Hurricane Gustav

I gotcha, prayers to him and anyone in the same situation.

Thank you, Suzi. He was in the navy when Katrina hit. He helped in the aftermath (rescuing people and the deceased...while being shot at too). I'm really worried for everyone...don't want a repeat. I hope everyone leaves and stays safe. Prayers to all...

I-10 is backed up real bad too and this is Houston. Not even expecting a direct hit at the moment. Gosh

Storm of the Century. God Bless you. Get out of the way! Please! I wish I was closer to help!

http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/weather/08/30/gustav.prepare/index.html

New Orleans Mayor Ray Nagin ordered a mandatory evacuation of the city beginning 8 a.m. Sunday but urged residents to consider escaping "the mother of all storms" before then.

ETA: Nagin says he's never seen anything like this...

They called Katrina the storm of the century. And now they say this one is worse??? :eek:

We are in the panhandle of Florida and actually got some rain tonight! Gustav is huge!!! I have family members who drove over from Biloxi for the Labor Day weekend and they have already got text messages from the kid's schools say school is cancelled until further notice. If it looks like it will hit close to us we are all heading to Jacksonville and hopefully Hanna will not be a problem... crazy times... Luckily we have tons of food, drinking water, batteries and beer...haha

From the way they are talking about the highways, it sounds like it would be a good idea to throw some things in the car to occupy yourself while stuck in traffic. Don't forget to pack things like cell phone chargers and laptop chargers.

One thing we found out in Katrina was that often even with the electric out, internet worked! Strange but it was the last thing to go.

For people who are staying (NOT a good idea) but if you are staying, let someone in your family know where they can find an internet message from you, because phone lines will be out, and cell towers inoperable. But somehow people were sometimes finding internet access. If they don't have an email addy, they should know where to find you on the internet. That was a big problem in Katrina that people couldn't find a way to connect up afterwards.

Biloxi Beach but ran home to mommy & daddy in Mobile, AL until after Gustav. Just to let everyone know about I-10 traffic....a drive that usually takes me 45 minutes took me 5 1/2 hrs!!!

My parents are evacuating from S.La...Took them almost 2hrs to go 10 miles in New Orleans after midnight.

In North Louisiana here.
They have already cancelled schools in our 2 cities til after weds.
Story is that alot of the buses are supposed to going to help evacuate.
And they are getting prepared to open shelters here.
As of right now, there aren't any rooms available in this area that I have heard.

I expect here we will get alot of rain, and everything that comes with it.
To bad i haven't been able to get my roof fixed yet. Time to run to kmart or walmart and buy some large plastic garbage cans. Think I will definetely need them.

Biloxi Beach but ran home to mommy & daddy in Mobile, AL until after Gustav. Just to let everyone know about I-10 traffic....a drive that usually takes me 45 minutes took me 5 1/2 hrs!!!

You be safe petresq_algc, and when you head back home again please make sure all roads are open. We went thru Allen here August 10 1980 we got to a motel with no problem and from there as soon as it they said it was safe we headed back we got 20 miles from our door step and the nightmares began and that was 4 in the morning and it took us until noon. Please be careful everybody.

Although warnings have been issued for everyone to evacuate I know that there will be some who stay in thier homes - for reasons unknown (eg older people who will not leave thier home/property for anything, people with mobility problems, the poor who want to stay to protect what little possesions they have, the list of possiblities goes on and on). I suspect some who stayed during Katrina (and lived) think they can do same as they were ok last time ("It wont happen to me" attitude) - if anyone thinks that who is reading here please, please, please rethink your decision. As many who died last time probabily thought it wouldnt happen to them - it did! The fact that this storm is gonna be worst than last frightens the hell out of most but there unfortunatly (no matter what anyone says) will be those who stay.
Anyhow everyone - whatever your gonna do when storm hits - please stay safe.

was on the fox weather chat and someone said "looks like Gustav veered ever so slightly to the west, but N.O. still no out of danger" 6:09 am.

was on the fox weather chat and someone said "looks like Gustav veered ever so slightly to the west, but N.O. still no out of danger" 6:09 am.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pabo1998
Back