IA IA - Elizabeth Collins, 8, & Lyric Cook, 10, Evansdale, 13 July 2012 - #35

Status
Not open for further replies.
Drew, when he had a facebook account, spoke up on Cedar Valley Mugshots about JJB. He later deleted his comments and his fb account within the week, iirc. JJB was charged with 7 counts of lavacious acts upon a child under 13, he was 21. He spent about 6 weeks, if that, in jail. Charged, plead guilty, 10 years probation and 10 years registering as a RSO, no contact with victim. JJB did make posts on his fb and a meetme site that said he was cousin to Lyric, iirc. Odd dude. No fb anymore for JJB as he's a RSO or other sites that's I've found.

I don't know how Drew felt before Elizabeth's body or Lyric's body were found, but shortly afterwards he was on a campaign to stop RSO's. He is providing a service much needed. I admire him but also worry about him.

For Drew to take a hard stance and fight, I think he knows more than anyone else. Maybe their clothes were found but not on them. If he knows something like that, I can see why he is doing what he's doing even more so. jmo

Drew, when he had a facebook account, spoke up on Cedar Valley Mugshots about JJB. He later deleted his comments and his fb account within the week, iirc. JJB was charged with 7 counts of lavacious acts upon a child under 13, he was 21. He spent about 6 weeks, if that, in jail. Charged, plead guilty, 10 years probation and 10 years registering as a RSO, no contact with victim. JJB did make posts on his fb and a meetme site that said he was cousin to Lyric, iirc. Odd dude. No fb anymore for JJB as he's a RSO or other sites that's I've found.

I don't know how Drew felt before Elizabeth's body or Lyric's body were found, but shortly afterwards he was on a campaign to stop RSO's. He is providing a service much needed. I admire him but also worry about him.

For Drew to take a hard stance and fight, I think he knows more than anyone else. Maybe their clothes were found but not on them. If he knows something like that, I can see why he is doing what he's doing even more so. jmo

I completely agree. I think it's a much needed cause no matter what the circumstances. It does make me think he knows more than others might, though. I worry about him too... worry about all of them, actually.

Drew and Heather haven't just focused on RSO's. In the past they have also been concerned about drug use and missing children:

Friday was no different, except the couple was now in a conference room of a Des Moines hotel, listening to a Los Angeles police detective sergeant talk about the connection between drug use and missing children.

“This is ground zero for what’s going on,” Drew said, explaining why he, Heather and other members of their family made the trip to Des Moines to talk about their tragedy at the Preventing Abuse conference put on by the California-based Cedars Cultural and Educational Foundation. “A lot of people need to hear what’s being said here.”

http://wcfcourier.com/news/evansdal...cle_43c9b688-1aa1-11e2-9abd-0019bb2963f4.html

Thanks Marilynilpa. I think it's all of what they are tyring to do. I just noted his strong stance soon after the girl's were found. That article is dated 10/12. The girls were found 12/5/12. Since then, he's focused on RSO's unless there's more I've missed. My apologies if so.

Personally I think by unpopular opinion, it's drugs & abuse. They go hand in hand so many times.

Thanks Marilynilpa. I think it's all of what they are tyring to do. I just noted his strong stance soon after the girl's were found. That article is dated 10/12. The girls were found 12/5/12. Since then, he's focused on RSO's unless there's more I've missed. My apologies if so.

Personally I think by unpopular opinion, it's drugs & abuse. They go hand in hand so many times.

You're right, Drew does seem to be focusing on RSO's now.

Your "unpopular opinion" is shared by many, IMO.

Once again please see Daniel Morecombes thread.

Eight years, a coronial inquest and a years long undercover jail sting before an arrest was made.

The case presented was so airtight the perp was taken into custody and never released, even on bail.

We can demand CSI results or we can be patient. A year or even two isn't that long in the scheme of things.

Rush for results may produce another OJ or Casey.

We are hopefully all familiar with the delays and frustration in investigating major crimes. No one gets more frustrated than LE
To accuse them of not having a clue adds insult to injury

I am positive there is not one local lawman or woman who is not eating, sleeping and breathing this case. They live in the community too and have kids of their own - they care. They also work very hard on heinous crimes like this, often at the expense of their own families.

Its offensive to state otherwise imo.

Yes, SapphireSteel, I agree every local & state LEO has been eating, sleeping and breathing this case, and are very frustrated that there has not been a successful conclusion after almost 18 months.

