Hurricane Irma

Status
Not open for further replies.
That picture is priceless, they are all looking in the mirror at themselves.

Thanks for posting this, on that note I found this:

Flamingos In The Men's Room: How Zoos And Aquariums Handle Hurricanes

gettyimages-1149973_slide-70446cbcd6d6fd12d1db9807d453c948eef6e20a-s1600-c85.jpg

More than 50 Caribbean flamingos take shelter in a men's restroom at the Miami Metrozoo (now Zoo Miami) on Sept. 25, 1998. Zookeepers rounded up the birds to protect them from the effects of Hurricane Georges. This was not the first time the zoo had to corral flamingos in a restroom. They were also in there during Hurricane Andrew, six years earlier.

"That's probably the No. 1 question I get asked: 'Oh my God, when are you going to evacuate animals?' We are never going to evacuate animals," Magill says.

He says the stress of evacuating alone can be enough to kill an animal. Instead, the birds and small mammals of Zoo Miami will ride out the storm in independent kennels or buildings. The larger residents, particularly the carnivores and great apes, will bunker down in their usual indoor holding areas.

http://www.npr.org/2017/09/07/54898...room-how-zoos-and-aquariums-handle-hurricanes

Here is a story about the Zoo after Hurricane Andrew: https://www.washingtonpost.com/arch...ced-abbf-1b7baca953b9/?utm_term=.2859cf9c9f58

Per CNN there are people out on Miami Beach!!!! What the he77???

People do the same thing here in Galveston Texas..and, a lot of times they are out there with their 3 ,4 yr old children..

oh, and the surfers..

I call them look loo's...

because here on Galveston island, well, I'm within spitting distance of it..we know what mother does.

we dont look and gawk..at the ocean..we button down the hatches..or go further inland to Houston.

Im #TexasStrong..took partial damage during Harvey but all is well

I"m 52 young, seen my fair share of hurricanes...

praying for Florida...

eta..I spent 4th of July in Miami..love the vibe, Cuban food, music..just the whole scene there...

bless them...

Thank You for your kind words.

I'm sorry to hear too that your triggers you mentioned seem to indicate a very traumatic experience in your childhood too. ( Don't mean to be intrusive. )

Wanting only to say that the fact that you care about others says a lot about you. Thank you again, Bravo

Hint from another forum: if you have a garbage disposal, be sure to run in well while you still have power. I hear the stench can be unbearable is you do not.

I also put a try of ice cubes and turn on, helps to clean the blades.

[video=twitter;906249035320844288]https://twitter.com/capitalweather/status/906249035320844288[/video]
[FONT=&quot]4:10p: Latest model simulations converging on [/FONT]#Irma[FONT=&quot] track up Florida spine, but shifts still possible. More info: [/FONT]http://wapo.st/2jc95Zu

RBBM

Boy, I do too. As another cat lover, I hope the walls do stand.

When we had 7 cats, we were under a tornado warning one night (even in Southern California, we DO get those occasionally!), and had assembled all 7 cat carriers. I can't imagine getting 50+ cats into carriers. Praying she, and her feline friends, make it through all of this.

we had our 3 indoor cats in carrier in the garage and the 3 yard cats in another carrier, chickens in a carrier and parakeets all in the garage when Harvey hit. We were dodging tornado's all night long...my husband has a computer in his man cave garage and played you tube videos of chicken documentary, so the chickens could watch lol then he played video docs on cats and birds lol bless him lol

So my friend in California says "why don't all you Floridians **get out** of Florida--you all have plenty of time (said to me 3 days ago)?"

Here's why: this Irma was tricky; changing location of expected landfall, changing coastlines, now its showing up the middle & next it's everything in between. Very unusual. Additionally, no gas....lots of shortages.
Lots of traffic at a halt on the major roads. Standstills. There's no Star Trek "transporters" yet so most of us with kids, elderly, pets, valuables must get in our cars and drive. Or hunker down & pray for the best.

I checked every airline out of the airport next to me to all destinations out of Florida yesterday and they are all "Sold Out". "Sold Out" going to every other city in the US possible! That's right......and I know that's hard to comprehend.

Think about it---Florida is a giant **peninsula**. It only has other states bordering on the very top. That makes driving out very difficult & very lengthy.

So for instance, yesterday morning what would normally take me a 3 hour drive, took me 6 hours **and** I took circuitous back roads with very little traffic. But I made it to where I had to go and had booked my room 5 days ago. Apple Car Play (google maps with traffic settings) was a good friend to me for my drive!

My Florida friend is being asked to evacuate from one of our safe-haven spots in Sarasota. We were both there for Hurricane Matthew. It's a very nice & sturdy hotel but there's huge flood concerns there. She's got to leave now & heading to her in laws which is a bit inland.

I hope this helps to understand how things have been going in Florida with Irma for those in regions of our country that dont have these fearsome types of hurricanes.

Please pray for us.

Thank you ATOH, for checking in, and updating us. It does help us non-Floridians to have a better understanding of what you are up against.

It must be horrible to feel as if the escape doors are locked. We ARE praying for you!

