Hurricane Michael - October 2018

Discussion in 'Weather' started by JerseyGirl, Oct 8, 2018.

1. MelmothTheLost

MelmothTheLost Well-Known Member

I think I saw a report she was killed by a tree which fell onto the house where she was staying.

2. DakotaMayi

DakotaMayi Former Member

@oceanblueeyes - I am sorry to fill up your notifications but, we are all anxiously awaiting your return.

Anyone else we are waiting on?

3. CARIIS

CARIIS Spelling Bee Winner - Kindergarden!

In efforts to remain sane ,at times ,these days== put myself on a new TO - DATO = Destruction Avoidance TO

DATO was implemented after Florance as well,

There are several other TO modalities that pop up with increasing necessity these days as the nation goes bonkers for the world to watch.

therefore - sorry if posted

4. imstilla.grandma

imstilla.grandma Believer of Miracles

The Burbank-based Walt Disney Co. announced today it is donating $1 million toward relief efforts in the Florida Gulf Coast region in response to Hurricane Michael.

The company also plans to match donations made by Disney employees to eligible relief and recovery organizations providing assistance to the hurricane-ravaged area.

"The families and communities impacted by this devastating hurricane need our help as they begin to rebuild," Disney CEO Robert Iger said.

"Through today's $1 million contribution, and other relief efforts in the weeks and months ahead, we will stand with our Gulf Coast neighbors as they recover from this tragic storm."
    Disney donates $1 million to Hurricane Michael relief effort

5. imstilla.grandma

Auburn resident Michael Freeman said he always looks for a way to help after such a disaster. On Sunday morning, Freeman is planning to fill his truck and a trailer with as much bottled water as it will hold and will drive to Panama City, Fla.

“I’ve spent a lot of time in Panama City, pretty much the entire Emerald Coast area,” he told the Opelika-Auburn News. “Once a month, usually, I’m down somewhere on the Gulf Coast.”

Freeman said he could send money, and will probably do that as well, but wanted to do something more and believes the biggest need will be water.

“I know that clean water is going to be an issue down there because the power is out and the water treatment plants won’t be functional for a while,” he said. “A lot of the areas over in Panama City itself, not just the beach, but downtown is where most of the damage is.”

Freeman said he has a connection through Macedonia Missionary Baptist Church in Panama City. The pastor is going to receive and help distribute the water to those in need.

Freeman said his wife, who is a nurse, will also join him on the trip, and the two will help in whatever ways they can.

“I’ll see how this goes, and it’s possible that I will make another run down there if the need continues,” he said. “I expect it’s going to be a while before they get power up down there.”
    Lee County citizens send relief to areas affected by Michael

As the storm churned through the part of southwest Georgia where the grandparents lived, Mr. Radney, 37, called to check in at least once an hour, and sometimes every 15 minutes. Things were fine at first.

But on Wednesday afternoon he got a call from his brother. The reception was bad and Mr. Radney could not quite make out what his brother was saying. But he could tell he was crying.

“When I finally got through and spoke to my mom, my mom said Sarah had been hit in the head,” Mr. Radney said.

The wind, he was told, had lifted up a portable carport that had been behind the house and thrust it toward the home. One of its legs burst through and struck both Sarah and Mr. Radney’s mother. His mother’s lung was punctured, her rib broken. Sarah’s head injury left her gasping for air for 45 minutes to an hour.

“Last night was just hell,” Mr. Radney said. “I’m an hour and a quarter away, and my daughter’s dying, and I can’t do anything about it. I can’t think of anything that is more related to hell than that.”

Then, finally, Mr. Radney and his wife got through again, and his father told Mr. Radney’s wife that Sarah had died.

“And that’s about the end of the story,” Mr. Radney said.

Read more about Mr. Radney’s memories of Sarah here.
    upload_2018-10-12_5-16-28.jpeg
    Hurricane Michael Live Updates: ‘So Many Families Have Lost Everything’

6. BUF

BUF Well-Known Member

Oh those mushrooms...the wet humid environment here in Florida makes it a problem in yards. My dog loves them ever since she was a puppy. You have to make sure you get them before her and they pop up in minutes (they make her sick). We have always said that we think some are "magic" mushrooms and she likes the high...bizarre.