However, I disagree that is offensive for others to express their differing opinion that the investigation may have been botched due to the many investigative errors and faulty assumptions by investigators in the initial stages. The information that a white, older model, full-size SUV-type vehicle was witnessed at the park early in the investigation and should have been shared with the public, imo. Imo, investigators have squandered their most valuable investigative resource in this case; the American public...

In the midst of the investigation, the lead senior state investigator was removed from the case.

Public awareness and transparency is imperative for successful missing/murdered persons investigations, imo. Here we are almost 18 months later with very important questions, yet very few answers...

Just a few of the many errors and missteps in the EC & LC investigation, imo:

http://wcfcourier.com/news/evansdal...cle_bc5363a2-dcf1-11e2-be6a-001a4bcf887a.html

According to a press release from the Black Hawk County Sheriff’s Office, investigators have received witness information that a white, older model, full-size SUV-type vehicle was parked on or near the lake along Arbutus Avenue near Meyers Lake on July 13, the day the girls went missing.

Smock said the newly released information was a combination of old and new reports.

“Earlier on, within the first two or three months of the girls going missing, as we were interviewing people ... a couple of different people identified the vehicle as being on Arbutus,” Smock said. “A few months ago, we received some information from another party who had seen a similar vehicle on the east side of the lake.”

The latest information came from a woman who assumed police had already been told about what she saw, but they had not, Smock said.

He said no description is available of the person or persons in the vehicle.

Additionally, the abduction of two girls in Dayton and the subsequent murder of one of them grabbed investigators’ attention just days after they received the latest information on the white SUV.

http://www.classichitsandoldies.com/v2/2012/07/22/fbi-believes-missing-iowa-girls-are-alive/

FBI Believes Missing Iowa Girls Are Alive
22 July 2012

(NEW YORK) — The FBI said they have evidence that leads them to believe that two missing Iowa girls are still alive.

“We believe the two girls are alive,” FBI spokeswoman Sandy Breault told ABC News. Breault said this belief was based partly on the evidence found Friday, but would not elaborate further.

Authorities reclassified the case as an abduction on Friday.

http://www.coloradoan.com/usatoday/article/3875803

Officials continue to investigate a possible link to Michael J. Klunder, who police say abducted two girls from Dayton on May 20 and killed one, 15-year-old Kathlynn Shepard, before killing himself.

Officials have not found any evidence linking Klunder to the Evansdale case, but they haven't ruled him out either, Meyers said.

"We're still leaving it on the table at this point," Meyers said. "We don't have substantial facts to articulate either way," that Klunder was or wasn't responsible.

Investigators are still waiting for some evidence to be analyzed at a specialized FBI crime lab, and Meyers said there is no timeline for when that analysis could be completed.

http://qctimes.com/promo/front/deco...cle_923086ce-d1f5-11e2-9935-0019bb2963f4.html

Decorated DCI special agent suspended

Special Agent in Charge Larry Hedlund, a 25-year department veteran, has been on paid administrative leave since May 1, Department of Public Safety spokesman Rob Hansen told The Associated Press.

Hansen said other special agents have handled Hedlund's responsibilities during the suspension, and he downplayed the impact on the missing cousins case, which is currently very active. Since late May, investigators have been looking for any tie in the case to Michael Klunder, a registered sex offender who committed suicide last month after police said he kidnapped two girls in central Iowa. One of the girls escaped but the older girl, 15-year-old Kathlynn Shepard, was found dead over the weekend.

"There are a number of extremely talented investigators within the DCI. We're doing all we can" to follow leads in the death of the cousins, 10-year-old Lyric Cook and 8-year-old Elizabeth Collins, Hansen said

http://www.kcci.com/news/central-io...18107780/-/vklortz/-/index.html#ixzz2Lsen3asD

State crime lab tech fired over errors
Scope of problem still unknown

Read more: http://www.kcci.com/news/central-io...18107780/-/vklortz/-/index.html#ixzz2mnSgTSTK

http://www.cbsnews.com/pictures/fbis-top-10-most-wanted-fugitives/

FBI's Top 10 Most Wanted Fugitives
The program was founded on March 14, 1950, when a reporter asked late FBI Director J. Edgar Hoover for the names and descriptions of the "toughest guys" the Bureau would like to capture. The resulting article generated so much publicity and had so much appeal that Hoover implemented the top ten program.

Since its inception, 497 fugitives have been on the top ten list. Among those listed, the FBI says that 466 have been apprehended or located, including 154 fugitives who were captured or located as a result of citizen cooperation.

The current top ten list is maintained on the FBI website and relies on the assistance of citizens and the media..

Sorry new to this. Any of the family/friends park ranger or hunter? Does the location have a park ranger?

