IA - Girl, 15, accidentally shot herself at gun club during target practice, Lee County, 24 Mar 2019

Discussion in 'Up to the Minute' started by cybervampira, Mar 25, 2019.

1. cybervampira

cybervampira Well-Known Member

Girl, 15, accidentally shoots and kills herself at Iowa gun club | Daily Mail Online

A 15-year-old girl from Iowa has died after she accidentally shot herself at a gun club on an outing with her father, officials said.

upload_2019-3-26_3-23-22.jpeg upload_2019-3-26_3-25-14.jpeg upload_2019-3-26_3-24-56.jpeg

According to the Lee County Sheriff's Office, deputies and medics were called around 10.40am on Sunday to the Tri-State Gun Club outside Montrose, a community about 80 miles south of Iowa City.

The emergency crews found Haley Elizabeth McManus suffering from a single gunshot wound.

The girl was taken to Fort Madison Community Hospital and was later transferred to the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinic where she succumbed to her injuries.

Sheriff Stacy Weber said on Monday that Haley was accompanied by her father and that both were target shooting.

Authorities say SE Iowa teen accidentally shot herself at gun club

Iowa teen accidentally shoots herself to death, sheriff says

Elisaa444, Laughing, Jim_M and 2 others like this.
  2. kay74

kay74 Well-Known Member

I hate guns. What a tragic outcome and with her father no less.

3. borndem

borndem Anglophile & registered demwit

Same here about guns.

Her poor dad -- he couldn't have been too far away -- right there with her and no real way to help her.
    What a beautiful, doe-eyed young girl. My heart aches.

Dre, Elisaa444, sweetcaro and 5 others like this.
  4. Herat

Herat Well-Known Member

My experiences at a gun range showed me how very very dangerous these are and how easy it is to make a serious if not fatal mistake if you aren't paying attention every single second you are around a weapon and ammunition.

I took a concealed carry class and it was very sobering. I was glad I had 8 hours of honest instruction and discussion, rather than have a friend show me how to shoot.

I'm just so sorry to hear about this tragedy.

Dre, Elisaa444, scmom and 9 others like this.
  5. Piney Woods

Piney Woods Well-Known Member

Tragic. As a 40+ year gun user/owner I can only point to the well established Gun Safety Rules.

Safety rule #1: Always keep the gun pointed in a safe direction.

Dre, Elisaa444, scmom and 8 others like this.
  6. Jim_M

Jim_M Well-Known Member

"Fort Madison High School Principal Greg Smith said the incident was not related to any school function of the trap shooting team.

“It’s our understanding, that this was kind of a regular thing for her and her dad to go out to the range,” Smith said Monday morning."

Local teen dies in Sunday shooting accident > PenCityCurrent.com

Horrifying accident.
    It appears she knew her way around guns. Just one slip..... RIP forever 15 HEM.

Laughing, Herat, SugarQueen and 2 others like this.
  7. IntoTheWind

IntoTheWind Active Member

It's so easy to make a mistake, especially while you're learning(I read they went often though). The first thing on your mind isn't to remember that you need to act like it's loaded & never point it at anyone. Your mind & body just does what it does naturally. And before you know it, you find yourself doing something unsafe. Then you remind yourself it's unsafe. I learned this when using a BB gun, as silly as that sounds. I have no interest in shooting a real gun anymore. It's just too easy to accidentally move your hand in a motion that is not safe. All it takes is one motion, one time.

RIP beautiful young lady.

kareylou, borndem, Laughing and 5 others like this.
  8. borndem

borndem Anglophile & registered demwit

Good post, IntoTheWind, and

Welcome to Websleuths,
    IntoTheWind !!