Hurricane Irma

Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel for Cuba. They cant leave even if they wanted to....

Remain nuts in prep--- she is moving solely W now at 14

back to my neurosis

C'mon my dear friend. You know cognitive therapy. I hope it helps. How is rascal? Glad u checked in. Yet I get it. I would be off the charts with anxiety. Vent!!!
ETA- from the storm not the dog

"With disastrous Hurricane Irma tearing through the Caribbean and headed for South Florida this weekend, zoos and conservation centers have taken precaution in anticipation.

The Palm Beach Zoo & Conservation Society in West Palm Beach, Florida, has already begun moving smaller animals into facilities that served as hurricane shelters on Wednesday, according to Communications Director Naki Carter.

'Our goal is to have all the animals safe and sound and moved to their appropriate locations by [Friday] night, with a final walk-through of the zoo on Saturday,' she said to NBC News.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...oos-prepare-Hurricane-Irma.html#ixzz4s7BTUTRK

View attachment 122855

View attachment 122856

I'm really glad the animals who cannot be moved will have very dedicated people with them, they are likely going to be distressed by the hurricane.

Thanks for posting this, on that note I found this:

Flamingos In The Men's Room: How Zoos And Aquariums Handle Hurricanes

gettyimages-1149973_slide-70446cbcd6d6fd12d1db9807d453c948eef6e20a-s1600-c85.jpg

More than 50 Caribbean flamingos take shelter in a men's restroom at the Miami Metrozoo (now Zoo Miami) on Sept. 25, 1998. Zookeepers rounded up the birds to protect them from the effects of Hurricane Georges. This was not the first time the zoo had to corral flamingos in a restroom. They were also in there during Hurricane Andrew, six years earlier.

"That's probably the No. 1 question I get asked: 'Oh my God, when are you going to evacuate animals?' We are never going to evacuate animals," Magill says.

He says the stress of evacuating alone can be enough to kill an animal. Instead, the birds and small mammals of Zoo Miami will ride out the storm in independent kennels or buildings. The larger residents, particularly the carnivores and great apes, will bunker down in their usual indoor holding areas.

http://www.npr.org/2017/09/07/54898...room-how-zoos-and-aquariums-handle-hurricanes

Here is a story about the Zoo after Hurricane Andrew: https://www.washingtonpost.com/arch...ced-abbf-1b7baca953b9/?utm_term=.2859cf9c9f58

HA!!!! Those Flamingo's!!! All about me. Looking in the mirror. Too cute. We need moments of levity.

CARIIS I know u are stressed with rascal on board. If one or the other has not shown/claimed Alpha status I think u are good.

So my friend in California says "why don't all you Floridians **get out** of Florida--you all have plenty of time (said to me 3 days ago)?"

Here's why: this Irma was tricky; changing location of expected landfall, changing coastlines, now its showing up the middle & next it's everything in between. Very unusual. Additionally, no gas....lots of shortages.
Lots of traffic at a halt on the major roads. Standstills. There's no Star Trek "transporters" yet so most of us with kids, elderly, pets, valuables must get in our cars and drive. Or hunker down & pray for the best.

I checked every airline out of the airport next to me to all destinations out of Florida yesterday and they are all "Sold Out". "Sold Out" going to every other city in the US possible! That's right......and I know that's hard to comprehend.

Think about it---Florida is a giant **peninsula**. It only has other states bordering on the very top. That makes driving out very difficult & very lengthy.

So for instance, yesterday morning what would normally take me a 3 hour drive, took me 6 hours **and** I took circuitous back roads with very little traffic. But I made it to where I had to go and had booked my room 5 days ago. Apple Car Play (google maps with traffic settings) was a good friend to me for my drive!

My Florida friend is being asked to evacuate from one of our safe-haven spots in Sarasota. We were both there for Hurricane Matthew. It's a very nice & sturdy hotel but there's huge flood concerns there. She's got to leave now & heading to her in laws which is a bit inland.

I hope this helps to understand how things have been going in Florida with Irma for those in regions of our country that dont have these fearsome types of hurricanes.

Please pray for us.

Thanks for posting this, on that note I found this:

Flamingos In The Men's Room: How Zoos And Aquariums Handle Hurricanes

gettyimages-1149973_slide-70446cbcd6d6fd12d1db9807d453c948eef6e20a-s1600-c85.jpg

More than 50 Caribbean flamingos take shelter in a men's restroom at the Miami Metrozoo (now Zoo Miami) on Sept. 25, 1998. Zookeepers rounded up the birds to protect them from the effects of Hurricane Georges. This was not the first time the zoo had to corral flamingos in a restroom. They were also in there during Hurricane Andrew, six years earlier.

"That's probably the No. 1 question I get asked: 'Oh my God, when are you going to evacuate animals?' We are never going to evacuate animals," Magill says.

