Hurricane Wilma - Storm Upgraded

Accuweather.com is thinking Wilma will drop to a Cat. 2 by the time it gets to Florida. Still pretty early, though. And 2 isn't pleasant, of course.

I thought if you are inside the boundaries of the eye wall there would be no wind at all. Only as the edge of the eye moves over you would it be windy, right?

Scandi

scandi said:
I thought if you are inside the boundaries of the eye wall there would be no wind at all. Only as the edge of the eye moves over you would it be windy, right?

Scandi
Yes, in the middle of the eye it is calm. But that is pretty brief as it moves over you.

Did I hear right that they think Wilma will hang out over Cancun/Cozumel until Sunday......OMG!!!!!! I can't imagine being one of the tourists (or a local of course!) unable to get out crammed in a shelter! I love both places.....Cozumel even more than Cancun and both are going to be a torn up mess! :(

Sassygerl said:
Did I hear right that they think Wilma will hang out over Cancun/Cozumel until Sunday......OMG!!!!!! I can't imagine being one of the tourists (or a local of course!) unable to get out crammed in a shelter! I love both places.....Cozumel even more than Cancun and both are going to be a torn up mess! :(
You heard exactly right Sassy!

I can't imagine. I mean, outside the resorts, people are very, very poor in these areas. They have nothing and will have even less when this is over. God bless them all.

What if it doesn't do that right angle turn?

Won't it end up back in New Orleans again?

Pook said:
What if it doesn't do that right angle turn?

Won't it end up back in New Orleans again?

Doesn't look like it because of the cold fronts blowing in, but I welcome this thing to Texas. I was soooooo prepared for Rita and we only got enough wind to make my windchime make a little noise :)

Sorry Texans for welcoming the storm, but my yard could use some rain, and as my husband would say we could use a new roof through our insurance...LOL

Margie123 said:
You heard exactly right Sassy!

I can't imagine. I mean, outside the resorts, people are very, very poor in these areas. They have nothing and will have even less when this is over. God bless them all.

oh I know it!!!!! I went diving in Cozumel and spent my honeymoon there.....been to Cancun a couple times as a kid.....so sad for all those who already don't have much to begin with :( :( Outside the resort/tourist area they don't have much and their houses will be wiped clean by this storm :(

WILMA IS EXPECTED TO PRODUCE 10 TO 20 INCHES OF RAIN THROUGH
SUNDAY ACROSS PORTIONS OF WESTERN CUBA AND THE YUCATAN PENINSULA...
WITH ISOLATED AMOUNTS OF 40 INCHES POSSIBLE. OUTER RAINBANDS WILL
CONTINUE TO AFFECT PORTIONS OF SOUTHERN FLORIDA... ESPECIALLY THE
KEYS... PRODUCING 2 TO 4 INCH RAINFALL AMOUNTS THROUGH SUNDAY.

NOAA BUOY 42003 IN THE EASTERN GULF OF MEXICO INDICATES THAT LARGE
SWELLS GENERATED BY WILMA HAVE PROPAGATED WELL INTO THE EASTERN
GULF OF MEXICO. THESE SWELLS WILL LIKELY AFFECT PORTIONS OF THE
NORTHERN GULF COAST TONIGHT AND SATURDAY.

REPEATING THE 10 PM CDT POSITION...20.8 N... 86.9 W. MOVEMENT
TOWARD...NORTH-NORTHWEST NEAR 3 MPH
. MAXIMUM SUSTAINED
WINDS...140 MPH. MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE... 932 MB.

It's grinding over the Yucatan Peninsula--at 3 mph, it is doing maximum damage

Five Day Cone--The Yucatan Peninsula
http://tinyurl.com/exear

Satellite Image (have patience)
http://tinyurl.com/6fmsy

Buzzm1 said:
WILMA IS EXPECTED TO PRODUCE 10 TO 20 INCHES OF RAIN THROUGH
SUNDAY ACROSS PORTIONS OF WESTERN CUBA AND THE YUCATAN PENINSULA...
WITH ISOLATED AMOUNTS OF 40 INCHES POSSIBLE. OUTER RAINBANDS WILL
CONTINUE TO AFFECT PORTIONS OF SOUTHERN FLORIDA... ESPECIALLY THE
KEYS... PRODUCING 2 TO 4 INCH RAINFALL AMOUNTS THROUGH SUNDAY.