7. BUF

BUF Well-Known Member

I saw that too...so very sad. The lack of communication in these areas makes it even worse. Can you imagine being a survivor trying to reach out and can't, or one of their loved ones trying to find information on them? Glad the news media is there and helping with this.

The reporter was on later last night giving that information again. A convoy of trucks was passing him as he was on air...glad they were able to get through as parts of the road to Mexico Beach are gone.

8. Jax49

Jax49 Florida Native

9. oceanblueeyes

oceanblueeyes Well-Known Member

First I want to thank everyone here for their concern.

Even though I was unable to post until now my ..heart and thoughts continued to be with everyone affected by this monster hurricane.

Our area is devastated. It looks like a war zone.

Even though it was the most terrifying time of our lives we know what truly matters most of all ..is our lives were spared.

My heart breaks for those who have lost their lives. I pray for their families who are mourning.

Our daughter and grandaughter have both lost their homes in Florida. The homes are no longer there. Just gone like they never existed. But we all came through this hellish nightmare without injuries. They all worked in this area so like all in the area they have no jobs. However I have no doubt with loving support of family and friends they will eventually overcome all of this too.

I hope all of our WS friends are okay even if their properties suffered damage.

We have no power and dont know when it will be restored. The local officials say it may take up to a month or more.

Today my hubby will begin to clear huge downed fallen pecans and oaks and begin to repair the damage to our home.

In our neighborhood we have multiple downed trees and transformers were exploding as Michael roared over us. Trees are in the roofs in some homes on our street.

Yet in the end we survived it all ..even though battered with so much wide spread damage throughout our two counties. That is a miracle itself.

We are resilient people who had already gone through major damage in 2 prior storms in 2017 losing more than 35k oaks then. Now thousands more are down.

Our landscape has no doubtly drastically changed but we still stand strong together like always and will overcome this too.

Still continuing to pray for everyone affected by Michael.

Hugs and my love goes out to everyone.
    Ocean

Last edited: Oct 12, 2018
  10. DakotaMayi

DakotaMayi Former Member

Oh Ocean, I am just in tears while reading your post. I am so sorry for your loss and your family's loss but I am so grateful to hear that you are all safe and accounted for.

This is utterly heartbreaking to hear but also such a relief to see your post and know that you are safe. I will be thinking of you all.

Please do let us know if there is anything we can do to help you, your community, your family to restore their homes, even if it is just a prayer, or a donation or anything.

My heart is with you and this space is yours to speak while we listen.

Love to you, Ocean.

11. BUF

BUF Well-Known Member

OBE, I like all on this thread is/will be so relieved to hear from you!

So sorry you and yours had to go through this frightful storm and loss of so much, but am truly grateful you all survived. So much more to say, but will keep it until later. Stay strong lady...we will all be thinking of you.

12. oceanblueeyes

You have always been such a sweet soul Ana. Thank you and everyone for caring. It means more to me than mere words can ever express.

All I ask is please keep everyone who is going through this difficult time in your thoughts and prayers.

13. oceanblueeyes

Thank you BUF. I am so exhausted and my emotions are high so every kind word brings tears to my eyes.

We are just all so exhausted from all the dread and worry since we have had so many of our loved ones affected.

We were constantly texting throughout but when all of our cell service went down completely around midnight that night I have never felt such anxiety being cutoff from them all.

But in the end I am a strong woman. That strength will carry me through no doubt like it always has.

Helicopters are still going over our area. They have been doing that since it happened.

14. oceanblueeyes

All of the traffic lights in our two counties are not working. Most if them were shredded.

That has been a nightmare for first responders. All day long yesterday and this morning have been filled with sirens from cop cars ..firetruck and ambulances flying down our street.

In Albany they had over 2400 intersections that were blocked by down trees or down telephones lines and Lee county is no better.

It is taking the power crews much longer since there are still huge trees across roads and on powerlines. We di have power crews from across the state and from other states here helping so that is a plus.

