Hurricane Ian, Sept 2022

I really think it is becoming ridiculous the way they endanger themselves standing out in hurricane winds and floodwaters to report the weather.

I was watching Jim Cantore reporting live, thinking how dangerous it was, when the branch flew into him, and later when he was fell down.

I was watching Twitter at the same time, and couldn’t believe how many people were praising him. One of the most popular Tweets was, “Cantore just got hit by a TREE!! He’s the MAN” and it had a long string of comments agreeing, and dozens of “likes.”

So I am definitely in the minority.
Sadly, as you are starting out your career as a weather reporter, you get sent into the most dangerous situations. It's what you have to do to move up in organizations like TWC and CNN, even local channels.

I shutter to see some of the reporting from the approach and impact of Ian. Those reporters were definitely in harms way.

Thankfully, they all survived, at least this time...
JMO

With the amount of devastation you would think they would need all the help they could get?

Indiana National Guard 1st Lt. Edwin “Oliver” Wenck provided a statement on Friday afternoon: “After Hurricane Ian swept through the Florida peninsula, it was determined that Florida National Guard assets were sufficient, and Indiana National Guard assists were no longer required.”

With the amount of devastation you would think they would need all the help they could get?

Indiana National Guard 1st Lt. Edwin “Oliver” Wenck provided a statement on Friday afternoon: “After Hurricane Ian swept through the Florida peninsula, it was determined that Florida National Guard assets were sufficient, and Indiana National Guard assists were no longer required.”
you would think so!

I remember a Hurricane, I think it was Irma, a lot of veterans lost their homes, they lived in older mobile home parks, many of them had paid for their homes. They ended up homeless, and basically got nothing in insurance, because old mobile homes are "worthless" in the eyes of insurance companies. They couldn't get loans, many of them very low income, disabled, old, WW II veterans. Many ended up in veterans nursing homes, or with adult children, group home placement. At least veterans had advocates and social workers jumping in to help them out.

Meanwhile, people who had expensive homes on the beach, would get full loans for new construction, replaced boats...

That is probably what will happen again...

You can think you’re prepared to ride out the storm but are you ready to go weeks without a single grocery store being open because the trucks with supplies can’t get there?
Limited power on a generator that needs gasoline and none of the gas markets are open? They can’t get fuel if the trucks can’t deliver.
Trying to keep the kids or animals out of the flood waters that possibly have sewage, bacteria, fire ants, etc?
It’s not over just because the storm has passed.
JMO

“While most Floridians woke up to a normal Sunday with plans for church, family gatherings, and football watching, many people in the Southwest Florida coast, the areas most ravaged by Hurricane Ian, spent the day growing weary, frustrated, and angry as they waited for electricity, gas, water, food and other basic needs.

Some took to social media to vent and plead for help.

“We do not have any help in St. James City, there are so many people here that have completely lost everything like elsewhere,” Denise Martinez posted on a Pine Island Facebook group. “As of this morning, nobody has brought in supplies besides the people trying to get to the island themselves to check on loved ones or if they still have a home. All of the people on the island need food, water, gas, propane, they do not even have a roll of toilet paper. Something needs to be done today or more people will die. It is a complete war zone down here.”

Unfortunately that is what usually happens. Cutoff from deliveries of any type. People posting on social media begging for food, diapers, insulin. The Red Cross might not get to the small coastal towns for several weeks. Or not to your town at all. Communities are on their own for the most part. Especially if wide spread damage across multiple counties/jurisdictions.

FEMA’s top immediate priority likely will be search and rescue, many people in Florida in Ian’s path did not have time to evacuate or opted not to do so.

JMO

Last edited:
It is a difficult decision regarding evacuation. I remember the folks from Hurricane Katrina, many of them were disabled, older, some of them didn't have cars, or the gas money to evacuate.

I was assigned to work in an old National Guard training center set up to process folks who ended up in Nevada after Katrina. They had nothing. They didn't even know where they had ended up when the plane landed.

Everyone was given presumptive eligibility for all government benefits for 90 days, assigned FEMA case managers, lots of companies gave gift cards for people. It was pretty amazing how much help is available. I am sure that folks in Florida will be okay. Although, many of the people who were evacuated to Las Vegas, ended up staying there. No more hurricanes.

It is a difficult decision regarding evacuation. I remember the folks from Hurricane Katrina, many of them were disabled, older, some of them didn't have cars, or the gas money to evacuate.

I was assigned to work in an old National Guard training center set up to process folks who ended up in Nevada after Katrina. They had nothing. They didn't even know where they had ended up when the plane landed.

