Hurricane Earl

I live in SE North Carolina and a TS watch is posted for my area although at this time Earl's center is expected to pass 200 miles off shore. Rain, TS force winds, 8 to 10 foot waves and major beach erosion is expected. There goes our newly renourished beaches. I live on a peninsula between the Atlantic and a canal. If Earl takes a westerly jog, I'll evacuate but at this time, I plan to stay as I've ridden out several storms in the past. (None stronger than a CAT 1 though.) I'll try and take some pics and post for you all once it is safe to go outside.

I am most worried about the folks in the NC outer banks and Va. You all stay safe and be ready just in case!

Hopefully we won't lose power during the storm and I can watch reruns of My Name is Earl! LOL Dark Knight, you are funny!

wm

Hateras Island is being evacuated today along with other Islands ...Earl is now a category III storm. NY area to be hit by Friday...high winds, heavy rains by 2PM Friday....

UPDATE 1-Hurricane Earl heads for US east, islands evacuated
Wed Sep 1, 2010 9:20am EDT

Category 3 Earl threatens North Carolina's Outer Banks

* Vacationers, some residents evacuate low-lying islands

* Direct full hit to US shoreline is not forecast so far (Updates with latest evacuation order, Earl position, changes dateline, previous MIAMI)

By Gene Cherry

HATTERAS ISLAND, N.C., Sept 1 (Reuters) - Visitors and some residents evacuated from low-lying vacation islands off the North Carolina coast on Wednesday as Hurricane Earl bore down on the U.S. eastern seaboard, churning up dangerous swells.

Earl, still a major Category 3 hurricane, weakened slightly overnight but was on a track that could approach the North Carolina coast by Friday morning, the U.S. National Hurricane Center said.

Packing top sustained winds of 125 mph (205 kph), Earl was churning over the open Atlantic. The hurricane was expected to sideswipe the densely populated coast from North Carolina to New England on a forecast northward offshore path during the upcoming U.S. Labor Day holiday weekend marking the end of the summer vacation season.

This was expected to bring driving rain, high winds and pounding surf, but forecasters so far have not predicted a direct hit on the U.S. East Coast.

more
http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSN0111802320100901

i pray for the east coast and i hope those fools that plan on "riding her out" as quoted on cnn, google ike and the lives lost and some never found after the storm hit bolivar, tx.

Prayers for all in the path of the Hurricane.

Keep safe and make sure to evacuate and follow orders.

I have friends and relatives in the area too.

Thanks for the updates, keep us posted.

Goz

oh yea....they've now issued a hurricane warning for the east coast.

i pray for the east coast and i hope those fools that plan on "riding her out" as quoted on cnn, google ike and the lives lost and some never found after the storm hit bolivar, tx.

It's definately nothing to play around with. I'll never understand why people choose to stay during evacuation orders when the alternative is much better. Let's face it, evacuating is veeeerrrrryyy inconvenient, (especially if you have pets who are not allowed in shelters) but definately not worth risking your life over.

This time is critical to follow updates because many times if a storm takes a 'jog' and heads your way, it is too late to evacuate. The stronger ones seem to 'have a mind of their own' and defy forecasts. Many coastal towns are located on barrier islands and the bridges are closed if wind speeds become too strong.

I have my plan in place if need be. I am worried about folks up north in Long Island and New England who may not take the threat seriously due to the fact of not being exposed to many tropical systems. Be ready! But you sleuths are smart and i know that. I just want everyone to stay safe.

wm

It's definately nothing to play around with. I'll never understand why people choose to stay during evacuation orders when the alternative is much better. Let's face it, evacuating is veeeerrrrryyy inconvenient, (especially if you have pets who are not allowed in shelters) but definately not worth risking your life over.

This time is critical to follow updates because many times if a storm takes a 'jog' and heads your way, it is too late to evacuate. The stronger ones seem to 'have a mind of their own' and defy forecasts. Many coastal towns are located on barrier islands and the bridges are closed if wind speeds become too strong.

I have my plan in place if need be. I am worried about folks up north in Long Island and New England who may not take the threat seriously due to the fact of not being exposed to many tropical systems. Be ready! But you sleuths are smart and i know that. I just want everyone to stay safe.

wm

I ALWAYS evacuate for a Cat 3 or higher. I wanted to comment on the bolded part. For Dennis, I had some friends who ended up evacuating way down in S. Florida, cuz they said they couldn't find a closer hotel that would take pets.

