're unemployed by your own despicable decision - and took your country down a notch or two in the process. Again, boo hoo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni