Hurricane Katrina Disaster Updates

Jules said:
We heard from our in-laws. They are fine and in Monroe, LA. They will be heading here for a few days and then to Dallas for a few days before returning home. No word on how their home is. They are very close to the water, about a mile or so from the lake and a bayou that runs along side their home, so I'm assuming they have some water damage. At least they are safe and dry.

We were just notified that they're opening an evacuation center in one of our Districts, in Bryan, TX. Guess there's quite a large number of evacuees that came to Central Texas.

I found some information at another message board that is very upsetting. This person whose husband is a claims adjuster and is in the area told her that Homeland security is keeping the media from filming or reporting how bad it really is. (there are literally bodies floating in the street in New Orleans) They are trying to control the panic and pandemonium that would occur if broadcast to the nation. Oh my God those poor people.

Here is the link :http://www.wwltv.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2414&postdays=0&postorder=desc&start=0

Shadow205 said:
I found some information at another message board that is very upsetting. This person whose husband is a claims adjuster and is in the area told her that Homeland security is keeping the media from filming or reporting how bad it really is. (there are literally bodies floating in the street in New Orleans) They are trying to control the panic and pandemonium that would occur if broadcast to the nation. Oh my God those poor people.

Here is the link :http://www.wwltv.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2414&postdays=0&postorder=desc&start=0

I could understand a little discretion being emphasized when it comes to showing film of bodies drifting...I don't think they should censor the story per se, but showing bodies floating down the "rivers" can really upset children, etc. I hope the media uses their senses appropriately in such a serious matter. :hand:

Just on FOX, Mayor orders emergency evacuation of New Orleans.

Shadow205 said:

Where was Homeland "Security" a couple of days ago when thousands of citizens of New Orleans needed assistance evacuating? I saw nothing about help being sent for those unable to get out themselves. The government could have sent big trucks into NO to transport elderly, infirm, families of low-income, etc. Now they're saying not to show the public the devastation of a natural disaster? Maybe some of the thrill-seekers who stayed behind intentionally to ride out the "Big One" would have made another choice if hurricanes and other such disasters weren't treated and censored (family-safe) entertainment.

Sorry about the rant, but there are a lot of unnecessary deaths here.

I just heard news from my ex-husband who is a civil engineer and worked with the Corps of Engineers in New Orleans. According to him and contacts he has with FEMA the levees are severely compromised in the Lake Ponchartrain area. The breaks are causing a ripple effect and more water is continuing to flow out.

Although my stepson and his wife are safe and heading back to Atlanta to stay here for awhile, her sister and mother and father are on the 4th floor of a hospital in Kenner. The hospital is without patients and they are in the administrative section. They have a generator and limited phone use but are running out of food. Rescue workers are helping the people on roofs first so they won't be on an immediate list for rescue. Water is up to the second floor of the hospital. I think many people are trapped all over and we just know about them yet. Prayers for the people.

Jules said:
We heard from our in-laws. They are fine and in Monroe, LA. They will be heading here for a few days and then to Dallas for a few days before returning home. No word on how their home is. They are very close to the water, about a mile or so from the lake and a bayou that runs along side their home, so I'm assuming they have some water damage. At least they are safe and dry.

Glad they're okay. I live approximately 1 hour from Monroe. I know that in times past and now Monroe has set up to help in emergencies such as this. Our little town doesn't have huge buildings like a civic center but we are offering free RV parking to those who managed to evacuate with their RVs.

map of New Orleans and surrounding area

Rescuers are being told not to worry about the dead bodies at this time, there are too many people waiting (hoping) to be saved. It just doesn't seem real.

Mabel said:
Rescuers are being told not to worry about the dead bodies at this time, there are too many people waiting (hoping) to be saved. It just doesn't seem real.

Echoes of Camille. I think they made a statement like that during cleanup after she hit, too...

Looting beginning in New Orleans. A WinnDixie near the French Quarter had its shelves literally emptied. Cameras were rolling, thiefs are on tape. If they should live to be prosecuted, that is. Because water continues to rise. No power in the entire city. Mayor wants all flat boats brought to a certain area for use in rescue attempts.

