I am looking for answers for my sister..

CuriousLittleKitty

Reaction score
My sister who is on the spectrum was sent to a residential treatment center for children somewhere in New Mexico in the 1990's. During this time I believe she was about 5-6 years old. My mother was frustrated that my sister wouldn't stop biting her arm or something . The first day my sister got back from there she got into the backseat of the car next to me and hit me and told me she hated me. It was shocking because, she was never like this before .Soon after this my mom kind of ditched us all. My sister changed after that place it was obvious to me even as a kid they had hurt her deeply there. My other sister and I who are also on the spectrum, but in a more "passing" way would talk about how my sister was never the same after the "Da Masta." "Da Masta" is what we all called that place but, we all had speech impediments and tended to mess words up. My sister would cry in her bed at night and would get upset at the mere mention of the name of that place. She never told us what they did to her there. I think she has never been truly happy after that and hated everyone and everything. Before she went she was happy a good portion of the time, and was best friends with me and my other sibling not really mean or cold. She did get over stimulated and have melt downs but she was still happy a good portion of the time and able to bond with us in our own way. She never trusts anyone or anything now, I don't believe she'll ever open up about what happened or why she is so hurt. I've searched everywhere to find more info on this place and what it was like, even what happened to it. I haven't been able to find out the real name or more information on their treatment methods. I was hoping someone could help me find more info on this place so I can understand what my sister might have gone through and maybe now as adults I can better help her to heal. I really want to understand as much as I can though I know it will always be a guess right now I have no information to even begin to make an educated guess.

My sister who is on the spectrum was sent to a residential treatment center for children somewhere in New Mexico in the 1990's. During this time I believe she was about 5-6 years old. My mother was frustrated that my sister wouldn't stop biting her arm or something . The first day my sister got back from there she got into the backseat of the car next to me and hit me and told me she hated me. It was shocking because, she was never like this before .Soon after this my mom kind of ditched us all. My sister changed after that place it was obvious to me even as a kid they had hurt her deeply there. My other sister and I who are also on the spectrum, but in a more "passing" way would talk about how my sister was never the same after the "Da Masta." "Da Masta" is what we all called that place but, we all had speech impediments and tended to mess words up. My sister would cry in her bed at night and would get upset at the mere mention of the name of that place. She never told us what they did to her there. I think she has never been truly happy after that and hated everyone and everything. Before she went she was happy a good portion of the time, and was best friends with me and my other sibling not really mean or cold. She did get over stimulated and have melt downs but she was still happy a good portion of the time and able to bond with us in our own way. She never trusts anyone or anything now, I don't believe she'll ever open up about what happened or why she is so hurt. I've searched everywhere to find more info on this place and what it was like, even what happened to it. I haven't been able to find out the real name or more information on their treatment methods. I was hoping someone could help me find more info on this place so I can understand what my sister might have gone through and maybe now as adults I can better help her to heal. I really want to understand as much as I can though I know it will always be a guess right now I have no information to even begin to make an educated guess.
I’m sorry to hear this! What state was it in?

@CuriousLittleKitty, I don’t know if you’d remember this (or if you ever even knew the answer but it doesn’t hurt to ask): do you remember if it was a program specifically geared towards autism or just general “behavioral concerns” for lack of a better term? That knowledge might help some of our members research.

I’m leaning towards a general behavioral residential program simply because the autism community was dramatically underserved throughout most of the 1990s, unlike the wide variety of programs and resources available today.

Any idea how long she was there? Privately owned or publicly funded? Girls and boys accepted into the program? Is it possible the program was advertised under the guise of a “reform school” of sorts because all over the country that term has been linked to widespread horrific abuses. Sorry to pepper you with so many questions and take your time answering. Just using my knowledge of residential facilities to try and possibly narrow certain things down.

ETA: programs weren’t as regulated in the 1990s but things weren’t a free for all. With how young she was I’m leaning more towards a hospital-like setting. I could be totally off base though.

Last edited:
@CuriousLittleKitty, I don’t know if you’d remember this (or if you ever even knew the answer but it doesn’t hurt to ask): do you remember if it was a program specifically geared towards autism or just general “behavioral concerns” for lack of a better term? That knowledge might help some of our members research.

I’m leaning towards a general behavioral residential program simply because the autism community was dramatically underserved throughout most of the 1990s, unlike the wide variety of programs and resources available today.

Any idea how long she was there? Privately owned or publicly funded? Girls and boys accepted into the program? Is it possible the program was advertised under the guise of a “reform school” of sorts because all over the country that term has been linked to widespread horrific abuses. Sorry to pepper you with so many questions and take your time answering. Just using my knowledge of residential facilities to try and possibly narrow certain things down.