He says the stress of evacuating alone can be enough to kill an animal. Instead, the birds and small mammals of Zoo Miami will ride out the storm in independent kennels or buildings. The larger residents, particularly the carnivores and great apes, will bunker down in their usual indoor holding areas.

http://www.npr.org/2017/09/07/54898...room-how-zoos-and-aquariums-handle-hurricanes

Here is a story about the Zoo after Hurricane Andrew: https://www.washingtonpost.com/arch...ced-abbf-1b7baca953b9/?utm_term=.2859cf9c9f58

Wow! Now I've seen it all!

Remain nuts in prep--- she is moving solely W now at 14

back to my neurosis

I think you're going to be fine my friend.......I'm with you on this (wink wink).

It's a small world after all. ;););)

On Barbuda, tragedy has colored the hurried, now mandatory evacuation from the tiny island, where category four hurricane Jose is approaching. The AP reports:

Stevet Jeremiah lost her 2-year-old son, her house and all her belongings when Hurricane Irma slammed into the tiny island of Barbuda. Now she is leaving the island for good.

Jeremiah said her mother and other son had been sent to Antigua and she and her husband were going to follow. She said she has “nothing, not even an ID to say my name.”

When it was still a category five storm, the hurricane ripped the roof off her house and filled it with water. Jeremiah said there was “so much water beating past us, we had to crawl to get to safety.” Her son was swept away in floodwaters.

In Antigua, she planned to look for her surviving son and her mother, and start making arrangements for the two-year-old’s funeral.

She said she has experienced hurricanes before, but “never anything like this in my life ... and I don’t ever, ever, ever want to see something like this again.”

Officials in Antigua have launched a national campaign to open their homes to hurricane victims from Barbuda.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2017/sep/07/hurricane-irma-live-latest-updates-caribbean

:tyou: for checking in Miss Honey. Glad you are safe. My thoughts and prayers are with you and all Floridians who are facing Hurricane Irma. It's unseasonably chilly in metro Detroit, and we're debating whether or not we should turn on the furnace, but we have no right to complain when thoughts turn to those in the path of this enormous storm. Be safe.

Thank you for your kind words and for thinking of me and our fellow Floridians, BetteDavisEye

I don't see a positive outcome for either one. I will be very upset if rescuers have to risk their lives in the height of the storm to save them. jmo and may not be popular.

Nobody is going to rescue them at the height of the storm. Any rescue will be after the storm.

So my friend in California says "why don't all you Floridians **get out** of Florida--you all have plenty of time (said to me 3 days ago)?"

Here's why: this Irma was tricky; changing location of expected landfall, changing coastlines, now its showing up the middle & next it's everything in between. Very unusual. Additionally, no gas....lots of shortages.
Lots of traffic at a halt on the major roads. Standstills. There's no Star Trek "transporters" yet so most of us with kids, elderly, pets, valuables must get in our cars and drive. Or hunker down & pray for the best.

I checked every airline out of the airport next to me to all destinations out of Florida yesterday and they are all "Sold Out". "Sold Out" going to every other city in the US possible! That's right......and I know that's hard to comprehend.

Think about it---Florida is a giant **peninsula**. It only has other states bordering on the very top. That makes driving out very difficult & very lengthy.

So for instance, yesterday morning what would normally take me a 3 hour drive, took me 6 hours **and** I took circuitous back roads with very little traffic. But I made it to where I had to go and had booked my room 5 days ago. Apple Car Play (google maps with traffic settings) was a good friend to me for my drive!

My Florida friend is being asked to evacuate from one of our safe-haven spots in Sarasota. We were both there for Hurricane Matthew. It's a very nice & sturdy hotel but there's huge flood concerns there. She's got to leave now & heading to her in laws which is a bit inland.

I hope this helps to understand how things have been going in Florida with Irma for those in regions of our country that dont have these fearsome types of hurricanes.

Please pray for us.

You have my (and I am sure all of our) prayers, hopes, and concern, Honey. Please be alert and as careful as you can. And check in whenever you can, if only for a quick update on how it is there.

HA!!!! Those Flamingo's!!! All about me. Looking in the mirror. Too cute. We need moments of levity.

:giggle: thanks ... we needed that!
CARIIS I know u are stressed with rascal on board. If one or the other has not shown/claimed Alpha status I think u are good.

I totally agree. has Rascal trapped your heart yet, CARIIS?

They are way north, and not coastal. However, I'm sure that they have a lot of employees who need to take care of things and who may live coastal.

Praying for all. My niece is staying in Palm Beach area. I hope she will be safe. She's lived in Florida all her life, so hopefully she knows what she's doing.....

Hint from another forum: if you have a garbage disposal, be sure to run it well while you still have power. I hear the stench can be unbearable if you do not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robbi708