Hurricane Sandy updates

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/11/03/new-jersey-residents-can-_n_2070016.html

New Jersey Residents Can Vote By Email Or Fax, Governor Chris Christie Says
11/03/12 06:17 PM ET EDT

TRENTON, N.J. -- New Jersey will allow residents displaced by Superstorm Sandy to vote by email or fax.

Officials announced Saturday that registered voters can vote electronically. A resident must submit a mail-in ballot application by fax or email to the local county clerk.

When the request is received, a ballot will be emailed or faxed back. Ballots must be returned no later than 8 p.m. Tuesday.

Lt. Gov. Kim Guadagno says the effort will help alleviate pressure on polling places Tuesday. New Jersey is using military trucks in place of damaged polling places.

More...

What a mess. I cannot imagine that people who have lost everything and still don't have power or water are going to take the time to try to find a way to vote, electronically or otherwise. If Obama somehow doesn't win NY or NJ I predict a long, drawn out fight over the voting reminiscent of 2000.

The one thing that helps (for the election) is that neither is a swing state. Can you imagine if it were Florida? Which isn't that unlikely during hurricane season. I'm kind of surprised it has never happened.

How could she hold on to a tree while holding on to two little boys for hours?
Is the reporter thinking about what he's saying?

Why would she throw a flower pot through a stranger's door? How big is the flower pot and how strong is she?
Is the flower pot filled with dirt and a plant?

Did anybody look at the man. He has facial hair in the video. Am I nuts to think it could be the same guy?
What has the mother said, if anything? She'd probably admit if she knew the people in the house, wouldn't she? :waitasec:

I thought that was odd too, but even Alan says that's true - although he mistook her for a man. When I picture that scene - she's throwing a heavy flower pot through the glass in his kitchen door, there must have been rain coming down in torrents. She was probably completely covered up in a coat with a hood, and he looked out and judged her to be a man - because that's what he was expecting to see as a heavy flower pot flew into his home. You see what you expect to see.

It's a shame this happened. She should have left on Saturday....heck, even Sunday.

Has anyone heard of looters DURING the storm ?

I saw one brief report caught on video showing looters. I don't recall where this occured but a shop owner was pictured saying that the looters were taking anything and everything they could get their hands on, from diapers to televisions.
If this is going on, it's being kept on the downlow.

Also, I saw a report about crooks posing as yard workers going to houses to offer their help. When the homeowner opens the door, they bust in and rob them. One guy was caught but the other two escaped.

I thought that was odd too, but even Alan says that's true - although he mistook her for a man. When I picture that scene - she's throwing a heavy flower pot through the glass in his kitchen door, there must have been rain coming down in torrents. She was probably completely covered up in a coat with a hood, and he looked out and judged her to be a man - because that's what he was expecting to see as a heavy flower pot flew into his home. You see what you expect to see.

Did you get a look at the back of his house? It's elevated and has a decorative fence enclosing the patio around the area. How did she get inside the fence with the rain pouring down and also having to climb an incline in order to even reach the outside of the fenced in area. :waitasec:

This article answers a few of my questions. Dad works in Brooklyn, the road she took next to the beach is said to be the fastest route, ans neighbors thought she might have panicked when the power went out.
http://www.thedailybeast.com/articl...ne-hurricane-ravaged-staten-island-reels.html

Incredible, incredible article. :(

In the week after Katrina, I met and talked to a lot of evacuees because I ran a clothing distribution center at the time. Their stories were worth hearing - of heroism, and terror, and perseverance.

This Daily Beast article brings all that back to me. The power of water, and the power of the desire to survive.

Did you get a look at the back of his house? It's elevated and has a decorative fence enclosing the patio around the area. How did she get inside the fence with the rain pouring down and also having to climb an incline in order to even reach the outside of the fenced in area. :waitasec:

One article references her "climbing fences". I don't know . . . they both (Glenda and Alan) say she threw a gardening pot through the back door.

The daily mail article I read said that her sister said she was holding the boys, standing by the side of the vehicle, and the water flipped the vehicle over, she lost her hold on the boys and then from the way I read it, the vehicle or the resulting wave knocked her down so she couldn't get them back. That is just how I read it, and I may be interpreting wrong.

