Hurricane Dorian - August/September 2019 #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good morning. Happy to hear everyone is safe. This has been a long-traveling and far-reaching storm. SE NJ Shore is expecting high surf and dangerous rip currents. Plus wind and some flooding. I’m lucky to say for this storm I didn’t have to tape any windows. I did forget to put my chairs inside though, so hopefully they don’t blow off. . They might meet up with that Jeep somewhere. :)

I’d say the East Coast US dodged a major danger.

Hurricane Dorian Update Statement

SUMMARY OF 700 AM EDT...1100 UTC...INFORMATION
----------------------------------------------
LOCATION...35.0N 76.0W
ABOUT 30 MI...50 KM WSW OF CAPE HATTERAS NORTH CAROLINA
ABOUT 40 MI...65 KM NE OF CAPE LOOKOUT NORTH CAROLINA
MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS...90 MPH...150 KM/H
PRESENT MOVEMENT...NE OR 50 DEGREES AT 14 MPH...22 KM/H
MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE...956 MB...28.23 INCHES

Good morning everyone! It's not an official east coast hurricane thread without a post of the cam from the Frying Pan:

Frying Pan camera - live video from the Outer Banks | Explore.org

Our flag was still there:
get

New Jersey
The shore counties today will especially see high winds, with gusts up to 50 miles per hour, as well as the potential for some flooding.
What Gov. Murphy says N.J. can expect from Hurricane Dorian

New York City/Queens/Brooklyn/Long Island/Staten Island
A tropical storm warning has been issued for a stretch off the South Shore of Long Island. The city is closing its beaches Friday and Saturday. There will be rip currents and possible ocean swells of up to 10 feet along New York City shorelines. Coastal flood advisories have been issued for southern Queens, Brooklyn and Staten Island, starting at 1 p.m. Friday through 6 p.m. Sunday. The Staten Island Ferry is operating as normal, but inclement weather could cause cancellations or delays.
City orders beaches closed as Hurricane Dorian approaches; coastal warnings issued for Brooklyn, Staten Island, part of Queens
Tropical Storm Warning Issued Off Long Island Ahead Of Dorian

Connecticut
Any impacts from Dorian will be confined to coastal sections of the Atlantic coast line with dangerous rip currents, high surf, and the potential for minor coastal flooding
What to expect from Dorian today

Rhode Island
The strongest winds will be on Block Island and along the coast, where gusts could reach 40 mph. In Providence, the wind will gust to about 29 mph. Newport is likely to get the most rain of more than an inch. Most of the Ocean State should get about a half inch of rain.
Dorian to deliver rain, strong wind, big surf to Southern New England Friday into Saturday

Massachusetts/New Hampshire
The steadiest and heaviest rainfall along the south coast will come between 11 p.m. Friday and 11 a.m. Saturday. For the remaining coastal areas of Massachusetts, New Hampshire and Vermont, expect gusts between 30 and 40 mph on Saturday morning. Inland of Interstate 95, wind gusts will be much lower, in the 20 to 30 mph range.

Cape Cod/Nantucket/Martha's Vineyard area
Cape Cod, Martha’s Vineyard and Nantucket are under tropical storm warnings. Nantucket could get nearly 3 inches of rain, and expect wind gusts between 40 to 60 mph on Saturday morning. Some downed trees, branches and power lines are possible.
Dorian to deliver rain, strong wind, big surf to Southern New England Friday into Saturday

Maine
There is a Tropical Storm Watch in effect from Schoodic Point to Eastport. Rain will start early Saturday morning. It’ll be heaviest at the coast. Winds will pick up Saturday too, especially at the coast. By mid morning Saturday we’ll have 30-40 mph wind gusts and could gust between 40-50 MPH along the Midcoast and Downeast Coast.
Dorian will impact Maine this weekend

Atlantic Canada/Nova Scotia/New Brusnwick/Saint John/Moncton/Prince Edward Island/Newfoundland and Labrador
Dorian is expected to spin into the Maritimes this weekend as either a Category 1 hurricane or a strong tropical storm, churning out sustained winds up to 130 km/h. It's supposed to hit Nova Scotia Saturday afternoon and make its way through the province over the following 12 hours. Nova Scotians should expect to lose power. In New Brunswick, Fredericton could receive up to 50 millimetres of rain, and Saint John and Moncton could see close to 100 millimetres. Most areas will experience tropical storm-force winds. Prince Edward Island is bracing for wind gusts as high as 120 km/h and over 100 millimetres of rain. The centre of the storm is forecast to pass off the eastern end of P.E.I. by early Sunday morning. Dorian is also expected to have varied effects in Newfoundland and Labrador, ranging from high winds and heavy rain in some places to a slightly above average rainy day in the capital.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/hurricane-dorian-atlantic-canada-1.5272509

