I think I love this - a new approach to the question of gay marriage

Ang50 said:
My ideal world proposal is that from here on out, there are ONLY civil unions performed by the state. You are required to go to the courthouse, and take a vow there. After that - you can go to a church, backyard, whatever, but the legal part is already done.
That's a good idea, Ang50. Then we can call all of them marriages, which is what they are. People would still be free to have a church wedding if they desire.

I'm slow brained today, too, SCM. The time changes always mess with my internal clock- though the one in the spring just about KILLS me.

IrishMist said:
That reminds me of a quote... I THINK it was Robin Williams, but I could be wrong- something along the lines of "If you want to stop gay sex, let them get married!"
That's too funny, but oh so true. Thanks for the laugh.

scandi said:
I came to quickly erase that post from last night, as I realized I am totally off the wall in thinking that way and need to change. All of your posts made sense to me. It boils down to the fact I don't think the government should be involved in peoples sex lives and dictate who can or can not be married. If people love each other and want to be married, marriage is marriage, and they shouldn't be denied priviledges other married people enjoy.

That's how I really feel. I might have a personal problem with how my brother has handled his being gay in never discussing this and he is 44.
But now I realize that is a seperate issue and shouldn't influence how I feel about gay marriage.

Thanks for all of your coments. Scandi
Scandi- good for you to come back with this response!!! I was a wee bit upset with your initial response but also recognized a frustration that I had with my sister for many years too- it wasn't that she didn't openly admit she was gay but that said, she certainly didn't shout it from the rooftops etc... and we (our family) were given "rules" when we met her partner's family- like don't say anything about that, we are just friends- they don't know nor would they understand- one, we love my sister for who she is- faults, blessings and all (ha)- and they don't have anything to do with her sexual preference- who the heck cares, really
doh.gif
- but to have to bow down to the pressures of society and remember who we can "be open with" and not about this is very frustrating- I just wish she would be who she is (at 43) and relax about what other people think- truly!

I said to her once, do you really think the family (of her partner) don't know the truth?! I mean it is clearly evident but I guess they all choose to play the game- put on the blinders and introduce her as the"friend" or roommate- somehow it diminishes their relationship to me and it truly bothers me...but I ramble...

Buttom line is, you wish your brother would be true to himself and that has personally affected your judgement and opinion of this topic- that I understand... but perhaps it is time to be true to ourselves- love them for who they are and stand up for their rights- even though they don't as much as they should. JMHO!
blowkises.gif

Ps... I do beg to differ on the religious vs. legal sanctioning of marriage- it truly is not our call to make that profound a statement- personally imho it should be about being true to one another in all senses of becoming "one"- gender should not even be considered...but of course, that is another novel in itself- sigh! Truce!
innocent1.gif

newtv said:
canadians do know
Harper is an a$$-hole..canadians are not the Harpers of the world anymore than the US population are Bush fans..Harpers time is coming..
clap.gif
clap.gif
clap.gif
clap.gif
clap.gif

Linda7NJ said:
IMO Gay people deserve to be just as miserable as the rest of us...let them marry;)
laugh.gif
Ha ha Linda- humour is universal and yes, misery loves company! hehehe

IrishMist said:
That's a good idea, Ang50. Then we can call all of them marriages, which is what they are. People would still be free to have a church wedding if they desire.
And I do think that part - the ceremony - is important. There is something important and fundamental for your relationship when you stand up in front of everyone you love and declare your bond. IMHO, we are doing a HUGE disservice to homosexual couples by denying them that opportunity - at least on the state level.

Plus, then each state has no problem recognized the quickie marriage performed by Elvis in Las Vegas when the people just met and were totally drunk... as long as it's one man and one woman - that's totally fine and acceptable. We should have more respect for the institution of marriage.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leannamj
Back