Hurricane Michael - October 2018

Discussion in 'Weather' started by JerseyGirl, Oct 8, 2018.

1. Gardener1850

Gardener1850 Timeline Guru (Still Remembering Cupcake)

The devastation of this hurricane is so bad I struggle to find words for it. Everyone I'm seeing interviewed that stayed behind and just barely survived seem to be in such great shock that I worry for their health and safety. I think they need to be made to leave the area to go where there will be food and water and safe places to sleep. In most hurricanes there are pockets of homes that are untouched and still livable (just without electricity) among the completely destroyed ones but this damage looks like there are no buildings that are safely inhabitable. The scope of Michael's damage seems unfathomable right now. :(:(:(:(

2. MimosaMornings

MimosaMornings Well- Known Member

Words escape me. When told to evacuate- the Marshall told our street if we chose to stay then we needed to be prepared for WEEKS not days of no help. No way to get in or out even if our house was not affected, all roads were becoming inaccessible and would be that way for a long time.
    And SS on right arm in permanent black marker.
    I left!

3. MelmothTheLost

MelmothTheLost Well-Known Member

For the coastal communities which have presumably been hit the hardest, why is aid not being brought in by sea?

4. Gardener1850

The Daily Beast tends to sensationalize things IMO:
    No Food, No FEMA: Hurricane Michael’s Survivors Are Furious

BBM. I think the above is somewhat true but it's been twisted to make the headline sound like no one is doing anything to help when that is not true. I believe it that the police came and told the survivors that they need to leave the area. And I believe people are in shock or in denial enough that they will stay and then complain of no help coming by. They don't understand the roads are blocked and there may not be any safe buildings to set up a distribution of food and water nearby. They don't understand how long it will be before power can be restored. I wish the police had done more than just tell them to leave but I guess they cannot legally drag people away from their wrecked homes. I feel for them but at the same time I hope they are able to realize they need to heed the police warning and take care of themselves/get out of there. The people in the pick up truck delivering water would probably be more than happy to give stranded survivors a ride out of the area. JMO.

5. Gardener1850

Probably logistically it's not the fastest way or safest way. They would need a stable place to dock and unload supplies in bulk and a large secure building, then the supplies still need to be driven to the areas where they are distributed -- From photos I have seen all the docks in the hardest hit areas seem to have been destroyed, swept inland by the storm surge and piled on top of the wreckage of the houses with boats piled up too. The National Guard was shown filling cargo planes full of supplies to do an air drop. Air drops or helicopter drops are probably faster and safer for those delivering the help to the areas that can't be reached by road yet. JMO.

[​IMG]
    Florida National Guard, Gov. Scott deliver supplies to Eastpoint

Another reason not to use water delivery is because the supplies are probably coming on semi trucks from other US states and cities inland. It's an extra step to drive past the area where they are needed in order to transfer them to boats and off boats again to cars. One of the staging areas where they are directing out of state supplies is in Tallahassee:
    [​IMG]
    Florida National Guard teams staging in Tallahassee

Here's a map of where that is in relation to Mexico Beach: Google Maps
    Imagine the supplies are already being driven from other cities on the main highways 75 and 10.

Here is a video that shows the National Guard taking water from semi trucks and loading up smaller pick-up trucks and cars: FL National Guard distributes food, water
    The smaller vehicles can take back roads to get closer to the worst areas. JMO.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2018
  6. Gardener1850

Read more: National Guard takes us into Mexico Beach in Michael’s aftermath

7. MaryG12

MaryG12 Well-Known Member

8. MelmothTheLost

MelmothTheLost Well-Known Member

I'm not suggesting aid by sea instead of by road but as well as. The sheer amount of damage and debris to be cleared on land means it will take time to get supplies through to the coast by road so bringing in some by sea makes sense. Bulk supplies brought in by warship and run ashore in landing craft or other shallow-draft vessels that can run up onto the beach. I just don't believe the US Navy couldn't manage that.

9. Gardener1850

It's not a bad idea. And I'm sure they could do it later if it is needed and if they find a path. The problem becomes once you get the supplies from large ship onto smaller boat and to the beach, you still need vehicles and roads to transport from the beach. This is an example of what the road looks like along the beach:
    [​IMG]
    Hurricane Michael Ripped Up This Florida Beach Road | The Weather Channel

And this:
    [​IMG]
    'I don't have anything left': Hurricane Michael survivors scramble for food, water as death toll rises

This overhead view shows a couple blocks from the beach (beach at bottom of pic):
    [​IMG]
    'I don't have anything left': Hurricane Michael survivors scramble for food, water as death toll rises

They have to go where there are clear paths to transport supplies to the people in need. In the first few days/weeks of a disaster the fastest way (usually an airdrop) and safest way is usually taken first. If they can't get enough supplies via land I would not be surprised if a sea route is explored for longer term solutions. But in the short term it seems more difficult and slower. JMO.

10. MimosaMornings

MimosaMornings Well- Known Member

My prayers to all those devastated by Michael.

11. Gardener1850

Hunt for missing people caught up in Hurricane Michael is now a 'search for the dead' | Daily Mail Online

:(

12. Gardener1850

Jaguars' Malik Jackson helps evacuate cats after Hurricane Michael

13. Gardener1850

Two local churches prepare hot meals for Hurricane Michael victims

14. Gardener1850

In a southwest Georgia city, another devastating attack from Mother Nature

15. Gardener1850

Hurricane Michael aftermath: Thousands join recovery efforts as many residents remain missing

16. Gardener1850

At least 46 missing in Florida city hit hard by Hurricane Michael: Official

17. BUF

BUF Well-Known Member

18. Gardener1850

Read more: 46 unaccounted for in Florida town after Hurricane Michael

19. Gardener1850

Read more: Hurricane Michael makes Sunday church services somber and hopeful

20. Gardener1850

At least 46 missing in Florida city hit hard by Hurricane Michael: Official