IA - HUGE weather system moving through

peeples

Reaction score
"It does have the potential, especially Sunday afternoon in eastern Iowa, to be one of the bigger tornado days that people remember," meteorologist Karl Jungbluth said.

The weather service issued an advisory at 5 a.m. Friday, noting "strong and potentially long-tracked tornadoes, very large hail and damaging winds are all possible." When the stronger system rolls through Sunday, supercells that form could "race northeast at 60 mph."

http://wcfcourier.com/news/local/article_16841b68-61e9-11e0-9502-001cc4c03286.html

Lovely!!!!!!
Be safe my fellow Iowa peeps (including our eagle family)!!!!

Ooof. My inlaws are set to come back from wintering in Texas on Sat or Sun. Looks like they have some fun to return to.

Prays for all of you in the path of the storm!!!

AAAHH! I'm in Eastern Iowa, but I'm about an hour and a half drive from the counties they listed so maybe we'll just get thunderstorms here instead of a tornado? Just moved here in August, so don't really know how these things work...

Hang on to your hats, friends in Iowa! Sending up a prayer for everyone-- including our Eagle family!

AAAHH! I'm in Eastern Iowa, but I'm about an hour and a half drive from the counties they listed so maybe we'll just get thunderstorms here instead of a tornado? Just moved here in August, so don't really know how these things work...

If it even gets you you'll be on the edge being that far south. Maybe some rain and wind :)
The 2 big towns you're in and next to, seem to follow a different weather pattern than we do up here :) You guys usually seem to get the stuff out of MO and down, there we get hit with canada and the dakotas LOL

Peeples and all of you guys in that area, please stay safe!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I hope you have a basement, but if not go ahead and plan which room you would go to. I live in Georgia, and we get a lot of tornado's too.... all of you are in our prayers!!!

This is a good resource to keep an eye on for severe weather potential, just click on the maps for more details:

http://www.spc.noaa.gov/products/outlook/

Praying for everybody in the path of these storms. We have a risk of severe weather tomorrow night here in Indiana, as well. but not as high of a risk as Iowa and Wisconsin have today and tomorrow. Godspeed!

Thanks guys :)

We do have a basement! Our kids are ok about going to the basement.. it sometimes takes some prodding for the older ones. However back in 2008 a nearby town was decimated with an EF5 and it also went through the north end of our town before it dissipated.
I think driving through that town afterwards drove home how dangerous tornadoes are to the kids and us adults too... all you could see for miles was destruction...we saw a teddy bear speared on a barren tree it was horrible..
Seeing it in person instilled a fear no amt of news footage could do....
Pics of that tornado
http://www.kcci.com/slideshow/weather/16393589/detail.html

We'll stay safe

We're *finally* having what seems to be a nice day here in Wisconsin. Right now it's sunny, warm...and I'm dreading the coming storms tonight (and, reportedly, tomorrow night). Ugh. I hate the threat of tornadoes. They're also saying we could get some significant hail tonight (I have some new hail dings on my car from a storm last week, an am expecting more to add to the collection tonight).

I just got back from the park with my twins and my oldest is at a friends house playing in a sprinkler and it's a balmy 73 out right now.. sucks that nasty weather is coming :(

We had some pretty strong storms move through last night and are expecting more this weekend. Our emergency management services are on high alert and have been preparing for the worst. That gives me pause. If they are taking this system that seriously - I will be too.

The skies have clouded over and the wind is picking up

I know people are worried about the eagles.
decorah is located in Winneshiek County.
Here is a map of Iowa Counties, Decorah is labeled in the further upper right corner of Iowa 2nd one from the right :)

http://geology.com/county-map/iowa.shtml

Right now there is Torndao watches out for
Franklin and Hardin counties which are not very close to decorah :)

Monona and crawford counties are under Tornado warnings They are on the west side of the state. I do not get local weather for them, but my mother in law just called and told me as they live in crawford

The Weather Channel and weather.com

Reports of serious structural damage in the town of Mapleton, IA (Population: Approximately 1,416) in western Iowa from what may have been a 3/4 mile-wide tornado. Here is a snapshot of the Doppler velocity image from the NWS-Omaha Doppler radar. See the "couplet" with the yellow "tornado" symbol? That's the radar seeing the rotation.

Thanks guys :)

We do have a basement! Our kids are ok about going to the basement.. it sometimes takes some prodding for the older ones. However back in 2008 a nearby town was decimated with an EF5 and it also went through the north end of our town before it dissipated.
I think driving through that town afterwards drove home how dangerous tornadoes are to the kids and us adults too... all you could see for miles was destruction...we saw a teddy bear speared on a barren tree it was horrible..
Seeing it in person instilled a fear no amt of news footage could do....
Pics of that tornado
http://www.kcci.com/slideshow/weather/16393589/detail.html

We'll stay safe

Oh Peeples I'll keep you and your family in my thoughts tomorrow. If you have power please keep us posted as we'll be hoping to hear from you.

xox

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eleanor D.
Back