I see no reason not to believe her. We have a facebook page here that monitors the police and fire scanners so that everyone can read along with what's going on in the area. You would be amazed how many times a call comes in about a woman screaming, or a large fight going on, or someone being held at gunpoint, and so many locals chime in with "I heard her screaming, but I didn't check outside." or "I heard gunshots, but I don't get involved in that type of thing", or my personal favorite, "Oh, I don't look out my door at night. You don't know who could be out there."

Human nature is not to help each other any more. Heroism is in short supply. The battle cry these days is, "Don't be a hero." I feel for this woman, although I can understand why no one called LE. It had already been made clear that if you told to evacuate and did not, they would not be sending people in to save you until it was safe for rescuers to go out. She thought they could ride it out at home, she panicked, but in the end, she really did try to save them, IMO. She was acting on animal instinct, but it overrode her human common sense. MOO

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/11/03/new-jersey-residents-can-_n_2070016.html

New Jersey Residents Can Vote By Email Or Fax, Governor Chris Christie Says
11/03/12 06:17 PM ET EDT

TRENTON, N.J. -- New Jersey will allow residents displaced by Superstorm Sandy to vote by email or fax.

Officials announced Saturday that registered voters can vote electronically. A resident must submit a mail-in ballot application by fax or email to the local county clerk.

When the request is received, a ballot will be emailed or faxed back. Ballots must be returned no later than 8 p.m. Tuesday.

Lt. Gov. Kim Guadagno says the effort will help alleviate pressure on polling places Tuesday. New Jersey is using military trucks in place of damaged polling places.

More...

Thank you for this helpful info.

I had mailed in for an absentee ballot before the storm- I just haven't gotten any mail since except for a few bulk mail pieces. I'm not sure this would apply to me, though, as I mailed it in and I'm sure they already mailed the ballot- I just haven't received it. Ugh! Not sure what to do, but maybe it will come on Monday morning.

ETA: I still haven't decided who I'm voting for so, no pressure, lol!

Losing an hour of daylight after turning the clocks back is losing an hour of time for those trying to clear trees, etc. and get power back on. Everything about this was bad timing. Ugh...

Regarding going to work, I have a similar story. I am not a nurse or in the medical field, and have never had to go to work during a hurricane (we live slightly inland). However, during a major snowstorm here a few years back, when the entire DC metro area had shut down, we were told we had to go to work. We would not be granted leave unless it had been planned ahead of time. There were 2-3 feet of snow, which is alot for this area. Local govts/LE were asking people to stay home and off the roads. But, our supervisor told us we must come in. I fell down the steps leaving for work, and busted my laptop (which I had to pay for). A coworker fell and broke her arm. Several people got stuck in the snow. But -- we showed up b/c we did not want to be written up when our job security depends on our annual evaluation metrics.

I do not know this woman's situation, but I can understand that different offices/hospitals operate differently - and she may have had to go in. She may not have realized how bad the drive would be. Maybe a tree was down on another route, or a powerline. But I don't believe for one second that she knowingly put those boys in danger.

Nor do I believe the man interviewed...

The daily mail article I read said that her sister said she was holding the boys, standing by the side of the vehicle, and the water flipped the vehicle over, she lost her hold on the boys and then from the way I read it, the vehicle or the resulting wave knocked her down so she couldn't get them back. That is just how I read it, and I may be interpreting wrong.

I see no reason not to believe her. We have a facebook page here that monitors the police and fire scanners so that everyone can read along with what's going on in the area. You would be amazed how many times a call comes in about a woman screaming, or a large fight going on, or someone being held at gunpoint, and so many locals chime in with "I heard her screaming, but I didn't check outside." or "I heard gunshots, but I don't get involved in that type of thing", or my personal favorite, "Oh, I don't look out my door at night. You don't know who could be out there."

Human nature is not to help each other any more. Heroism is in short supply. The battle cry these days is, "Don't be a hero." I feel for this woman, although I can understand why no one called LE. It had already been made clear that if you told to evacuate and did not, they would not be sending people in to save you until it was safe for rescuers to go out. She thought they could ride it out at home, she panicked, but in the end, she really did try to save them, IMO. She was acting on animal instinct, but it overrode her human common sense. MOO

You can see where the front tire of her SUV is damaged from falling into the hole. There wasn't a way for her to move forward after that happened. The rest of the story involves her trying to figure out what to do about her predicament and trying to get help.

The tragedy causes one to wonder why her husband was in Brooklyn while she was home alone in Staten Island with their two boys. She left the house just when the winds began and the storm got going full force at around six o'clock at night. What was she thinking?

