Hurricane Irma - #3

Criminal probe opens into 8 deaths at Florida nursing home after Irma

Florida Power & Light said it had provided electricity to some parts of the Hollywood nursing home but that the facility was not on a county top-tier list for emergency power restoration.

Irma killed at least 29 people in Florida, plus seven more in Georgia and South Carolina combined.

Some 4.2 million homes and businesses were still without power on Wednesday in Florida and neighboring states, down from a peak outage tally of 7.4 million customers on Monday.

https://www.aol.com/article/news/20...-at-florida-nursing-home-after-irma/23207842/

Is the criminal investigation against the owners of the nursing home? It almost seemed like it they were blaming the power company, so I'm just trying to clarify. Why the hell wouldn't a nursing home have gotten generators? Horrible!!!

Update:

Day 7 without power. Yes, SEVEN. :(

Am at the library - been here for five hours now, finished my coursework at Udemy for digital advertising that was so rudely interrupted by Hurricane Irma, and did some web work.

I need to get going soon, stomach needs lunch

Update:

Day 7 without power. Yes, SEVEN. :(

Am at the library - been here for five hours now, finished my coursework at Udemy for digital advertising that was so rudely interrupted by Hurricane Irma, and did some web work.

I need to get going soon, stomach needs lunch
Oh My MaryG12 - Enduring SEVEN days without power in the FL heat (Hot Hot HOT!) is difficult.
We were without electricity for FOUR days. Our small neighborhood got electric at 8:30 PM Thursday evening 9/14. I was outside at dusk when the large white utility truck came down our street. A few minutes later, it was like magic to see all the lights pop on in the entire neighborhood. Of course, I quickly ran inside to turn the A/C on!!!!!!!

My mothers power remains out. I talked to her today. She acts fine. She has been wiht my sister the whole time.

She is going down near her house in a
hotel. I did not say anything to her but she is right on the ocean, I fear the smell is going to be hideous.

For those not here this time of year is
gruesome - I cant imagine the odors.

I would think the padding would need to be taken out??

What were others exp with smell after having residence in the FL heat and humidity for days??

I'm a little late in the game here, but I hope your mom has had her power restored.

But what do you mean by " the smell is going hideous"? and the odors. From what? I'm sorry, it's just a mystery to me, thank you Cariis.

IMPORTANT UPDATE:

DH and I went out to Publix for some breakfast (plastic box of croissants from the bakery, small container of blackberries, 2 small bottles of Fanta orange soda; it's the breakfast of champions) and came back to an apartment with the power back on. :D

We did see an FPL truck down the road from us as we left, so that was a good sign.

Of course - we did not do any major food shopping because we had no clue if the power would be back on or not when we got back. So DH and I talked about going out to eat tonight.

And the clincher is this: the power apparently was back on around the same time it went out last Sunday, within a half-hour span.

You. Cannot. Make. This. Up.

Hello A/C I love you, thank you FPL, and thank you, Tom Edison!

:loveyou:

http://www.naplesnews.com/story/wea...ns-create-plethora-stinky-problems/667532001/

Hurricane Irma: Post-hurricane conditions create plethora of stinky problems. Here are five things that stink.

Yep.

And a hideous smell invaded our open bedroom window the night after the hurricane - which would be last Sunday, as a matter of fact. Figured it was from all those downed branches which were soaking wet - FL humidity only exacerbates the problem.

Disease - as that in the news about Irma - mosquitoes, dengue, local tropical diseases in the same region - bacteria loves hot, moist climates.

I cleaned out our fridge yesterday with white vinegar and baking soda to remove any excess bad smell from the few items in there when the power went out.

That stinky air alone cannot be good for one's health chances are it is not good for my health.

IMPORTANT UPDATE:

DH and I went out to Publix for some breakfast (plastic box of croissants from the bakery, small container of blackberries, 2 small bottles of Fanta orange soda; it's the breakfast of champions) and came back to an apartment with the power back on. :D

We did see an FPL truck down the road from us as we left, so that was a good sign.

Of course - we did not do any major food shopping because we had no clue if the power would be back on or not when we got back. So DH and I talked about going out to eat tonight.

And the clincher is this: the power apparently was back on around the same time it went out last Sunday, within a half-hour span.

Wonderful news!! Glad its back!!

Sent from my VK815 using Tapatalk

IMPORTANT UPDATE:

Just a heads up be careful going out to eat at a restaurant please!

Years ago we had a hurricane come through and power was out over 24 hours. I went to a sports bar and got chicken wings afterwards when the power came back on.

I ended up with salmonella and in the hospital. CDC investigation showed that many restaurants did not throw out all their food, and there were large outbreaks of food poisoning at restaurants after the hurricane.

I'm on my phone right now so I can't look it up but it was in the mmwr ( morbidity and mortality weekly report).

Just a heads up be careful going out to eat at a restaurant please!