NOAA BUOY 42003 IN THE EASTERN GULF OF MEXICO INDICATES THAT LARGE
SWELLS GENERATED BY WILMA HAVE PROPAGATED WELL INTO THE EASTERN
GULF OF MEXICO. THESE SWELLS WILL LIKELY AFFECT PORTIONS OF THE
NORTHERN GULF COAST TONIGHT AND SATURDAY.

REPEATING THE 10 PM CDT POSITION...20.8 N... 86.9 W. MOVEMENT
TOWARD...NORTH-NORTHWEST NEAR 3 MPH
. MAXIMUM SUSTAINED
WINDS...140 MPH. MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE... 932 MB.

It's grinding over the Yucatan Peninsula--at 3 mph, it is doing maximum damage

Five Day Cone--The Yucatan Peninsula
http://tinyurl.com/exear

Oh I am so worried!!!!! I feel for all these people...this storm is moving at a very, very slow pace. We had hoped to go to Cozumel in March, but I think the island will be destroyed. We'll see.....we still plan on the Caymans the first week of June just so we can stay out of the "storms" path. At least we pray and hope! Our kids love the Caymans! I pray we don't have more storms!!!!!!

Sassygerl said:
Oh I am so worried!!!!! I feel for all these people...this storm is moving at a very, very slow pace. We had hoped to go to Cozumel in March, but I think the island will be destroyed. We'll see.....we still plan on the Caymans the first week of June just so we can stay out of the "storms" path. At least we pray and hope! Our kids love the Caymans! I pray we don't have more storms!!!!!!
I think you will have to forget Cozumel for quite awhile.

The eye is changing dramatically now that Wilma is on land.

Buzzm1 said:
I think you will have to forget Cozumel for quite awhile.

The eye is changing dramatically now that Wilma is on land.

:( I've been diving there and also spent my honeymoon there.......I hope everyone there is safe....looks like a bad spot to be in!!!!! We outran a hurricane while in the Caymans this summer......oh the hurricanes. They seem to always be on our news lately!!!!!! I am already planning our vacation to the Caymans next summer the day the kids get out of school.......hate doing it that way, but with these storms we have to! They can go to camp later in the summer.........I hate these hurricanes and I don't live in Florida!!!!! Bless those that do!

Sassygerl said:
:( I've been diving there and also spent my honeymoon there.......I hope everyone there is safe....looks like a bad spot to be in!!!!! We outran a hurricane while in the Caymans this summer......oh the hurricanes. They seem to always be on our news lately!!!!!! I am already planning our vacation to the Caymans next summer the day the kids get out of school.......hate doing it that way, but with these storms we have to! They can go to camp later in the summer.........I hate these hurricanes and I don't live in Florida!!!!! Bless those that do!
This has been quite a year for hurricanes; since records were first kept, this year we have had the #1, #4, and #6 strongest hurricanes on record--unbelievable.

Despite being over land, Wilma hasn't slowed down very much.

REPEATING THE 1 AM CDT POSITION...20.8 N... 87.2 W. MOVEMENT...
MEANDERING. MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS...135 MPH. MINIMUM CENTRAL
PRESSURE... 935 MB.

Buzzm1 said:
This has been quite a year for hurricanes; since records were first kept, this year we have had the #1, #4, and #6 strongest hurricanes on record--unbelievable.

Despite being over land, Wilma hasn't slowed down very much.

REPEATING THE 1 AM CDT POSITION...20.8 N... 87.2 W. MOVEMENT...
MEANDERING. MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS...135 MPH. MINIMUM CENTRAL
PRESSURE... 935 MB.

Yeah, and I don't know where Fred is, but he needs to control his woman!!!!!! She's out of control!!!!!!! :D

Sassygerl said:
The howling winds caused severe damage in Playa de Carmen, flattening dozens of wood-and-tarpaper houses, and sending everything from rooftop water tanks to boards used as window coverings flying through the air.

Worse was the slowness of the storm, which was almost stalled over the resort-studded coast since Friday.

"This is the equivalent of having four or five hurricanes of this size pass over one after the other, given the amount of time we have been suffering hurricane-force winds," said Quintana Roo Gov. Felix Gonzalez Cantu, whose state includes Cancun. "Never in the history of Quintana Roo have we has storm like this."

http://tinyurl.com/bzzlt

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back