IA IA - Elizabeth Collins, 8, & Lyric Cook, 10, found deceased, Evansdale, 13 Jul 2012 #38

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reviewing the beginning again..
Jul 17, 2012
''Nancy Grace speaks to the mom and grandmother of two missing cousins about their disappearance and the ongoing search.''

If only life like the tape, could be played in reverse.. cctv at link.
Missing Iowa Cousins: Surveillance Video of Elizabeth Collins and Lyric Cook Discovered
''Although the girls only look like a blur as they cross the frame on their bicycles in the video, and the footage of the two girls lasts only seconds, investigators say they now are analyzing it for any clues that could lead to information about the girls whose bicycles were later recovered on a trail by nearby Meyers Lake in Evansdale, Iowa.

"It looked kind of grainy, I mean just zoom they were by the thing and so it's very hard to really make much out of the thing," Black Hawk County Chief Deputy Rick Abben said. "The girls were less than a block from the house when this camera captured them riding by, important to note they were riding away from Meyers Lake."

Does anyone think that the Dayton, Iowa case where two girls were abducted less than a year after this abduction is related in any way? I know that the person responsible for that took his own life after but could he have any connection to these girls or has that been ruled out at this point? I just found it odd that there would be two different people kidnapping young girls in pairs so close together.

Does anyone think that the Dayton, Iowa case where two girls were abducted less than a year after this abduction is related in any way? I know that the person responsible for that took his own life after but could he have any connection to these girls or has that been ruled out at this point? I just found it odd that there would be two different people kidnapping young girls in pairs so close together.

Michael Klunder was ruled out.

Police: Klunder didn't kidnap Evansdale cousins

I still wonder how they excluded him. *skeptical*

I wonder about that too it seems like he would be the perfect suspect. What would be the chances there would be two people working basically the same area with the same MO? Maybe they have some DNA evidence they are not making public but I don't know. I do know that there was another man arrested after that he was trying to get little girls in his car by offering them a hundred dollars to help him with a job. He has been named as a possible suspect but I don't think he fits the MO he approached at least 19 girls across the state but when they declined his offer he drove off.

I wonder about that too it seems like he would be the perfect suspect. What would be the chances there would be two people working basically the same area with the same MO? Maybe they have some DNA evidence they are not making public but I don't know. I do know that there was another man arrested after that he was trying to get little girls in his car by offering them a hundred dollars to help him with a job. He has been named as a possible suspect but I don't think he fits the MO he approached at least 19 girls across the state but when they declined his offer he drove off.

<modsnip>

I think if you approach this as, "there is a killer with a preference in his MO for pairs of girls" then yes, three offenders in the same area all trying to lure pairs seems like it's too coincidental. In reality, this type of offender is usually quite opportunistic in terms of victim selection. Their main priority is finding a victim that they can easily abduct and physical characteristics are less important. They may be looking for a child around age 10, for example, but if they see the perfect opportunity (no adult supervision, willing to approach a car, no witnesses to the getaway) to grab two girls age 5, they'll do that instead.

Last edited by a moderator:
I still wonder how they excluded him. *skeptical*

The article I posted says how they excluded him. They looked at several different ways of determining his location and found out that he could not have been in Evansdale on the day in question (they believe based on the information they analyzed that he was about 1.5 hours away). It also says they ran other types of tests but would not elaborate.

LE do not usually announce that someone is ruled out like this so I'm guessing that the evidence they have was quite strong and they probably had multiple separate proofs that he was not in Evansdale during the time of the kidnapping.

The article I posted says how they excluded him. They looked at several different ways of determining his location and found out that he could not have been in Evansdale on the day in question (they believe based on the information they analyzed that he was about 1.5 hours away). It also says they ran other types of tests but would not elaborate.

LE do not usually announce that someone is ruled out like this so I'm guessing that the evidence they have was quite strong and they probably had multiple separate proofs that he was not in Evansdale during the time of the kidnapping.
Since we don't know the determining factors in their rule out, we have to go on faith here. However, being "1.5 hours away" is close enough for another look....out of an abundance of thoroughness. JMO. I'd like to know if he had ties to Delphi as well....