And, finally, the Red Cross has opened the CajunDome in Lafayette as an emergency shelter. A couple of days late.

We have many evacuees in our area who cannot return home, indeed probably don't have anything to return to, and they can't afford to pay for hotel rooms forever.

The mood amongst the evacuees across the street from me is getting more somber by the moment.

shadow, I wouldn't be surprised if cameras were prohibited from filming the extent of the damage, I wonder if the same rules apply in MS and AL?

cypros, This is not to say everything possible was done, because obviously everything was not done: but busses were sent into lower income areas to pick up those who would leave. Some chose to stay, some probably could not get to the "designated pickup" areas. I would imagine some people do not even have access to tv/media reports and perhaps did not know where to go to be given a ride out.

concernedperson said:
I just heard news from my ex-husband who is a civil engineer and worked with the Corps of Engineers in New Orleans. According to him and contacts he has with FEMA the levees are severely compromised in the Lake Ponchartrain area. The breaks are causing a ripple effect and more water is continuing to flow out.

SNIP

New Orleans may have been a bit premature in their happiness that Katrina spared them a direct strike. With so much rain upriver, and the levees compromised in the Lake Ponchartrain area, the situation could rapidly degrade. This could get very, very, serious again, in a hurry.

I just heard on FOX that Canal St. is now flooded and waves are lapping in the street on Bourbon St. This morning there were people walking around and some businesses were reopening. I think that everyone thought that the worst was behind them. I don't think that is the case at all. The levey's are spilling water, what is the possibility of them breaking unleashing a rush of water? That is a very scary thought.

Some of those people that couldn't/didn't want to evacuate are among the poorest of the poor. I can't imagine being in that situation.

I wish there was more I could do, but no one other than Bill Gates has the kind of money that would make a difference to all of these people who have lost their homes, their everything. But I can give some money to the Red Cross and pray for them. Also, I have the biggest garbage bag filled to where it's almost ripping full of clothes that I had planned to give to my SIL. They are clothes that I just no longer wanted or that don't fit, no rags. Also, my husband has some clothes that no longer fit and I can give those too. My SIL will understand that there are those that NEED those clothes. Also, I think I will go buy packs of underwear and socks to put in with them.

The problems that will arise from this flooding boggle my mind. The disease, snakes, bugs, etc that someone mentioned...it's like a third world country now. And the looting, don't get me started. New Orleans is one of my favorite long weekend places to visit, and I think tourism is vital, so it will be a long recovery.

:(

Shadow205 said:
I just heard on FOX that Canal St. is now flooded and waves are lapping in the street on Bourbon St. This morning there were people walking around and some businesses were reopening. I think that everyone thought that the worst was behind them. I don't think that is the case at all. The levey's are spilling water, what is the possibility of them breaking unleashing a rush of water? That is a very scary thought.
It doesn't sound good at all. With this happening, and being aware of how many people needed rescuing before this even began, it paints a very dire picture. As cp posted, this could become an escalating situation very quickly.

shopper said:
Some of those people that couldn't/didn't want to evacuate are among the poorest of the poor. I can't imagine being in that situation.

I wish there was more I could do, but no one other than Bill Gates has the kind of money that would make a difference to all of these people who have lost their homes, their everything. But I can give some money to the Red Cross and pray for them. Also, I have the biggest garbage bag filled to where it's almost ripping full of clothes that I had planned to give to my SIL. They are clothes that I just no longer wanted or that don't fit, no rags. Also, my husband has some clothes that no longer fit and I can give those too. My SIL will understand that there are those that NEED those clothes. Also, I think I will go buy packs of underwear and socks to put in with them.

The problems that will arise from this flooding boggle my mind. The disease, snakes, bugs, etc that someone mentioned...it's like a third world country now. And the looting, don't get me started. New Orleans is one of my favorite long weekend places to visit, and I think tourism is vital, so it will be a long recovery.

:(
One of the stations was reporting that, with the refineries in the immediate area, and the above ground cemeteries, if New Orleans floods completely, it could become permanently uninhabitable, due to all of the contamination. That sounds bleak.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Autumn.Doe
Back