Peeps -- most hotels lift their pet restrictions during a storm. When we evacuated for Ivan, I brought my cat and my aunt brought her big dog to the hotel with no problems. I remember one morning going for breakfast in the lobby and there was 5-6 dogs walking around, even though there was a big no pets allowed sign on the lobby desk. :)

My DH and I are going on a Canada/New England cruise later this month. We have been following the ship's Bridge Cam throughout the last few voyages. Current passengers who post live on a cruise website haven't mentioned any changes in their itinerary, but with the storm headed their way by Saturday, they may have to divert or skip ports of call so they return to New York on time for the next cruise.

FYI-Both of the hurricane maps I posted earlier in the thread automatically update where they are, so you can simply go back to them and see the latest forecast path of Earl, simple as that. :)

Prayers for everyone and everything in Earl's path. No sympathy for those dumb enough to "ride it out."

Thanks Dark Knight.

That makes me feel better that some hotels will accept pets in an emergency. That would be the only thing that might keep me from evacuating...leaving my pets at home alone.

I live in Norfolk and this area tends to flood at the drop of the hat. So I am going to my future in-laws house tomorrow and stay the weekend, get to know them and such.

I've been watching the weather channel all day and hoping that it turns and the coast doesn't get hit real bad. The whole south Atlantic does not look good at the moment.

The ship that DH and I will be on in a few weeks has already headed back to NYC and will not make its port call at Halifax, Nova Scotia tomorrow. Friday is a scheduled day at sea, so the vessel will probably sail slower than usual while avoiding the effects of Earl to make it back to Brooklyn by Saturday morning.

Below is a newsite that I've followed in the past for hurricanes affecting North Carolina. It's pretty detailed and offers lots of info. Latest news is Earl is back up to Cat.4 and no indication of slowing down.

http://www.wcti12.com/index.html

Stay safe everyone!

Accuweather was saying this could be a top 10 year for hurricane activity. So far they are right.
They're right on the money. Trailing behind Earl is Fiona, then Gaston, and now invest 94 that has just spawned off the African coast. Oh, yeah, and it's only September 1st.

Something to keep in mind for those in Earl's path. Because of his massive size, his storm surge is going to pack a wallop wherever he makes first landfall and could cause widespread flooding. This afternoon, my favorite weather guru, Dr. Jeff Masters gave his storm surge potential an IKE rating of 5 on a scale of 0-6, and his destructive wind potential a 3.4.

He explains it in his blog at the link.
http://www.wunderground.com/blog/JeffMasters/comment.html?entrynum=1599

Continue prayers for everyone's safekeeping.

Below is a newsite that I've followed in the past for hurricanes affecting North Carolina. It's pretty detailed and offers lots of info. Latest news is Earl is back up to Cat.4 and no indication of slowing down.

http://www.wcti12.com/index.html

Stay safe everyone!
Thanks, SuziQ. I was just searching for a good site to follow local coverage.

FYI-Both of the hurricane maps I posted earlier in the thread automatically update where they are, so you can simply go back to them and see the latest forecast path of Earl, simple as that. :)

Prayers for everyone and everything in Earl's path. No sympathy for those dumb enough to "ride it out."

Thanks for that...Keeping an eye out in NJ!

They're right on the money. Trailing behind Earl is Fiona, then Gaston, and now invest 94 that has just spawned off the African coast. Oh, yeah, and it's only September 1st.

Something to keep in mind for those in Earl's path. Because of his massive size, his storm surge is going to pack a wallop wherever he makes first landfall and could cause widespread flooding. This afternoon, my favorite weather guru, Dr. Jeff Masters gave his storm surge potential an IKE rating of 5 on a scale of 0-6, and his destructive wind potential a 3.4.

He explains it in his blog at the link.
http://www.wunderground.com/blog/JeffMasters/comment.html?entrynum=1599

Continue prayers for everyone's safekeeping.

The massive size of these hurricanes plus the early frequency reminds me a lot of 2005, the record year for hurricanes (and the year of Katrina.)

Another reason hurricanes will be more active this year is because El Nino is over with, as that normally destroys hurricanes before they can form. Now we're going the opposite way with La Nina, so there is nothing to stop the hurricanes from forming. There is nothing to shear off the tops of the thunderstorms, and no African dust being blown into the atmosphere to dry them out.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back