Amateur opinion and speculation

Since we don't know the determining factors in their rule out, we have to go on faith here. However, being "1.5 hours away" is close enough for another look....out of an abundance of thoroughness. JMO. I'd like to know if he had ties to Delphi as well....

Amateur opinion and speculation

The article seems to indicate there was proof he stayed 1.5 hours away when the crime would have had to be taking place, if that makes sense.

That there was proof he was physically distant, that is to say.

Edited to say: he killed himself in 2013 so definitely not involved with Delphi.

It’s been over 8 years now since these girls have went missing and quickly approaching the anniversary of when they were found at 7-bridges.

Here are a few things I’ve found with this case that raise some serious questions about the confirmed times that we know to be facts surrounding TG (the guy who found the bikes).

• the girls were last seen by a security camera around 12:20ish at the bank located 1 building to the north of Fareway on Evans road heading towards the direction of Meyers Lake

• he made a phone call to his daughter at 12:27 saying “he had to swerve to miss the bikes” and found that strange as there were no signs of children. He also mentioned there was supposedly two men fishing in a paddle boat on the lake (whom have still to this day never been identified).
~This phone call to the daughter only came to light after his daughter provided that information to the Waterloo Courier later that day after a search party had already been looking for them. My question is why he didn’t provide that info after he heard there were two girls missing.

• the time stamps on these surveillance videos, to me, doesn’t add up with the time of the phone call he made to his daughters. Those girls would’ve had to of been hauling *advertiser censored* to get by the lake in that short period of time. Not only that within those 7 minutes I find it hard to believe that he didn’t see someone putting them there etc.

• TG lived less than a mile from the bike trail and despite the fact that he had a back surgery not to long prior to all of this, he for some reason loaded his bike into the back of his white pickup with a topper on it to get to the bike trail (which could ultimately jeopardize his recovering as he shouldn’t lift even a bicycle)

• after the surveillance videos surfaced he lawyered up and hasn’t said *advertiser censored* since.

•not to long after all of this happened, one of his out building on his property randomly burned to the ground as well.
——
On a side note, I ran across a YouTube video posted July 9, 2012 from the skatepark in evansdale by Isiah Allen. This is literally on the side of the bike trail. From the info I’ve gathered he frequently went there with his friends. This kid is now an adult, why have they not talked to him to see if he actually saw anything that day.

Is this the only thread regarding the girls? Sorry I’m new to this...it’s been 8 years; Elizabeth would have turned 17 on July 31st this year. Still no arrest
Other than the no discussion media and timeline thread, this is the only open thread regarding the girls. There's also all the closed threads that you can still read.
And Welcome to Websleuths!

A few days prior to the abductions, Lyric had spent time with an older cousin. Was one of the Stechmans that older cousin?

She was with their Aunt Tammy’s daughter (whom is heather and mistys sister), I do know that.

also I find it rather odd that a weekish prior to them disappearing, Lyric was apparently almost abducted according to misty and dan when they called law enforcement to report her missing. Turns out she was with her cousin (Tammy’s daughter) that time too. My point is, who just jumps the gun and thinks their child has been abducted without first calling family and friends. Who just assumes that right away and calls the cops...unless perhaps there had been threats made to either of the parents of that nature.

She was with their Aunt Tammy’s daughter (whom is heather and mistys sister), I do know that.

also I find it rather odd that a weekish prior to them disappearing, Lyric was apparently almost abducted according to misty and dan when they called law enforcement to report her missing. Turns out she was with her cousin (Tammy’s daughter) that time too. My point is, who just jumps the gun and thinks their child has been abducted without first calling family and friends. Who just assumes that right away and calls the cops...unless perhaps there had been threats made to either of the parents of that nature.

I've heard the claim about the prior near abduction made on a Websleuths thread before but the poster in that case never answered where they learned this information. Do you have a link to it? Hopefully from mainstream media? Because if it's true it makes a huge difference for the victimology in this case on multiple levels.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aishavn