Please, please stay safe!!

Nin/ No it's not, Bonita Springs FL, 1 1/2 miles from the beach..yeah :rocker:
I'm in Ocala. We've been out of gas on and off as we're right on 1-75. I just recently moved back from Boca Raton.

Crazy thing is that I lived in Houston during Rita right after Katrina. It took over 8 hours to go 1.5 miles out of a flood zone. It was over 100 degrees so pets were dying of heat exhaustion in their cars and being discarded on the side of the road. We avoided a hit or even the dirty side of the storm that time but it was so traumatic that I moved to Atlanta and away from hurricanes. Over 100 people died evacuating from Rita. It was brutal.

I've lived in Florida on and off since 1994. I went to high school and college here and have been back for 5 years. Ocala is central to the state so we are fairly protected. Our biggest issue is electricity going out.

The interstate has been steady for days now. I would feel bad if I evacuated because my spot is safe enough. Gas and resources that I'd use are better used on someone more in need.

I did read this morning that they released food stamp money early so people won't have to wait to the beginning of the month for their cards to recharge.

Good luck everyone!

NiN- We have people from Naples staying in our apartment complex. Stay safe!!!

[video=twitter;906238862976004096]https://twitter.com/blkahn/status/906238862976004096[/video]

[FONT=&amp]This is what Miami could look like by Sunday morning if the Friday morning [/FONT]#Irma[FONT=&amp] surge forecast verifies
[/FONT]
http://sealevel.climatecentral.org/hurricane-irma-south-florida-storm-surge-potential
(scroll down to see the same video)

This is horrifying. So many homes underwater means most people staying will have no means of escape. Hopefully it will not be this bad, as I doubt all of Miami has been able to evacuate. Praying the storms weakens at the last minute or turns away. :praying:

I'm sorry to hear too that your triggers you mentioned seem to indicate a very traumatic experience in your childhood too. (Don't mean to be intrusive. )

Wanting only to say that the fact that you care about others says a lot about you. Thank you again, Bravo

Oh no not intrusive at all. We are a caring community here.

Screen name with location list:

CARIIS = Orlando, Florida

Henry2326 = Charleston, South Carolina

Jax49 = Jacksonville, Florida--40 miles inland

oceanblueeyes = south Georgia (Lee County)

Turanna = Jupiter/West Palm Beach

Shin Masamura = Lakeland

Momrids6 = south east Georgia coast

Tripplogan = Jacksonville

Cat99 = Jacksonville

southernmimi = south Georgia

No it's not (NIN) = Bonita Springs FL, 1 1/2 miles from the beach

MaryG12 - Sarasota

katsrfun = Vero Beach, Florida

KinderedSpirits = Miramar (close to Miami)

Lonetraveler = Wilmington, North Carolina

SeesSeas = West Central FL, Pinellas County, half mile from Tampa Bay

Greater Than = Miami

ATasteofHoney = barrier island (Florida)

AC's Grandma = near Tampa (out of state for now)

fraudqueen = north-central Florida, 3 blocks from Atlantic

Tabirey = Myrtle Beach, South Carolina

bluedivergirl = near Ocala

Skully = north of Tampa

MoxieVi = Ocala

They're asking everybody in the metro Atlanta area (per just now on WSB radio) to stay off the interstates to let the evacuees come through and get to their destinations.

My prayers are with all of you in harm's way. I have friends in Lakeland, Vero Beach, Palm City and Fort Myers as well as my Websleuth family. I used to live in Orlando and Kissimmee as well as a short time in Cocoa Beach. I have been in Maine for almost thirty years, though, but I still hold Florida dear to my heart.

Disney is notorious for protecting their property, but keeping their resorts open until it is too late for their employees to evacuate.

They are also telling people who are in the campground and treetop villas that they need to be out by 2pm Saturday. So that's even more people on the roads 24 hours before the storm hits. The airports are closing where are these people going to go??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Screen name with location list:

CARIIS = Orlando, Florida

Henry2326 = Charleston, South Carolina

Jax49 = Jacksonville, Florida--40 miles inland

oceanblueeyes = south Georgia (Lee County)

Turanna = Jupiter/West Palm Beach

Shin Masamura = Lakeland

Momrids6 = south east Georgia coast

Tripplogan = Jacksonville

Cat99 = Jacksonville

southernmimi = south Georgia

No it's not (NIN) = Bonita Springs FL, 1 1/2 miles from the beach

MaryG12 - Sarasota

katsrfun = Vero Beach, Florida

KinderedSpirits = Miramar (close to Miami)

Lonetraveler = Wilmington, North Carolina

SeesSeas = West Central FL, Pinellas County, half mile from Tampa Bay

Greater Than = Miami

ATasteofHoney = barrier island (Florida)

AC's Grandma = near Tampa (out of state for now)

fraudqueen = north-central Florida, 3 blocks from Atlantic

Tabirey = Myrtle Beach, South Carolina

bluedivergirl = near Ocala

Skully = north of Tampa

MoxieVi = Ocala

My prayers for your safety.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online