Found Deceased IA - Elizabeth Collins, 8, & Lyric Cook, 10, Evansdale, 13 July 2012 - #37

Discussion in 'Cold Cases' started by bessie, Jun 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 24Roses

24Roses Well-Known Member

I know of one person who searched over the weekend but not on that Friday. I remember there being a short story about it on the 5:00 and 6:00 p.m. news but nothing real extensive until later that night and no requests for people to help search until at least Saturday. We don't have weekend noon news in this area so if anything was mentioned it would have been on the evening news or online.

2. Bootsctr

Bootsctr Well-Known Member

The bicyclist?

3. 24Roses

24Roses Well-Known Member

No a woman I used to work with who lives in a small town a couple counties away from Evansdale. She doesn't know the family, but just wanted to help.

4. carbuff

carbuff Well-Known Member

I dunno. People might attribute it to the wrong thing.

The person might even try to commit suicide and still not have their close relatives admit what was going on. Ascribe it to drugs, or even normal grief.

5. Bootsctr

:bump: for discussion of possible suspect

6. Considering

Considering Well-Known Member

Here's a link for #5:

http://wcfcourier.com/news/evansdal...cle_647e7e0c-6ea1-5f71-80e8-8b56a9700c47.html

7. dotr

dotr Well-Known Member

Maybe the perp does not care at all - maybe he has already brushed off any pangs of guilt he may have had?
    He might be getting an enormous kick out of " outsmarting everyone", and feel proud that he had the power to turn a community upside down? Maybe he is very pleased with the lovely park, developed in the girls'honour?
    Maybe he spends time there?
    speculation.

8. Grainne Dhu

Grainne Dhu Active Member

My impression, from what Rich Kelly said, was that this individual is not someone who has a high level of social skills. He couldn't, for instance, groom victims over a long period of time (months), probably because he doesn't inspire parents and other people in authority as being trustworthy.

Rich Kelly also suggested that there was probably a trigger event, such as being laid off or fired. If so, then the perp had a built in excuse for feeling bad. Who wouldn't feel bad if laid off or fired?

9. gregjrichards

gregjrichards Well-Known Member

It's chilling to think of the girls killer spending time in their memorial park.

10. Marilynilpa

Marilynilpa Well-Known Member

Bumping the girls to page 1.

11. Dr. Know?

Dr. Know? Former Member

Just saw this on twitter and thought, well, maybe whoever this body belongs to might bring out whoever did this to the girls. I'm set on two different people & plots though. One I turned into Smock. I wonder if it was passed on?

Ron Steele KWWL ‏@ronsteelekwwl 34m34 minutes ago
    Bones found in an alley behind a Waterloo home. Unknown if human or other. Waterloo has 15 unsolved cases of missing persons. @kwwl

https://twitter.com/ronsteelekwwl/with_replies

Jessica Hartman KWWL ‏@JessicaKWWL 49m49 minutes ago
    Waterloo police investigating bones found behind home on Conger St. Unclear if they are human at this time. @KWWL

oh wow

A witness told KWWL he found what he believed to be human bones, possibly those of a child. Police confirmed they were bones, but were not sure if they are human remains. A physician is also on the scene.

http://cedarrapidsnewschannel.com/i...loo&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Eta, that's 7 miles or 12 minutes from Meyer Lake.

12. Dr. Know?

Dr. Know? Former Member

13. BelieveinUFO

BelieveinUFO Well-Known Member

when this case came up in 2013, i did fb snooping and found a person who should have been investigated. i can't simply pass in this info because of what i think without proof. But i have snap shots of that fb profile along with comments.

Now that this case has turned cold, i need information on where to send these and who will investigate it properly.

14. pearl

pearl Well-Known Member

putting the girls back on page 1

15. Bootsctr

From Considering's link:

"Anyone with information is asked to call the Tip Line at 232-6682 or Cedar Valley Crime Stoppers at (855) 300-8477 or email at ourmissingiowagirls@dps.state.ia.us"

http://wcfcourier.com/news/evansdal...cle_647e7e0c-6ea1-5f71-80e8-8b56a9700c47.html

16. Bootsctr

"Statistically, only 15 dual abductions have been documented since the FBI started compiling offender data in the 1970s."

"Since 1974, the number of times that an offender abducted two girls at the same time and took them for whatever his purposes were was 15," Smock said. "So, since 1974, in 40 years, there were only 15 times in the whole country where this happened. One of these individuals was Michael Klunder, because he took the two girls from Charles City some-20 years ago."

"Detectives with the Iowa Division of Criminal Investigations have expanded their canvas of sex offenders beyond Black Hawk County, he said."

Also from Considering's link: http://wcfcourier.com/news/evansdal...cle_647e7e0c-6ea1-5f71-80e8-8b56a9700c47.html

17. watcher9

watcher9 Well-Known Member

I read this as if they were counting the 15 as the number of times, not offenders.
    I wonder if they counted Klunder twice?
    Do we have a list of the offenders?
    How many of the offenders were caught right after the dual abductions?
    If they were not, did they continue or change their pattern going forward?
    Are any of them still alive?

18. Bootsctr

Excellent questions. I think they would have to count Klunder twice if they are counting the number of times a dual abduction occurred which, unless they included Klunder's abduction of Kathlynn and Dee, would now be 16 times. I bet we could come up with a list somewhere. What were the two sisters, I believe, that were abducted back in the 70s and the suspects were just recently arrested? If we are using Klunder as an example, I don't think he changed his pattern at all.

Oh, does the #15 include Elizabeth and Lyric? If not, then we are up to 17. He cited the FBI as his source (and that is only from the 1970s), so maybe we can access some of that information from their website....

19. carbuff

carbuff Well-Known Member

And there are quite a number of missing people, mostly girls but some boys, who went missing together and might or might not have been abducted. Pretty sure they aren't counting them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. watcher9

watcher9 Well-Known Member

That would have been the Lyon sisters. The perp(s) may have been from the Welch family. No record of past offenses or trial yet.
    http://www.websleuths.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?97-Sheila-and-Katherine-Lyon

Another case with boys, Westley Allen Dodd had history (wiki), took/killed two brothers, multiple singles before/after.executed 1993.
    http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...ictims)-Seattle-1980-s&highlight=westley+dodd

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.