United Kingdom
The UK is on alert for lashing winds and torrential rain to arrive around the middle of next week as two mega-tempests plough in from the Atlantic. Hurricane Dorian is on track to take a northeastwards turn and will begin to lose power before uniting with newly-formed Tropical Storm Gabrielle churning the Atlantic off the west coast of Africa. The remains of both weather systems will merge into one 1,500-mile wide low-pressure cyclone before speed-charging northeastwards towards the UK at speeds of 100km/h. It will bring a bout of wet and windy weather mainly to northern parts of Britain towards the middle of next week.
Weather warning MAP: Hurricane Dorian on direct path for UK as it merges with HUGE vortex

bbm

Last edited:
Hurricane Dorian Public Advisory

...EYE OF DORIAN NEAR CAPE HATTERAS NORTH CAROLINA...

SUMMARY OF 800 AM EDT...1200 UTC...INFORMATION
----------------------------------------------
LOCATION...35.2N 75.7W
ABOUT 10 MI...15 KM WSW OF CAPE HATTERAS NORTH CAROLINA
MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS...90 MPH...150 KM/H
PRESENT MOVEMENT...NE OR 50 DEGREES AT 14 MPH...22 KM/H
MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE...956 MB...28.23 INCHES

Hurricane Dorian Public Advisory

SUMMARY OF WATCHES AND WARNINGS IN EFFECT:

A Storm Surge Warning is in effect for...
* Salter Path NC to Poquoson VA
* Pamlico and Albemarle Sounds
* Neuse and Pamlico Rivers
* Hampton Roads

A Hurricane Warning is in effect for...
* Surf City to the North Carolina/Virginia border
* Pamlico and Albemarle Sounds

A Hurricane Watch is in effect for...
* Nova Scotia

A Tropical Storm Warning is in effect for...
* North Carolina/Virginia border to Fenwick Island DE
* Chesapeake Bay from Drum Point southward
* Tidal Potomac south of Cobb Island
* Woods Hole to Sagamore Beach MA
* Nantucket and Martha's Vineyard MA

A Tropical Storm Watch is in effect for...
* Prince Edward Island
* Magdalen Islands
* Fundy National Park to Shediac
* Francois to Boat Harbour

Welp. A tree fell on my garage pretty much destroying it. I still have no power. I, my daughter, our two dogs, and all the neighbors are just fine. That's all that matters in the end. I hope everyone else in the path of the storm is doing okay. Much love to all the victims their families and their friends.

Adrian Farrington struggled to keep his 5-year-old son afloat after Hurricane Dorian hit their home on Abaco Island in northwestern Bahamas. They clung to each other, surrounded by surging waves and floating piles of debris.

After an hour of wading in the water with his fractured leg, Farrington, 38,told the Nassau Guardian he grabbed his son and put him on top of a roof to protect him from flooding and the dangers lurking in the water. He implored the boy to close his mouth, stop crying and keep breathing, he said.

But before he could climb up to join Adrian Farrington Jr., a gust from the hurricane dragged the boy into the surge. That was the last time he saw him, he said.

“I still could remember him reaching for me and calling me, ‘Daddy,”” the grieving father told the paper at the local hospital in the capital of Nassau, where he’s getting treatment for broken bones.
He put his son on the roof to keep him safe after the hurricane; a storm surge swept the child away

Welp. A tree fell on my garage pretty much destroying it. I still have no power. I, my daughter, our two dogs, and all the neighbors are just fine. That's all that matters in the end. I hope everyone else in the path of the storm is doing okay. Much love to all the victims their families and their friends.
Thank goodness that you are all ok
I was asking about you last night because I was so worried that we hadn’t heard from you for a few hours x

Thank goodness that you are all ok
I was asking about you last night because I was so worried that we hadn’t heard from you for a few hours x
Thank you for your concern. I really appreciate it. It was a rough go there for a while. I'm so glad everybody here appears to be okay. I can't stop thinking about our neighbors in the Bahamas. What they are going through is just horrendous. I'm trying to find ways to help.

A historically black university in Virginia is offering help to college students in the Bahamas who have been affected by Hurricane Dorian. Hampton University will offer a free semester to University of the Bahamas students displaced by the deadly storm.

University of the Bahamas students will be able to continue their studies on the Hampton, Virginia campus for the fall 2019 semester at no charge, Hampton announced Thursday. The schools' leaders came to the agreement after the hurricane caused extensive damage to the island nation.

Hampton University offers free semester to University of the Bahamas students displaced by Dorian

The storm is not over yet for the outer banks

From the WRAL live updates page:

9:10 a.m. —
A resident of Ocracoke Island told WRAL News said his house on Ocracoke Island is flooding as storm surge brings high water to land.

“I’ve never seen the water like it has been," Scott McNally said. He's lived on the island for 25 years.

He’s 6-foot-2, and the water is up to his neck, he said.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Greer∆