Hurricane Sandy updates

Frankenstorm, earthquake in BC, earthquake in LA... I'm scaring myself. I will stay away from the 12/12/12 thread, I will stay away from the 12/12/12 thread, I will stay away from the 12/12/12 thread....

I'll see ya there, LOL.

The early flooding reminds me of the last hurricane that hit Galveston, Tx. And that did not end well. I can't believe landfall isn't until tomorrow afternoon. Holy Moly.

That was Ike? He came right up the valley and knocked down two beautiful, old oak trees in my brother's front yard in Ohio!!! :what::what: And we were outside just minutes before...

Portsmouth VA emergency manager resigns as storm is headed their way

Don Horton has resigned from his newest position with the City of Portsmouth as deputy director of emergency management, less than a week after City Manager Ken Chandler resigned.

http://www.wavy.com/dpp/news/local_news/portsmouth/frmr-fire-chief-resigns-from-new-title

Sounds like there is a lot of internal issues at play.. but good lord, couldn't he have waited a week?

Don Horton has resigned from his newest position with the City of Portsmouth as deputy director of emergency management, less than a week after City Manager Ken Chandler resigned.

http://www.wavy.com/dpp/news/local_news/portsmouth/frmr-fire-chief-resigns-from-new-title

Sounds like there is a lot of internal issues at play.. but good lord, couldn't he have waited a week?

bbm

Um, yeah. Couldn't have picked a worse time. Any locals know what's going on?

That was Ike? He came right up the valley and knocked down two beautiful, old oak trees in my brother's front yard in Ohio!!! :what::what: And we were outside just minutes before...

Yes, thank you! I couldn't remember the name.

Just got word from my uncle who lives in Atlantic City, NJ . He's saying the boardwalk has already began breaking up in certain places.

Yes, thank you! I couldn't remember the name.

Yes, Ike. It was really wierd because my sister was living in Galveston and had evacuated and was in Austin.

She still doesn't like to talk about going back to the island afterwards. She said the devastation was unexplainable and haunting.

So what have we done; we are in the process of buying a place in Garden City Beach, SC...:waitasec::waitasec:

This is suitably ominous:
[video=youtube;m1JVf9j3Y9E]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1JVf9j3Y9E[/video]

Yes, Ike. It was really wierd because my sister was living in Galveston and had evacuated and was in Austin.

She still doesn't like to talk about going back to the island afterwards. She said the devastation was unexplainable and haunting.

So what have we done; we are in the process of buying a place in Garden City Beach, SC...:waitasec::waitasec:

I was in Galveston a year ago and the damage from 2009 was still evident. I love the beach, even with it's pitfalls. I would leap at the chance to live on the coast.

It may be that some are not just listening. Some are hearing....Hurricane, catagory1, no big deal and it will be over in a day....as usual. The thing is, it's now too cold for a "hurricane" and should be looked upon as a HUGE storm that will be lasting for DAYS because of it's size and slow movement. Then add 40-50mph winds to that with predicted gusts of 75-80 and it becomes nerve racking and exhausting. It would be so much better if it was snow....and much more enjoyable. Rain and water... the worse case scenario because of all damage it can do; and you can still go outside in the snow, but not so much in rain...and high winds. Who the heck wants to? Keep us posted as much as you can for those being effected. Hopefully it will just be challenging with possible power outages and crazy bored kids driving your patience to the edge. LOL

Wow! What an a$$ move. Seriously. I hope the public outcry against him is long and loud.

Thinking about all of you in the storms path, please check in when you can.

North shore animal league taking pets for evacuees

http://www.animalleague.org/rescue/pet-rescue-programs/emergency-rescue/hurricane-sandy.html

orth Shore Animal League America deployed two mobile rescue units to Nassau Community College and have set up shelter there for evacuated pets. As people arrive at the shelter with pets, the Animal League will be on hand to help them. Our emergency rescue crew members will ride out the storm with the pets and keep all of them safe and secure.

We have also received cats and dogs from Bobbi & the Strays due to the evacuation of their shelter. All animals will be brought back to Bobbi & the Strays once it is safe.

Our Emergency Rescue Team will monitor the hurricane and be on call round-the-clock.

See a list below of pet-friendly hurricane evacuation shelters in the New York metropolitan area.

Actually, that has shades of Katrina. Perhaps he's in disagreement about the urgency of the storm?

sorry to inundate the thread, i worry about the people AND the pets :(

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
galesr
Back