Everyone was given presumptive eligibility for all government benefits for 90 days, assigned FEMA case managers, lots of companies gave gift cards for people. It was pretty amazing how much help is available. I am sure that folks in Florida will be okay. Although, many of the people who were evacuated to Las Vegas, ended up staying there. No more hurricanes.
IMO, it is always a difficult situation when deciding when to evacuate for a hurricane. It was a much more difficult situation for SW Florida as they were only given less than 24 hours to follow a mandatory evacuation. As with Hurricane Charley, all of the "Weather Professionals" were sure this storm was headed towards Tampa.

Both storms then took a sudden unexpected turn towards Captiva, Sanibel and Fort Myers Beach. The damage there is catastrophic.

God love the National Guard, there are steadfastly there for all national emergencies. I have faith that FEMA will do the same.

Prayers up for all of those affected by Ian.

JMO

Thus far, the death toll is 74 people and Acosta noted that the numbers are expected to increase dramatically. CNN also asked the Lee County Sheriff at a briefing about the death count and they dismissed the accusations that the evacuations of Ft. Meyers and Lee County didn't happen soon enough.

See the video below:

The controversy of when the evacuation order was sent out is ridiculous to me. It is unnecessary drama at a time when the focus should be on the victims. I've lived most of my life in FL and been thru numerous hurricanes on both coasts. There are two types of people who don't evacuate.

There is and will always, be a certain percentage of people who will never evacuate. There are a number of reasons but typically, they're just in denial, stubborn, think someone is going to rob/loot their property, etc. You can see all kinds stories online now with these people calling themselves what they are: fools, stupid, denying it would be this bad, etc. Well, Mother Nature sent Hurricane Ian to give them a wake up call. It wouldn't matter if they had a weeks notice, they ain't leavin'. The last article I read stated there were still 20 people on Sanibel island that won't evacuate. This is the type of people that are still there.

The other group is those that can't evacuate. These are people who are not physically able to. They have no resources like money or family to assist. They are not mobile, healthy, own a vehicle, no place to go or are mentally unable to comprehend what is going to happen. These are the people that suffer the most, the ones that die, they drown and their body floats away unaccounted for. Sadly, there is no system in place to help them in advance. They generally become the majority of those who need to be rescued.

Years ago, long before the internet, the local officials would go door to door, forcing people to evacuate. If someone refused, the standard response was "please write your SSN on your arm so we can identify your body" and that scared people into evacuating.

It isn't the wind people, it's the water. Every. Single. Time.

JMO

The number of people killed in Florida by Hurricane Ian rose to at least 100 on Monday.

At least 54 people died in Lee County alone, Sheriff Carmine Marceno said Monday – up from the county’s previously announced death toll of 42 – and officials there are facing questions about whether evacuation orders should have been issued earlier. Twenty-four deaths were recorded in Charlotte County – up from 12.

Hurricane Ian also contributed to the deaths of 8 people in Collier County, 5 in Volusia County, 3 in Sarasota County, 2 in Manatee County, and 1 each in Polk, Lake, Hendry and Hillsborough counties, officials said. Four other people died in storm-related incidents as Ian churned into North Carolina.

Just checking in to let y'all know that my house fared well through the storm. Branches and debris all over the place but otherwise ok.
Glad to hear this. Lots of work. I only went through a tropical storm. But we had a lot of work with our chainsaw, as our neighbors didn't have one, so my kids were out there, helping them.

As a small child, our family survived Hurricane Carla, 1961 in Houston. It has been described as both a strong cat 4 or cat 5 storm. At the time we lived in LaPorte (SE of Houston) right near the Bay behind Galveston. Back then the hurricanes' paths were not as predictable as they are now. They evacuated our neighborhood to the local High School. My dad and our neighbor across the street both figured out our homes were on higher ground than the High School, so we were the only 2 families than stayed. We trusted our neighbor as he was an engineer for NASA!

Mid way through the hurricane our house started to flood badly. When the eye came over our house, there was a brief break. My parent's took that opportunity to wade across the street in chest deep water that had a significant current. We rode out the second half of the hurricane at the neighbors (they were on higher ground). My mom told me that was the only time in her life she though she might die. Our house took significant damage from both winds and the storm surge that came up through the Bay.

In retrospect, we should have evacuated to at least Dallas. But back then, hurricane paths and strengths were only a guess.

I will never take a hurricane watch or warning for granted. Especially in the Sanibel area. Ian took almost the exact same (unexpected) path towards Sanibel and Captiva as Hurricane Charley did. Until the last minute Meteorologists were sure this storm was aimed at Tampa.

JMO

Does anyone know which agency is keeping a list of persons reported as unaccounted for in the storm affected areas?
Or are any unofficial threads on social media?
Asking for a friend. Thanks.

Here you can report a missing person.
Now from there I don't have an idea of what would happen next. But it looks like this is the form

Last edited:

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Quincy_M.E.