IA - 5 South Winn students expected to be charged with assault, Calmar, 31 January, 2019

hawkeyefan51

Reaction score
I'm south of you, near Cedar Rapids. What the heck is going on up there? I read the paper that's local to Decorah and the comments suggested teacher and coached involvement along with the students. The county attorney has a conflict of interest so it was handed over to the Howard county attorney who also has a conflict of interest. What..maybe the IA Attorney General office needs to become involved. Last summer 2 boys were arrested for assault and the murder when the man they beat up died from his injuries. I think this was near Decorah..don't remember. Winn. is mostly a rural county..no larger cities..and these instances of violence are scary and sad. I will follow along if there are any updates.

IowaMom4

Reaction score
Go HAWKS! :)

Well local rumors are flying, of course but the Decorah paper has summed things well, I think. It sounds as if this has been going on awhile and I'd just now coming to light and being reported on

Small, rural communities with athletes who think they are "untouchable", and adults who try to sweep things under the rug and take care of things "in hoyse". I'm not surprised with the conflict of interest issues. In very interested to see what happens!

https://decorahnewspapers.com/Mobil...as-a-conflict-with-South-Winn-case/2/10/47084

hawkeyefan51

Reaction score
I saw the updates...feel so sad for this young man because I'm sure everyone knows who he is. I live in a small rural community and no the star athlete syndrome that can affect some kids, even entire communities. Glad there was follow-up and the 18 yr. old was arrested and charged. Shame on the adults involved!!! This wasn't some harmless prank. It was a cruel and sick assault. I will continue to look for follow ups. Hope the juveniles face some serious punishment also. This poor kid will probably have to move to have peace.

IowaMom4

Reaction score
Probable cause has been ruled for a South Winneshiek graduate to stand trial on charges of Assault with Intent to Commit Sexual Abuse

"Winneshiek County Magistrate Nathaniel Moonen presided over a Sunday afternoon court appearance by 18-year-old Braxton Smith, one of five people facing charges in connection with an incident last June at a home on 180th Street, west of Spillville.

A criminal complaint was filed and a copy was given to Smith. Moonen then determined that there is probable cause to believe that an offense has been committed and the defendant committed it."

No trial date has been set yet