We have generators but many do not. We have run a power cord to our neighbors so they dont lose all of their food and are able to run fans to cool their home down.

God gave us a break. It's a beautiful sunny day today with temps in the low 70s. Wind is still slightly up so those out cutting up trees have to be carefulti since others will most likely fall.

When it was happening there was so much heavy pressure in the air it hurt our ears and the temps were in the high to mid 80s.
    At times we thought our house was going to explode. For hours it raged and roared and we could hear things striking our home. It was only when daylight came that we saw what had happened.

15. rosemadderlake

rosemadderlake Well-Known Member

Ocean, so glad you, your family, and neighbors are ok. It is the only important thing in times like these.

I read that GA hasn't seen a major cat hurricane since the late 1800's. And it came in so strong.

And I'm so sorry for the loss of your daughter's and granddaughter's homes. It's very difficult to comprehend this total wipe out of whole towns.

Even the trees, like old friends themselves, one mourns the change in landscape.

The northern fringe of the storm blew through here in Del., MD, & NJ last night. We can only be grateful that it missed us here in the mid Atlantic. It's gone, out to sea.

The WS Storm and Fire threads connect so many peeps from all over the country. And it is more helpful with survival tips, preparation, a life line to check in, than I ever imagined.

Take very special good care. Wishing you and yours well, and a safe journey, with calm weather, as you gather your lives back together.

Katharine, BUF, GarAndTeed and 10 others like this.
  16. Inthedetails

Inthedetails Well-Known Member

Just read @oceanblueeyes updates from this morning.

Glad you checked in - I was among the others in the WS community who was wondering about you and your family. I'm sorry to hear the destruction of your family member's homes and jobs, but thankful that everyone is safe.

You all remain in my thoughts. Yes, you will get through this, as you said.

Katharine, BUF, dixiegirl1035 and 8 others like this.
  17. Jax49

Jax49 Florida Native

Death toll continues to rise.

Hurricane Michael Live Updates: Death Toll Rises to at Least 13

Lato, Katharine, Alice253 and 6 others like this.
  18. Lilibet

Lilibet Well-Known Member

Sending huge warm squishy hugs @oceanblueeyes. I can’t tell you how relieved I am (we all are) to hear from you. Thank you for describing (re-living) what you went through, as it’s beyond what I can imagine. Please continue to let us know how you and your family are doing as the awful job of cleanup and rebuilding lives begins. We all care!

Katharine, Alice253, BUF and 7 others like this.
  19. crhedBngr

crhedBngr Attempting to Keep Calm and Carry On.

Ocean: You and your Family will remain in my thoughts and prayers, as will the rest of those affected by Hurricane Michael.

Massive cyber {{{{{HUG}}}}} to All.

Alice253, Katharine, BUF and 7 others like this.
  20. imstilla.grandma

Dr. Jay Radtke, the medical examiner for some of the areas of most concern, including Panama City and Mexico Beach, said he could not release any information on the number of dead in the six Panhandle counties under his jurisdiction. “We are swamped,” he said. “It’s a disaster zone down here.”

• The authorities in Virginia said seven people in the state had died from the storm, including several who had drowned and a firefighter who was responding to an emergency call.

• Four deaths occurred in Gadsden County, west of Tallahassee, according to Lt. Anglie Hightower, a spokeswoman for the sheriff’s office. The victims included a man who died when a tree crashed down on his home in Greensboro.

• An 11-year-old girl, Sarah Radney, was killed on Wednesday when a carport was torn away and was sent hurtling into a modular home in Seminole County, Ga.

• At least 1.5 million customers were without electricity in states stretching from Florida to Virginia.

• It has been a tough few weeks for the Carolinas. After thrashing the Florida Panhandle, Michael slogged through states still reeling from the effects of Hurricane Florence last month.

• Much of the coast of the Florida Panhandle, including Mexico Beach and Panama City, was left in ruins. The area is dotted with small, rural communities, some of them among the poorest in the state. Read more about how the storm was hard on people without the means to evacuate.

Hurricane Michael Live Updates: 13 Deaths in a Vast Trail of Destruction