Not sure I like taptalk.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

I'd just like to point out that there HAS been arrests. Just no charges (yet ).

Foxfire,

Thank you for your insight, your posts and your links and opinions. It is appreciated by many! :seeya:

Yes, SapphireSteel, I agree every local & state LEO has been eating, sleeping and breathing this case, and are very frustrated that there has not been a successful conclusion after almost 18 months.

However, I disagree that is offensive for others to express their differing opinion that the investigation may have been botched due to the many investigative errors and faulty assumptions by investigators in the initial stages. The information that a white, older model, full-size SUV-type vehicle was witnessed at the park early in the investigation and should have been shared with the public, imo. Imo, investigators have squandered their most valuable investigative resource in this case; the American public...

In the midst of the investigation, the lead senior state investigator was removed from the case.

Public awareness and transparency is imperative for successful missing/murdered persons investigations, imo. Here we are almost 18 months later with very important questions, yet very few answers...

Just a few of the many errors and missteps in the EC & LC investigation, imo:

http://wcfcourier.com/news/evansdal...cle_bc5363a2-dcf1-11e2-be6a-001a4bcf887a.html

According to a press release from the Black Hawk County Sheriff’s Office, investigators have received witness information that a white, older model, full-size SUV-type vehicle was parked on or near the lake along Arbutus Avenue near Meyers Lake on July 13, the day the girls went missing.

Smock said the newly released information was a combination of old and new reports.

“Earlier on, within the first two or three months of the girls going missing, as we were interviewing people ... a couple of different people identified the vehicle as being on Arbutus,” Smock said. “A few months ago, we received some information from another party who had seen a similar vehicle on the east side of the lake.”

The latest information came from a woman who assumed police had already been told about what she saw, but they had not, Smock said.

He said no description is available of the person or persons in the vehicle.

Additionally, the abduction of two girls in Dayton and the subsequent murder of one of them grabbed investigators’ attention just days after they received the latest information on the white SUV.

http://www.classichitsandoldies.com/v2/2012/07/22/fbi-believes-missing-iowa-girls-are-alive/

FBI Believes Missing Iowa Girls Are Alive
22 July 2012

(NEW YORK) — The FBI said they have evidence that leads them to believe that two missing Iowa girls are still alive.

“We believe the two girls are alive,” FBI spokeswoman Sandy Breault told ABC News. Breault said this belief was based partly on the evidence found Friday, but would not elaborate further.

Authorities reclassified the case as an abduction on Friday.

http://www.coloradoan.com/usatoday/article/3875803

Officials continue to investigate a possible link to Michael J. Klunder, who police say abducted two girls from Dayton on May 20 and killed one, 15-year-old Kathlynn Shepard, before killing himself.

Officials have not found any evidence linking Klunder to the Evansdale case, but they haven't ruled him out either, Meyers said.

"We're still leaving it on the table at this point," Meyers said. "We don't have substantial facts to articulate either way," that Klunder was or wasn't responsible.

Investigators are still waiting for some evidence to be analyzed at a specialized FBI crime lab, and Meyers said there is no timeline for when that analysis could be completed.

http://qctimes.com/promo/front/deco...cle_923086ce-d1f5-11e2-9935-0019bb2963f4.html

Decorated DCI special agent suspended

Special Agent in Charge Larry Hedlund, a 25-year department veteran, has been on paid administrative leave since May 1, Department of Public Safety spokesman Rob Hansen told The Associated Press.

Hansen said other special agents have handled Hedlund's responsibilities during the suspension, and he downplayed the impact on the missing cousins case, which is currently very active. Since late May, investigators have been looking for any tie in the case to Michael Klunder, a registered sex offender who committed suicide last month after police said he kidnapped two girls in central Iowa. One of the girls escaped but the older girl, 15-year-old Kathlynn Shepard, was found dead over the weekend.

"There are a number of extremely talented investigators within the DCI. We're doing all we can" to follow leads in the death of the cousins, 10-year-old Lyric Cook and 8-year-old Elizabeth Collins, Hansen said

http://www.kcci.com/news/central-io...18107780/-/vklortz/-/index.html#ixzz2Lsen3asD

State crime lab tech fired over errors
Scope of problem still unknown

Read more: http://www.kcci.com/news/central-io...18107780/-/vklortz/-/index.html#ixzz2mnSgTSTK

http://www.cbsnews.com/pictures/fbis-top-10-most-wanted-fugitives/

FBI's Top 10 Most Wanted Fugitives
The program was founded on March 14, 1950, when a reporter asked late FBI Director J. Edgar Hoover for the names and descriptions of the "toughest guys" the Bureau would like to capture. The resulting article generated so much publicity and had so much appeal that Hoover implemented the top ten program.