Years ago we had a hurricane come through and power was out over 24 hours. I went to a sports bar and got chicken wings afterwards when the power came back on.

I ended up with salmonella and in the hospital. CDC investigation showed that many restaurants did not throw out all their food, and there were large outbreaks of food poisoning at restaurants after the hurricane.

I'm on my phone right now so I can't look it up but it was in the mmwr ( morbidity and mortality weekly report).

Gee thanks for that visual :p Hope you recovered OK!

Maybe we'll just eat at home. Still have plenty of canned soups.

For The First Time In 300 Years, There's Not A Single Living Person On This Caribbean Island

http://www.firstcoastnews.com/syndi...ing-person-on-this-caribbean-island/475202253
I just cannot wrap my mind around this and the damage. That I am seeing this in my life time. That it's not something from history books that happened before.

As deeply troubled as the evacuation was out of Florida, I realized my troubles would end at some point. I mean I can make my own home again somewhere in my country. The true refugees from war zones cannot. It was just a brief insight to their world. Someone always has it worse somewhere helps stoping me into going down my rabbit hole to far.

Now this beast Maria is going to the islands. Sad times

IMPORTANT UPDATE:

So glad for you! We have Duke and are still out. Now we're being told ''maybe' Tuesday by midnight.

So glad for you! We have Duke and are still out. Now we're being told ''maybe' Tuesday by midnight.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/weather/hurricane/os-hurricane-irma-update-power-20170916-story.html

Hurricane Irma: Electricity might not be restored until Tuesday in Orange, Lake counties

"For many Central Floridians, the frustration intensified Saturday as Duke Energy extended outage times for customers on the Orange-Lake county border to the end of Tuesday.

Sunday was the original estimate for electricity to be restored.
About 20,000 Orange customers and 5,000 in Lake were still without power, according to power outage data provided by FloridaDisaster.org on Saturday evening."

Hello all. I was pleasantly surprised to get an private message from Spellbound inquiring about our status. You guys are too much; you all care about everyone and Spellbound, you are amazing, to compile the list and contact all you have not heard from. Thank you, you are a great person and I am sure Websleuths is very thankful to have you as a member.

I am so sorry I was negligent and didn't post an update. We were relatively unscathed, minus no power for seven days, which is so mild compared to what some have endured; whole islands just wiped and what are those people going to do? They are so unbelievably poor, what a total tragedy has happened in the area. I can't talk about it without crying, as I am sure so many of you do. It is heartbreaking.

My best friends in the world, born and raised in Marathon Key lost the entire bottom of their house, all that is left is four steel studs; furniture, appliances, beds, everything gone right down to the drywall. They don't know if it is salvageable. They have no insurance because it was costing them around $40,000 per year, and as they had no mortgage they were not forced to keep it. They were directly on the Ocean and the Ocean invited itself in. They also had about ten cottages on the property and they are all gone except two. At the worst of the storm, the ocean was breaking on their property and over in to the Gulf, across the street. I read this morning that 10,000 boats were lost or sunk; of which theirs was also. Most of these boats were used by families to make money, either fishing, sight seeing, etc. So not only are their houses gone, but their way of making a living is gone also. To me, it is catastrophic. I saw Homestead after Andrew, and my friends say this is so much worse; they are still doing search and recovery down their. It so breaks my heart. However, I know that things can be replaced and they are all alive and are putting their faith in God to help direct them. My husband and I hope to go down next week to see how we can help in any way. It scares me with all that water everywhere, but I can put my big girl panties on and do what it takes.

Just what is happening to our world, so many mass killings, horrific storms, devastating fires, maybe so many people forgot about God, that he is going to give us a show of what it can be like when he doesn't step in. This is my opinion only, and hope it is allowed. If not, mods, please delete this paragraph.

Anyway, may God bless all of you and all of your families and loved ones, and all of your fur babies. My little fur baby didn't know what to think, other than she knew it was very hot in our house. She faired well, though, thank God. Please everyone take care, we certainly never know what lurks around the next corner.

Thank you all at Websleuths for giving so much of yourselves, and caring for your fellow man. Sort of O/T but my husband and I had the police do a welfare check on very good local friends of ours; we got cut off on the phone as the storm started and didn't hear back for six days. We went to their house, and it was totally flooded around their house, and no sign of them although all cars were their. I kept calling and it appeared that the machine was taking messages, although it was not. Thankfully, the police went (and it about scared them to death - my friends, not the police) , and they were fine; no power, generator broke, no land line and no cell service, and no Internet. The very kind police allowed them to charge their phones and both the police and she called me immediately after the visit (and they went within ten minutes of my call). I was very impressed. However, on a side note, when I got out of our car, their was a huge snake swimming right next to me in all that water and he popped his head out to look at me, and I let out a scream they probably could have heard ten miles away, jumped back and landed right in a nest of fire ants trying to get out of the water. I have probably twelve swollen bites on my foot which are still swollen and pus filled. Not fun!!

