Hurricane Michael - October 2018

Discussion in 'Weather' started by JerseyGirl, Oct 8, 2018.

1. KALI

KALI Well-Known Member

This definately does not look like a reiable news source to me.
    Plus, how can you be angry about lack of immediate help when you were strongly warned to leave or seek shelter?

2. Jax49

Jax49 Florida Native

Article from the 12th.

https://nypost.com/2018/10/12/homeless-man-accused-of-molesting-girl-at-hurricane-michael-shelter/

Homeless man accused of molesting girl at Hurricane Michael shelter

Last edited: Oct 13, 2018
  3. Jax49

Jax49 Florida Native

‘We Need Answers’: Hurricane Michael Leaves Florida Residents Desperate for Aid

4. BUF

BUF Well-Known Member

Lato, not OBE, but I can tell you what we use. We had a Generac for years, got us through many a storm. We replaced it last year before Irma with another Generac 5500. We can run our fridge, freezer, a couple of lights, fan, tv, and a small 5,000btu room ac without any problem. The small ac gives you one room to escape the heat and for sleeping. If you get a bigger generator it will use more gas and that becomes a problem when gas lines are long and scarce. Hope that helps.

rosemadderlake, KALI, Lato and 2 others like this.
  5. BUF

BUF Well-Known Member

We got them too Mary, must be the whole state.

6. Gardener1850

Gardener1850 Timeline Guru (Still Remembering Cupcake)

FL National Guard launches website for life safety reports due to ongoing communication issues

7. Gardener1850

Gov. Scott, Florida National Guard deliver supplies to Franklin County

8. Gardener1850

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    With Sniffer Dogs and Hope, Rescue Teams Comb Shambles Left by Hurricane Michael

Hraefn, rosemadderlake, Lato and 4 others like this.
  9. Jinkasaurus

Jinkasaurus Well-Known Member

10. MelmothTheLost

MelmothTheLost Well-Known Member

Spoof site, surely?

11. Jax49

Jax49 Florida Native

Hurricane Michael's devastation still being assessed -- live updates

Hraefn, rosemadderlake, Lato and 3 others like this.
  12. sorrell skye

sorrell skye Former Member

I'm heartbroken for the residents of Mexico Beach. Cariis posted some photos of the beautiful seaside town before the hurricane destroyed it. What a lovely place it once was - a refuge from the clamour of the world.

Now it's gone.

This was a town that was one of the few places in this country that was free of corporate chain stores. The businesses were all family owned and operated.

A paradise has been lost.

13. sorrell skye

sorrell skye Former Member

As we grieve for the coast of the Florida panhandle, let us also remember the beautiful people of Puerto Rico, who are still suffering.

14. Jax49

Jax49 Florida Native

Hopes fade for more survivors of Hurricane Michael | Reuters

15. oceanblueeyes

oceanblueeyes Well-Known Member

Good morning.

My hubby recommends you purchase a 5500 to 6500 watt capacity generator. He likes the Champion line or those made by Honda.

If you get gas it will run continuously for 10 to 12 hours on 6 gallons of gas or less.

Once it runs for that long you can shut it off for a few hours and food inside freezers or inside your refrigerator will remain cold. Then in a few hours..maybe four or five hours...you can power it on again if needed.

My hubby said each item you want to have power has a certain wattage for it to run. Usually you can find it listed in the inside of your refrigerator or on light/lamp etc. Example... a 100 watt lightbulb takes that amount of wattage to work. Lol He said with a 5500 watt capacity generator you should have more wattage available than you are likely to need in total for the things you have listed.

Everyone should always remember that almost all generators are outside units. At times like this I have read sad stories where the people brought them inside due to them not knowing the deadly consequences.

I hope all of this makes sense and helps answer your questions. Everyone should really buy a generator in case they lose power for any reason.

Well it looks like it may be tomorrow before we have power. That is another memorable date I will be able to remember since tomorrow is one of our daughter's birthday. LOL!

Ocean

Last edited: Oct 14, 2018
  16. bluedivergirl

bluedivergirl Well-Known Member

DH and I were in a Best Buy near Ocala when it went out. Phones were blaring throughout the store.

It seemed to be an announcement of where to get food and water.

rosemadderlake, MaryG12, Lato and 3 others like this.
  17. bluedivergirl

bluedivergirl Well-Known Member

This reminds me so much of the stories I've read about Galveston in 1900.

18. oceanblueeyes

I feel the full pain and frustration of those who remained and are in the most affected area in the panhandle of Florida and its heartbreakung.

Understandably emotions are running high. But so many roads in are impassable. It takes a large amount of time .. work..and equipment before carvans of semis can even be able to get to the areas in need.

All of the areas leading into these areas have major debris fields including downed trees..roads filled with all sorts of splintered homes and businesses and electrical lines that may be be live and ruptured gas lines.

All of that must be cleared which is a tremendous undertaking that may take a week or more to access the parts of Florida who are in great need.

Due to that being the situation it's better for smaller vehicles to come in trying to find road access..even small backwood roads where large caravans of semis cant access but where smaller carvans of small vehicles possibly can.

Our granddaughter finally was able to go where her home once stood.

It took her and her husband hours once arriving in Port st. Joe to even find a way there. They had to constantly back up and turn around because almost all roads there are impassable and They went in day before yesterday.

Its just a nightmare due too so much huge debris throughout in every area affected.

The damage is so widespread and she said it really cant be fully comprehended until she was in ground zero. She said it looks like a war zone that were hit by bombs.

She said making her way out was just as difficult because trees are continuing to topple over.

My heart goes out to all of them. I hope some can make their way there like our grandaughter did and take the survivors out of the area in their smaller vehicles now. At least until everything has been cleared and no longer a danger for the first responder teams from all over the country who are trying to get into the area to help those in desperate need.

Even here we have constantly had to find roads that are passable in order to help our family and friends and we weren't hit nearly as hard as MB and PC or PSJ.

God bless them all and give them strength during this unbelievable devastating time for them all.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2018
  19. oceanblueeyes

OMG praise the good Lord above.

I was sitting here reading your posts when all of a sudden I heard the sound of our security system start beeping and then I could feel the air from the overhead air conditioner vents pushing cold air into our home. Yippee!!

Now I have to see if our daughter has power since she doesnt live far from us. We were the only two families that didn't have power yet.

20. BUF

BUF Well-Known Member

WhoooHooo...let's applaud all of those wonderful electric workers that have congregated from all over to help with the power outages!

Happy for you OBE!