Hurricane Ike and Topical Storm Hanna

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:
No danger forgetting here. I'd much rather have my kids somewhere safe than stay in a house with stuff that can be replaced. Or if not replaced I have memories. If it's that derned important I take it with me.

Not leaving because you can't afford it is an excuse. That's why they bussed people out and do shelters, so there will never be another Katrina. Heck, in my area if you had no way to the station they drove right up to your front door to get you!

We don't have an endless supply of money either. We used up our entire hurricane evacuation fund on this one trip. We lived on a credit card after that money was gone and dh will have to borrow against his 401k to pay it off so we can live off of it the next time. And if we couldn't afford it you'd bet your sweet bibby I'd stake a claim on a bed in a shelter in a heartbeat. Nothing is worth risking my children for, nothing.

The government does not owe me a check for living here when we CHOOSE to stay in the way of disasters, or better yet, by not preparing ourselves for disasters that we know are coming.

If you are told to leave and choose to ignore that request, then tough tookies. Don't stick hands out waiting on money to fall into them afterwards. There are NO excuses for it anymore and I for one am tired of hearing about how the government doesn't help us. What about helping ourselves?

To be perfectly clear, this is NOT directed to anyone I know personally, or anyone on this board. I've just been reading some local boards and have had my fill of it all.
Wow! you took the words right out of my mouth BhamMama! Living near the coast during hurricane season is a big risk, imo. I don't like it anymore, but until we can move this is where we will live. And while we live here we will continue to eat sleep and breath the weather channel, wunderground, and noaa:bang:

National Hurricane Center seems to be holding off from publicizing a more specific course.

I really think they do this so everyone up and down the Gulf Coast stays watchful, even to the point of hyper-watch. I read a very enlightening article this past summer about the local emergency preparedness planners and government authorities, along with the national weather people, and they basically admitted that a) they can't completely predict with any real degree of certainty the target until at least three days before--and often not with accuracy then--and that even then, they keep some of the information because they can't get everyone evacuated in a short window.

My family lives right outside of the Galveston area. Last week, my aunt and uncle evacuated here (MO); my children and siblings stayed. I am very worried and keeping a watchful eye on this one.

I agree with you and I know you werent speaking about what I said or maybe you were lol but a lot of people do feel they are owed from the govt. I personally do not. I just felt it was unfair that all the other parishes were reimbursed and ours was not. I hope the people heed the warnings and leave if Ike comes this way. This one is gonna be real bad it looks like.

Nah, not you. You know the ones I'm talking about. The ones that complained about having to go outside to use a port a pot in the rain, even though they were safe and had 3 hots and a cot, or weren't supplied with a big screen tv to watch and had to entertain themselves with talking or something. Or the ones that have complained until they are blue in the face that the power is taking too long to come back on, even though their houses are safe and they had no one hurt.

Totally self centered and have given no thought at all to the ones that have real problems, like no house to come home to. They see money signs and that's all that they care about. I actually had one guy tell me yesterday that he didn't care that other states had to foot the bill for his stay, that they owed him, he couldn't tell me why he thought they owed him. But when you mention the fact that maybe he shouldn't rely on someone else to save his sorry butt he got mad and called most of us horrible names.

I know how hard it is to leave. When your whole life is centered down to what can fit in the bed of a truck. It's hard. Would be hard if we lost everything. But compared to losing my child or a loved one it just doesn't measure. I don't understand those types of folks.

Oh I know, I would be greatful for any help at all. I cant see complaining about people helping you, but unfortunately they do. I saw that some were complaining about the shelter they were in being messy, well clean up after yourself, they are there to help not be a maid service.

Ike Forecast Eye Path ™
uhaI_2_640x480.gif

http://hurricane.accuweather.com/hur...ove&stormNum=8

Could a mod please change the thread title to Hurricane Ike?

Good gravy, I just gandered at the map today - my Gulf cousins, keep yourself safe. I'll be having a good thought for all of you.

Not looking good for Houston and Galveston right now............

Uh oh - heading to Corpus now.......... who knows where this thing will end up.

They are tracking it farther inland than they usually do. Does that mean they expect it to stay together longer than usual after it hits land?

They are forecasting 70 mph sustained winds with 90 mph gusts in Austin Sat. afternoon.

Uh oh - heading to Corpus now.......... who knows where this thing will end up.

Exactly. It's all over the place. Although technically, it won't come in at Houston, since Houston is not on the coast. That would be Galveston. Clear Lake (NASA) would be affected the most. If it did come in and move through quickly it might be less damaging than Tropical Storm Allison, which just sat, trained and trained, and flooded the heck out of the area.

REPEATING THE 1100 PM EDT POSITION...23.2 N...84.3 W.
MOVEMENT TOWARD...WEST-NORTHWEST NEAR 9 MPH.
MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS...80 MPH.
MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE...967 MB.

IKE IS LOOKING LIKE A MONSTER IN THE MAKING!!

Satellite Imagery (Patience Required)
http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/goes/flt/t4/loop-avn.html

AN INTERMEDIATE ADVISORY WILL BE ISSUED BY THE NATIONAL HURRICANE
CENTER AT 200 AM EDT FOLLOWED BY THE NEXT COMPLETE ADVISORY AT 500 AM EDT.

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/text/refresh/MIATCPAT4+shtml/080301.shtml?

Three Day Cone
http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/graphics_at4.shtml?3day?large#contents

Five Day Cone
http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/graphics_at4.shtml?5day?large#contents

Southeast Texas needs a whole lot of prayer right now. It worked with Gustav, let's hope it works with Ike.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back