Hurricane Katrina to possibly become a Cat 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have heard from my sister-in-law. She lives in Mandeville (St. Tammany Parrish) which sustained major damage. She went to her in-laws in Hammond, but they are heading our way (Houston) as they will be without power for quite some time. They were wanting to try to get to their house to check damage, but it doesn't appear they will be able to get through.

No word yet on the in-laws. Last time someone spoke to them was yesterday morning. They were fine at that point. They left La Place (west of New Orleans about 20 miles) and headed up to Jackson, Mississippi. At 4:15 yesterday, the eye of the storm was over Jackson. So, we have no idea how they faired.

Keep the prayers coming. I'm sure many will need them.

Think of Tulane Hospital. It is being flooded; they have moved the emergency patients up to second floor. Evidently a levee has broken and the Tulane area is flooding fast.

I am reading on CNN that 55 died in Mississippi - why didn't they evacuate Biloxi?

Marthatex said:
Think of Tulane Hospital. It is being flooded; they have moved the emergency patients up to second floor. Evidently a levee has broken and the Tulane area is flooding fast.

I am reading on CNN that 55 died in Mississippi - why didn't they evacuate Biloxi?

Drudge report says the death toll is up to 80 in Mississippi. Sad.

Marthatex said:

Pardon my geographic ignorance; where is Tulane hospital in relation to everything else?

Marthatex said:

They did. they told them to get out. When most of them tried to leave they got stuck in traffic and went back home.
You can be sure you will be stuck in 15 to 20 hrs traffic just attempting to leave a town. People give up and don't want to be stuck in their cars and turn back. No state will report on this because honestly they should be sued.
You want to leave and they will not open another lane until the storm is on you. People attempt to weather it out and hope for help.
Evacuating is a bad joke.

On FOX news now they are saying that the water is rising in the business district of New Orleans and they don't know why. They are telling everyone to get out if you can get out. They have declared Marshal Law.

Shadow205 said:
On FOX news now they are saying that the water is rising in the business district of New Orleans and they don't know why. They are telling everyone to get out if you can get out. They have declared Marshal Law.

OMG that's horrifying.......shudder....

Thanks for the Tulane map, by the way,

nanandjim said:
Has Ntegrity posted lately? She lives in the FWB area. I'm wondering how much damage there was in that area.

I live close to her, and we did pretty good. I have not driven around very many places though.

nanandjim said:
Has Ntegrity posted lately? She lives in the FWB area. I'm wondering how much damage there was in that area.
Hi, I'm here :) No major damage to this area although the winds were much higher than I expected -- considering we're 200 miles from Nawlins. I've heard there was more damage to our poor beaches and most of the sand brought in after Ivan & Dennis is gone again!! Highway 98 between Ft. Walton Beach and Destin was breached but I haven't heard if it's usable. I think not since there was lots of traffic coming through Niceville this morning. I feel so bad for the people to the west of us. It's a gosh awful situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member