Some very poor decisions were made and the children paid the ultimate price. I'm sorry no one was willing to help her but, at the same time, her choices led to the tragic deaths of her children.

Are the articles suggesting her husband was collecting trash in Brooklyn at this time? Why was she left to fend for these children by herself? It's passing the buck to blame anybody else other than the parents here imo. It's hard to understand why people are trying to blame racism or any outside person when neither has anything to do with the children being in a vehicle on the open road, near the ocean in the height of the a storm surge.

Unless she previously knew the people in that house, they didn't know what was going on or who or why someone was trying to get into their house. I don't think it's fair to lay the blame on a stranger who did not cause what happened.

I have a son who's a nurse. You're only charged with abandonment if you leave DURING a shift - calling ahead before your shift begins isn't abandonment.

That is correct, the hurricane occurred during her 3rd shift. She was on the job for 8 days. Katrina, New Orleans, University Hospital a part of the Charity Hospital System.

I'm sure she was scheduled to work, and I'm CERTAIN that the hospital had a plan (It is federally mandated). I'm just questioning why she did not go earlier - it's not like here in Indiana, when we have a tornado, there is no notice. People there knew for well over 24 hours what was coming.
And you cannot be charged with abandonment if you cannot get there. I say this as someone who has done a 24 hour shift because of blizzard conditions. I could not leave, the next nurse could not get there, so I stayed.
I guess I'm just mystified by this story, as to why those two little ones had to be placed in harm's way in the first place. It's a tragedy all the way around - to be certain.

Correct, you cannot be charged with abandonment if you cannot get there, but if you were scheduled to work and did not show up, it is unexcused.

Wonder how high the water was in that area? She may have floated!

You can see where the front tire of her SUV is damaged from falling into the hole. There wasn't a way for her to move forward after that happened. The rest of the story involves her trying to figure out what to do about her predicament and trying to get help.

The tragedy causes one to wonder why her husband was in Brooklyn while she was home alone in Staten Island with their two boys. She left the house just when the winds began and the storm got going full force at around six o'clock at night. What was she thinking?

Some very poor decisions were made and the children paid the ultimate price. I'm sorry no one was willing to help her but, at the same time, her choices led to the tragic deaths of her children.

Are the articles suggesting her husband was collecting trash in Brooklyn at this time? Why was she left to fend for these children by herself? It's passing the buck to blame anybody else other than the parents here imo. It's hard to understand why people are trying to blame racism or any outside person when neither has anything to do with the children being in a vehicle on the open road, near the ocean in the height of the a storm surge.

Unless she previously knew the people in that house, they didn't know what was going on or who or why someone was trying to get into their house. I don't think it's fair to lay the blame on a stranger who did not cause what happened.

Could be that when it was time for her to go to work her husband was unable to leave to come home and watch the boys. Things happen!

Wonder how high the water was in that area? She may have floated!

In one of the articles posted here, a man said he heard the honking, looked out his window and saw the suv as it was lifted off its wheels and floated out of site. He had no idea what happened to it. I would hate to be that man too. To look outside and know someone is in distress and see them float away and you can do nothing. Poor man. I'll try to find the link.

Could be that when it was time for her to go to work her husband was unable to leave to come home and watch the boys. Things happen!

I also just read a neighbor said they were getting ready to move to Brooklyn so maybe dad was at the new house and not work. I'll try to find that link too.

In one of the articles posted here, a man said he heard the honking, looked out his window and saw the suv as it was lifted off its wheels and floated out of site. He had no idea what happened to it. I would hate to be that man too. To look outside and know someone is in distress and see them float away and you can do nothing. Poor man. I'll try to find the link.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970204707104578091280918068770.html

It's the Wall Street Journal article I posted earlier. I still don't think anyone has the full story yet, including CNN. I sincerely hope no one is harassing the guy accused of turning Glenda away, but I doubt it....

'We Do Not Have Control' Say Cops As Free Gas Truck Stops Become Chaos

NEW YORK CITY — An effort to give away free fuel across the city began unraveling Saturday amid reports of miles-long lines, people re-selling cans of gas for up to $200 and police admitting they have "lost control of the situation" at one location.

At the Brooklyn Armory in Crown Heights, desperation turned to anger as the line of cars waiting for fuel stretched for miles.

Sounds like disorganized chaos in NYC. I hope things improve in short order.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mhenderson
Back