ETA: programs weren’t as regulated in the 1990s but things weren’t a free for all. With how young she was I’m leaning more towards a hospital-like setting. I could be totally off base though.

Thank you for your questions. I'm open to any and all questions. I do not believe it was only toward autism, I believe it was a general behavioral program. I thought a psyche ward or hospital too, but she did tell us there was only other kids there and it was a place for kids. From everything she was able to share with us ( which was not very much ) if I had to guess I'd say a reform school. I think they had a school bus of sorts.

I’ll probably have more questions. Tonight and tomorrow I will do some research into New Mexico laws re: accreditation of facilities in the 1990s because outside of a strict hospital setting I can’t believe any program could have received accreditation to house children that young. It’s highly possible though that during that time period a facility either operated without such accreditation or somehow managed to find a loophole to operate around it.

I’ll probably have more questions. Tonight and tomorrow I will do some research into New Mexico laws re: accreditation of facilities in the 1990s because outside of a strict hospital setting I can’t believe any program could have received accreditation to house children that young. It’s highly possible though that during that time period a facility either operated without such accreditation or somehow managed to find a loophole to operate around it.

Thank you, I really appreciate it. I will continue checking back here to answer any question or respond to any information.

I am hopeful for you and your sister. I am not familiar with children's residential treatment in New Mexico but I'm wondering if it may be possible the referral for residential treatment was made by a family physician or family service case manager, and there would be file information your sister could access.

There is an institution called Namaste Child and Family Development Center in New Mexico. According to Namaste Child and Family Development Center ,this institution was founded in 1989. You can check further details from the above link. I mentioned this place because you said that you called that place 'Da Masta' which is strikingly similar to 'Namaste' . Not much information is available about this place on the internet. Hope this helps.

I am hopeful for you and your sister. I am not familiar with children's residential treatment in New Mexico but I'm wondering if it may be possible the referral for residential treatment was made by a family physician or family service case manager, and there would be file information your sister could access.

Your sister's medical record may have information about the facility. She will ahve to request the record in writing, and may have to pay a copying fee.

If the facility was state funded, there are surely health reports and potentially more.

Best, Laughing

You might skip reading this article, which may have nothing at all to do with the agency you're researching:

Investigation reveals serious abuses within treatment foster care system

Sleuthers please have at it!

There is an institution called Namaste Child and Family Development Center in New Mexico. According to Namaste Child and Family Development Center ,this institution was founded in 1989. You can check further details from the above link. I mentioned this place because you said that you called that place 'Da Masta' which is strikingly similar to 'Namaste' . Not much information is available about this place on the internet. Hope this helps.

Wow, great sleuthing!

Thank you for your questions. I'm open to any and all questions. I do not believe it was only toward autism, I believe it was a general behavioral program. I thought a psyche ward or hospital too, but she did tell us there was only other kids there and it was a place for kids. From everything she was able to share with us ( which was not very much ) if I had to guess I'd say a reform school. I think they had a school bus of sorts.

She could have been in a facility with adults also, but she was housed in the "children's department" and assumed it was all children. Good luck on your research. I hope you can find some help for your sister.

I think the Namaste lead sounds like a good one. I just will mention if there is any chance your mom or another adult she knew were involved in Scientology, they used to a run a "ranch style" school in New Mexico that claimed to solve behavioral issues in children. I don't think it would have been available to people outside of Scientology, but in looking up the history, it was started in 1987:
Mace-Kingsley Ranch School - Wikipedia

I have tried this! Its a good idea, we were wards of the state. The state at the time had some really incompetent bureaucracy and most of our records are missing or lost.

Last edited:
I think the Namaste lead sounds like a good one. I just will mention if there is any chance your mom or another adult she knew were involved in Scientology, they used to a run a "ranch style" school in New Mexico that claimed to solve behavioral issues in children. I don't think it would have been available to people outside of Scientology, but in looking up the history, it was started in 1987:
I agree,
Your sister's medical record may have information about the facility. She will ahve to request the record in writing, and may have to pay a copying fee.

If the facility was state funded, there are surely health reports and potentially more.

Best, Laughing

You might skip reading this article, which may have nothing at all to do with the agency you're researching:

Investigation reveals serious abuses within treatment foster care system

Sleuthers please have at it!

Thank you, unfortunately a lot of our records are lost are misplaced. The article looks interesting to me.

Yes some of my moms first cousins were and are still scientologist. These are some of the family members my mom was closest with for a decade.

Thank you, this has really helped. This seems like the most likely institution.

Do you think this school could have been the explanation for her referencing them being on a school bus?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannahdunnam
Back