Again, God bless all of you for being the caring and involved people that you are. I know my beloved Florida will recover and will be better than ever. Katsrfun

My best friends in the world, born and raised in Marathon Key lost the entire bottom of their house, all that is left is four steel studs; furniture, appliances, beds, everything gone right down to the drywall. They don't know if it is salvageable. They have no insurance because it was costing them around $40,000 per year, and as they had no mortgage they were not forced to keep it. They were directly on the Ocean and the Ocean invited itself in. They also had about ten cottages on the property and they are all gone except two. At the worst of the storm, the ocean was breaking on their property and over in to the Gulf, across the street. I read this morning that 10,000 boats were lost or sunk; of which theirs was also. Most of these boats were used by families to make money, either fishing, sight seeing, etc. So not only are their houses gone, but their way of making a living is gone also. To me, it is catastrophic. I saw Homestead after Andrew, and my friends say this is so much worse; they are still doing search and recovery down their. It so breaks my heart. However, I know that things can be replaced and they are all alive and are putting their faith in God to help direct them. My husband and I hope to go down next week to see how we can help in any way. It scares me with all that water everywhere, but I can put my big girl panties on and do what it takes. Katsrfun

I am so sorry for your friend. I've been following the devastation in the Keys and can't even come to report what the people who live and work there year-round are going through.

My thoughts and prayers are with them and everyone affected.

According to this report:

9 People have died in Monroe County (Florida Keys).

First responders are still going door-to-door and performing welfare checks on people who have not been heard from since Hurricane Irma.

By Saturday, about 98 percent of homes had been checked — an estimated 15,000 homes.

A number of the people who died remain unidentified and, in coming days detectives will work to find out who they are.

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/weather/hurricane/article173811341.html

[FONT=.SF UI Display][FONT=.SFUIDisplay-Bold]Latest update ... [/FONT][FONT=.SFUIDisplay-Bold]I have heard from a couple more members. Still hoping KindredSpirits and Tabirey can check in soon. Fraudqueen is probably OK, though would be nice to hear from her, too[/FONT][FONT=.SFUIDisplay-Bold]. Amazing that we got such a good following on the list --- but what else can we expect here on WS? Hope the clean-up continues to go well for all of you!

KinderedSpirits = Miramar (close to Miami) [
[/FONT][FONT=.SFUIDisplay]last post 9/7, 11:30 pm. Was getting very worried][/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT=.SF UI Display][FONT=.SFUIDisplay-Bold]
fraudqueen= 3 streets from Ocean, north-central Florida [last post 9/7, 2 am:
[/FONT][FONT=.SFUIDisplay]three streets from the ocean in north central Florida; going to daughter in Mississippi, 9 hour drive; worried about husband age 75][/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT=.SF UI Display][FONT=.SFUIDisplay-Bold]
Tabirey= Myrtle Beach, South Carolina. [last post 9/10, 11:30 pm:
[/FONT][FONT=.SFUIDisplay]wind bursts from the outer band here in Myrtle Beach. By midnight it's supposed to start escalating. I'm a block from the beach][/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT=.SF UI Display][FONT=.SFUIDisplay][/FONT]---[/FONT]
[FONT=.SF UI Display][FONT=.SFUIDisplay-Bold]MaryG12 - [/FONT][FONT=.SFUIDisplay-Bold]Sarasota. [[/FONT][FONT=.SFUIDisplay]9/17 = power back!![/FONT][FONT=.SFUIDisplay-Bold]] [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=.SF UI Display][FONT=.SFUIDisplay-Bold][/FONT]
[/FONT]

[FONT=.SF UI Display][FONT=.SFUIDisplay-Bold]southernmimi = South Georgia, [/FONT][FONT=.SFUIDisplay]40 miles from the Fla. line....close to Tallahassee [ storm came right over where I live, but no damage to the property except debris. never even lost power.] [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=.SF UI Display][FONT=.SFUIDisplay][/FONT]
[/FONT]

[FONT=.SF UI Display][FONT=.SFUIDisplay-Bold]katsrfun = Vero Beach, FL [[/FONT][FONT=.SFUIDisplay]got power back Friday, 9/15. [/FONT][FONT=.SFUIDisplay-Bold] [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=.SF UI Display][FONT=.SFUIDisplay]No damage, a few very small, already dead tree limbs down in the yard, other than that nothing. Water from rain was almost up to the front door, but gone by morning. The worst we had was no power for seven days. It was so VERY hot, inside and outside.[/FONT][/FONT]

I hope you get your power back before then - DH and I took a walk down the street (we have nice wide sidewalks), the downed tree branches and debris have been removed from the backyards although the one rather thin palm tree by the swimming pool, yanked out of the ground by Irma, is still on the ground. And we saw another FPL truck further down the street so they are working in the area - bless them for working so hard around the clock.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OldDustyBooks
Back