Since its inception, 497 fugitives have been on the top ten list. Among those listed, the FBI says that 466 have been apprehended or located, including 154 fugitives who were captured or located as a result of citizen cooperation.

The current top ten list is maintained on the FBI website and relies on the assistance of citizens and the media..

However, I disagree that is offensive for others to express their differing opinion that the investigation may have been botched due to the many investigative errors and faulty assumptions by investigators in the initial stages......

If I may, the opinion that CHERI.T expressed that SS objected to was not that they had botched the investigation, but rather the "black and white" term that they have nothing, or an arrest would have been made. I agree with SaphireSteele that it just isn't that simple. We just need to have patience. Everyone is skeptical of those in charge in virtually every government agency anymore. I have to believe that those working on the case have the desire and knowledge to bring justice to the girls. I choose to put my trust in them. I really don't have a choice. Unless I do my own investigating and my own DNA testing, I have to just trust them to do their jobs. I could throw up my hands in frustration - as many in the area have - but that's just not something i do, and that doesn't help me to deal with the situation.

Thank you, Foxfire for the post. It really shows the twists and turns of the case. But I think our rollercoaster ride is far from over.

I also want to thank KWWL for their video of the hunters. It certainly has given us a lot to chew on.

Honestly, I'm surprised how many of you do not think Klunder is responsible. jmo.

O/T, but Drew reactivated his Facebook account. Actually, Heather did the same thing for a few days. I think the positive support that they get far outweighs the negative. JMO, though.

Cedar Valley Mugshots seems to reincarnated itself. It is currently Mugshots of the Cedar Valley.

Thanks Dr. Know? for the info on JJB. I think he may be a key to the whole case, even if just for information he can provide.

Sorry new to this. Any of the family/friends park ranger or hunter? Does the location have a park ranger?

Not sure I like taptalk.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

The park is somewhat abandoned, so no park ranger.

Tapatalk takes some getting used to. But it's way better than trying to look at the full site on your phone or tablet.

Honestly, I'm surprised how many of you do not think Klunder is responsible. jmo.

I'm completely open to Klunder being the prep. I haven't really heard of anything that clears him.

Its a totally different crime Imo

Remember another little girl was taken in Colo the same week as Jessica - had to be the same prep too. ..except it wasn't.

Say they found DNA @ the 7 Bridges discovery - if there is no DNA record on file to match it with, LE does not know who it belongs to.

The National DNA Index System
Q: What is the National DNA Index System or NDIS?
A: NDIS is the acronym for the “National DNA Index System” and is one part of CODIS—the national level—containing the DNA profiles contributed by federal, state, and local participating forensic laboratories. NDIS was implemented in October 1998. All 50 states, the District of Columbia, the federal government, the U.S. Army Criminal Investigation Laboratory, and Puerto Rico participate in NDIS.
The DNA Identification Act of 1994 (42 U.S.C. §14132) authorized the establishment of this National DNA Index. The DNA Act specifies the categories of data that may be maintained in NDIS (convicted offenders, arrestees, legal, detainees, forensic (casework), unidentified human remains, missing persons and relatives of missing persons) as well as requirements for participating laboratories relating to quality assurance, privacy and expungement.

Once a suspect has been identified, investigators seek to legally obtain a DNA sample from the suspect. This suspect DNA profile is then compared to the sample found at the crime scene, in accordance with well established and constitutionally accepted practices, to definitively identify the suspect as the source of the crime scene DNA

FBI agents cannot legally store DNA of a person who was not convicted of a crime. DNA collected from a suspect who was not later convicted must be disposed of and not entered into the database.

http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/lab/biometric-analysis/codis/codis-and-ndis-fact-sheet

Today, the gold standard is DNA evidence because DNA can be collected from virtually anywhere. Even a criminal wearing gloves may unwittingly leave behind trace amounts of biological material. It could be a hair, saliva, blood, semen, skin, sweat, mucus or earwax. All it takes is a few cells to obtain enough DNA information to identify a suspect with near certainty.

"Officials have not found any evidence linking Klunder to the Evansdale case,"

http://www.press-citizen.com/articl...le-cousins-case-isn-t-cold-authorities-insist

RE: "Officials have not found any evidence linking Klunder to the Evansdale case,"but they haven’t ruled him out either, Meyers said.

“We’re still leaving it on the table at this point,” Meyers said. “We don’t have substantial facts to articulate either way,” that Klunder was or wasn’t responsible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TexasCuriousMynd