IA IA - Elizabeth Collins, 8, & Lyric Cook, 10, Evansdale, 13 July 2012 - #12

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gosh it would be so cool if we all could get together and go to Evansdale and do our own investigation.

Absolutely agree! I have never understood why searches have not been ongoing since the day the girls went missing. If LE can't/won't do it you would think family/friends/community would organize searches. All the cases I've ever followed there were many searches.

So much about this case just seems "odd".

I do not mean to offend or accuse anyone just wondering why....

One reason the searches were stopped is because emergency workers were spending too much time and money (for food, medical care, water) looking after the searchers. They were unprepared, not dressed properly, de-hydrated and not as careful as police wanted.

One reason the searches were stopped is because emergency workers were spending too much time and money (for food, medical care, water) looking after the searchers. They were unprepared, not dressed properly, de-hydrated and not as careful as police wanted.

Then get the National Guard!

There is an FBI office in Omaha that covers all of Iowa.

Which would mean they are probably Cornhusker fans who regard my poor Hawkeyes as so much dirt to pick out of their cleats. It's amazing how big those Cornhuskers look when they are playing the Hawkeyes.

The FBI has a field office in West Des Moines-I believe the officers dispatched to Evansdale are part of the CARD team-There are 10 CARD teams located throught the country. They are dispatched to only the most serious of child abduction cases. Oh, and go Hawks!

http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/investigate/vc_majorthefts/cac/card

http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/investigate/vc_majorthefts/cac/non-family-abductions

If our judicial system doesn't start making these crimes carry stiffer penalties (life in prison, no chance for parole-no exceptions or execute, depending on the state) our children don't have a fighting chance!
The judicial system can only enforce the laws that we, through our elected officials, choose to have. If we are too lenient with sex offenders, it is our fault as a society, not the government's or the justice system's fault.

I called TES, Tim Miller, last week and left a message pretty much begging him come to Iowa and at least give his opinion, suggestions, etc. I haven't heard anything back. Wonder if both sets of parents would agree, or if TES even needs the parents ok at this point?? Anyone know? I will call him again.

The judicial system can only enforce the laws that we, through our elected officials, choose to have. If we are too lenient with sex offenders, it is our fault as a society, not the government's or the justice system's fault.

Some didn't know that, I as one. This means we have some work to do if this is ever going to stop or make a difference.:rocker:

Gosh it would be so cool if we all could get together and go to Evansdale and do our own investigation.

I've given it VERY serious consideration, but the black conv benz would stand out. Maybe I have to rent a white van to fit in. :crazy: (cindersoot, I know you own a van, so this is not at you). The real problem is time, not the car standing out. I own a business and this has already eaten into that time quite a bit. Plus my wife thinks I am obsessed and insane. I wish I could figure out how to get there. Not that I am any smarter than LE, but I might feel less helpless.

This isn't aimed at you, cindersoot. What you said was just a convenient jumping off place for me.

If anyone plans to go to Evansdale and do some sleuthing in person, please keep in mind that Evansdale is a community that has been traumatised. Right now, anyone who acts different is going to get extra notice, may cause extra stress and may well be reported to the police.

If you stick to public places, you may attract notice but you're fine, legally.

If you think you might want to inspect, say, the sewage lift station or the empty house for sale, please, please, call LE first and give them a head's up as to who you are and what you are doing.

It's not that the people of Iowa are narrow minded xenophobes. It's that the people of Evansdale are really, really scared and stressed out.

Please treat them gently.

I've given it VERY serious consideration, but the black conv benz would stand out. Maybe I have to rent a white van to fit in. :crazy: (cindersoot, I know you own a van, so this is not at you). The real problem is time, not the car standing out. I own a business and this has already eaten into that time quite a bit. Plus my wife thinks I am obsessed and insane. I wish I could figure out how to get there. Not that I am any smarter than LE, but I might feel less helpless.

The reason I went to Evansdale was to see it for myself, to get a better perspective. Looking at pics and the goggle map just wasn't the same.

The reason I went to Evansdale was to see it for myself, to get a better perspective. Looking at pics and the goggle map just wasn't the same.

I agree. That is what I was thinking. Not that I could solve the crime per se or that I would start searching private property myself, but I would have a better understanding of the lay of the land and types of streets and how they feel. What is the likelihood and common sense paths for biking. I just want a feel for the area as it is today.

IMO, There should be community searches. How do they expect to find the girls?

Am i the only one that uses the "Thanks" button as a "Like/Agree" button too?

I actually thought that's what is was for.

Although many times a post has an update or info. of which I was not aware, etc. so I am actually saying "Thanks for this useful post" or whatever that says when the Thanks button is used.

K.

The other problem is that, in my own opinion, I believe we are filling up prison space with non-violent offenders.

If the US would abandon the war on drugs and decide to treat substance abuse as a medical problem rather than a legal problem, we would free up lots and lots of space in prisons.

Right now, just over 1% of the US population is in jail or prison. That's higher than almost any other industrialised nation. We can't sustain that sort of spending on the prison system and take care of everything else that needs to be taken care of.

For instance, if anyone cares to google on "us bridges needing repair" they may never cross another bridge in the US without a few questions as to the structural safety going through their mind.

Between locking up more pot heads and fixing bridges? I'll always vote for fixing bridges.

I called TES, Tim Miller, last week and left a message pretty much begging him come to Iowa and at least give his opinion, suggestions, etc. I haven't heard anything back. Wonder if both sets of parents would agree, or if TES even needs the parents ok at this point?? Anyone know? I will call him again.

I thought TES policy was that they needed permission from both the parents and LE to start a search.

IMO, There should be community searches. How do they expect to find the girls?

LE searches have been continuing since the very beginning.

I assume that LE thinks they will find the girls either via their searches or by finding the perpetrator(s).

I thought TES policy was that they needed permission from both the parents and LE to start a search.

That is correct. Plus, when TES uses volunteers, they give them a brief training. Not just "go out and look".

Sometimes vols can mess up what evidence that may have been there in the first place... but as a case grows colder volunteers may be the ones to find the missing person. Or a random hunter/walker/whatev.

As to traveling to a place to try and figure out what happened, I bet we all have been on the thoughtwave once or twice, but it probably won't help anything unless you have unlimited time.

It's horrible to say, but with all the recent abduction attempts here in Iowa, Im so paranoid that one will attempt and will succeed. I only say that because they get braver.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mintexas