Hurricane Earl

6 a.m. Update

Early reports indicate Hurricane Earl mostly passed up the Wilmington region in terms of rain and wind as it made its way up the East Coast.

The fastest wind speed recorded Thursday in the area was 33 mph, at 1 p.m., ahead of the storm, National Weather Service Science Officer Reid Hawkins said.

http://www.starnewsonline.com/article/20100902/ARTICLES/100909956/1146?Title=Hurricane-Earl-spares-region-strong-rip-currents-remain-a-danger

Ya! Much ado about nothing in SE NC. At least it gave me a reason to spend a few days with my DD!

Hope peeps in the OBX are all safe and sound this morning!

wm

Our area has been downgraded to tropical storm watch. Seems Suffolk county in Long Island will receive the brunt of Earls' wrath and then onto New England where hopefully he will loose some strength..JMHO

Small clip of Earl hitting Kill Devil Hills in NC..

Hurricane video: Earl blows through Outer Banks
Hurricane Earl churned up waves along the coast of North Carolina's Outer Banks late Thursday night. The storm sent heavy rain and strong winds through the area. Forecasters say it could push further out into the Atlantic before slamming into New England. (The Associated Press)
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/video/2010/09/03/VI2010090301488.html

http://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/IOTD/view.php?id=45597
At 2:00 p.m. Eastern Daylight Time (EDT) on September 2, 2010, the U.S. National Hurricane Center (NHC) reported that Hurricane Earl was roughly 245 miles (395 kilometers) south of Cape Hatteras, North Carolina, and about 720 miles (1,155 kilometers) south-southwest of Nantucket, Massachusetts. A Category 3 hurricane, Earl packed maximum sustained winds of 125 miles (205 kilometers) per hour. The NHC warned that Earl was expected to pass near North Carolina's Outer Banks overnight.
The Moderate Resolution Imaging Spectroradiometer (MODIS) on NASA’s Terra satellite captured this natural-color image of Hurricane Earl grazing the North Carolina coast at 11:29 a.m. EDT (15:29 UTC) on September 2. Earl shows visible characteristics of a powerful hurricane—large size, spiral arms, and a distinct eye. Clouds from Earl extend primarily over North Carolina and Virginia.
The NHC issued multiple hurricane watches and warnings, including a hurricane warning from Bogue Inlet, North Carolina, northeastward to the Virginia border; and from Westport, Massachusetts, around Cape Cod to Hull. The NHC also warned that a powerful storm surge could raise water levels by 3 to 5 feet (1 to 1.5 meters) in some places. (Please see the NHC’s advisory archive for more information.) The NHC forecast that Earl would turn toward the north-northeast and pick up speed on September 3. Even though the storm had begun to weaken, it was expected to remain a powerful hurricane as it passed the Outer Banks.
more at above link:

I am in Virginia Beach and we are still felling affects from Earl, but it seems to be a big tease! I would say there were 40 mph winds over the last 6 hours and some rain. I haven't walked out to the beach to see the erosion which is our major worry right now...the waves were MASSIVE. All is well here! :woohoo:

I'm not too far from you Juno and well, it's really nothing here. I'm about 30 miles from the oceanfront and all we've had is a little rain (seen more with just a thunderstorm) and every once in a while a small gust of wind. I'm not complaining.

I hope Earl continues to weaken and doesn't cause any problems for anyone other than an inconvenience.

Ya! Much ado about nothing in SE NC. At least it gave me a reason to spend a few days with my DD!

Hope peeps in the OBX are all safe and sound this morning!

wm

That is why people choose to stay instead of leaving. Everybody gets all excited and relocates and nothing happens then the next time they dont wanna go though the hassel.

I'm not too far from you Juno and well, it's really nothing here. I'm about 30 miles from the oceanfront and all we've had is a little rain (seen more with just a thunderstorm) and every once in a while a small gust of wind. I'm not complaining.

I hope Earl continues to weaken and doesn't cause any problems for anyone other than an inconvenience.

Well, hello neighbor! :wave:

That is why people choose to stay instead of leaving. Everybody gets all excited and relocates and nothing happens then the next time they dont wanna go though the hassel.

So true...but then the next next one comes through and it's a Hugo. :(
I say- let's take these hurricane forecasts as an excuse to spontaneously vacation in the mountains. :)

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mhenderson
Back