Found Deceased IA - Elizabeth Collins, 8, & Lyric Cook, 10, Evansdale, 13 July 2012 #38

Discussion in 'Cold Cases' started by Greater Than, May 13, 2017.

1. Wondergirl

Wondergirl Well-Known Member

That's a good question.

DNs obsession with people on bikes and trails, not to mention the woods, makes me suspicious of him.

Some pigs turned up slaughtered on a farm he was working for after he had an argument. He worked for a lot of different farmers, and has an interest in carpentry. Still searching for any links to Iowa.

2. Marilynilpa

Marilynilpa Well-Known Member

Bumping the girls up to page 1. I wish we had something new to discuss.

3. Marilynilpa

Marilynilpa Well-Known Member

BTW, I don't feel DN is connected to this case in any way. JMO

4. ezrah

ezrah Member

Sadly, I think the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Bootsctr

Bootsctr Well-Known Member

Seven Bridges is the key to solving Lizzy and Lyric's murders. I don't think DN would have knowledge of Seven Bridges unless he was local.

Reading some older articles, I came across this statement from Dan regarding Klunder:

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/st...-michael-klunder-ruled-out-evansdale/9104893/

"And it was so far of a distance away" to me reinforces that Dan believes the perp is local too. Or was local.

6. Bootsctr

Sorry. That should be Drew NOT Dan in the above post!

7. Ommmm

Ommmm Well-Known Member

This stretch of Hwy 20 was under construction at the time, but I don’t remember if if was completely closed, or if traffic was still passing through. I remember discussing the road construction workers that were living (camping) at nearby Deerwood Park with my Mom, when we found out the girls had gone missing.

B4igo2it likes this.
  8. Wondergirl

Wondergirl Well-Known Member

From my recollection, the traffic was still going through. Thank-you for sharing the info about where the construction workers were camping. I did not know this.

Do any of the locals remember the name of the construction company assigned to work on the highway at that time? It has always been an angle I was interested in.

WG

9. carbuff

carbuff Well-Known Member

The thing about construction crews, contract and temporary workers, seasonal workers, sales and service crews that travel a regular or semiregular circuit, delivery drivers, and a wide range of other people with similarly flexible lifestyles is that they very quickly become familiar with the local area--sometimes more familiar than the locals, who tend to stick with their routine and not go very far outside of it. And they tend to exchange information among themselves -- what's a good place to eat, stay, go for a walk, or whatever. Where can I camp that the cops won't hassle me? Is this or that route a good shortcut to where I'm going?

And that doesn't even count the people who might have grown up there or lived there for a time and moved on.

I'm not saying Drew is wrong. But the pool of "local" is always way bigger than most actual permanent locals think it is.

always reading likes this.
  10. Copper

Copper Well-Known Member

If I remember correctly, there was two-way traffic on the westbound lanes while the eastbound lanes were being worked on.

B4igo2it likes this.
  11. thepinkdragon

thepinkdragon Verified US Army Veteran/Certified Veteran's Menta

I am so sad to see this case is still unsolved. :(

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

12. kkdj

kkdj Well-Known Member

I am too. I'm hoping this case will get resolved with the Delphi teens murders as there are certainly similarities. But I'm not convinced they have evidence in linking them being done by the same perp.

13. Bootsctr

I recently came across an old article that revealed Klunder's original target was not Kathlynn Shepard, but her younger sister who was only 12 at the time. Kathlynn was 15 at the time she was murdered by Klunder. Also, the second victim was only 12 (DH) at the time.

Killer approached Kathlynn Shepard's sister first, mom says

https://www.desmoinesregister.com/s...hlynn-shepards-sister-first-mom-says/4799625/

I don't know who was the original target in Elizabeth and Lyric's case. Sometimes I think it was Lyric because of the incident a week prior where Lyric and her older cousin went missing in Waterloo. IIRC, Wanda, Misty, and Dan almost called the law to find the girls when they did return. Someone could have been watching Lyric and followed Wanda, Misty and Lyric to Evansdale that fateful day on Friday, July the 13th.

On the other hand, Elizabeth had lots of friends and frequently rode her bicycle to visit. She might have caught the attention of the killer as she rode her bicycle and the perp was just lucky in snagging both girls that day.

I do wish they could catch this person. Maybe he is already in prison. Maybe he moved from the area.

After watching a recent episode of "Criminal Confessions" I think the killer could have come from Readlyn, Dunkerton, or Cedar Valley. Maybe someone from these towns were working as part of the highway crew? I think the killer always knew if and when he ever abducted someone that Seven Bridges would be the dumping site. I know locals have told us Seven Bridges was the previous dumping site of a murder victim, so it makes sense others would consider the place a good dumping ground not only for bodies, but weapons too.

Anissa "Peanut" Schroeder, 18, and Ronald "Junior" Scullark, 28, were murdered in broad daylight in November 2007. "Martaves Keys, who was known to officers as a confidential informant, was the lead suspect. Keys confessed and was later found guilty."

http://wcfcourier.com/news/local/ho...cle_0ffcf72a-8c88-59c6-834b-27c7e711cb53.html

http://www.kwwl.com/story/36549472/...ions-spotlights-waterloo-murder-investigation

14. kat913

kat913 Well-Known Member

Anybody able to shed any light on construction company names, road crews etc. at that time? Anyway to tap into that information somehow?

15. B4igo2it

B4igo2it Well-Known Member

A tragic act, leaving thousands of victims. It's unfathomable that something like this could happen in every day USA. And one day, the murderer will be hunted down ... as he did with Lyric and Elizabeth. And at that time, we will be at peace. My condolences to their parents; this is heartbreaking.
    Thank you for sharing this well-written publication. It is good to see you again Squeeze.

16. ezrah

ezrah Member

JMOO Noteworthy from the article linked above.
    “When asked about Jeff Lee Altmayer, an Ankeny man who is in jail on suspicion of enticing children with the intent to commit sex abuse, Roehrkasse said, “Most I’ll say about him is he’s a lead. ... He’s somebody we’re definitely keeping an eye on.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. Considering

Considering Well-Known Member

18. SouthernMom

SouthernMom Well-Known Member

So sad to see that there is no arrest in this case yet.

19. gregjrichards

gregjrichards Well-Known Member

I know the situation is pretty bleak with no light at the end of the tunnel it seems.

20. margarita25

margarita25 Everything is JMO

5 years. Unsolved. :(

Lizzie and Lyric
    :rose: :rose:

Who killed these girls?