IA IA - Jodi Huisentruit, 27, Anchorwoman, Mason City, 27 June 1995 #2

Looks like the bones they found in the Iowa River are prehistoric:

Jawbone found in Iowa River belonged to prehistoric human

"The Office of the State Archaeologist determined the bone belonged to a prehistoric Native American of middle to older age. More research will be done to determine what tribe had a camp on the north side of the river."

[Oct 1, 2020 post:] I saw this vid [Jim Feldhouse's] years ago & still have zero idea what to make of it. Lots of conversation about Jodi & the perp, then a reference to remains with good dental work that he asked to be compared to Jodi’s dental records, followed by references to Newton, IA & Branson, MO, and final film footage of farmland with no narrative or subtitles. Interview seems to start & stop a lot- omissions?

Here’s what I could gather...

Although he never states a name, he does state that this suspect, that has never been cleared:
-passed a polygraph
-lived alone
-no wife
-drank only 16 oz cans Bud Light [BBM 11/30/22]
-Jodi didn’t like this guy, wouldn’t have let him stay all night, was afraid of him

Jodi collected cans for aluminum refund.
-she drank Löwenbräu beer
-her briefcase with notebooks/ address books were missing

Sounds like JV except for the “feared him“ part- where’d that come from? I’ve not heard any of Jodi’s friends or fam say she feared JV. IF he was referencing JV.

Not sure the toilet seat or beer cans are significant, but the missing notebooks sure could be.

Speculation...

ETA: JV was divorced when all this went down. Anyone ever hear who his ex-wife was or her experience with JV? Interviews? Statements? She’d be one of the first people I’d interview...
Drank only Bud Light Cans? Like the ones Steve Ridge was bringing JV in this 2019 pic?

Jon Vansice door mat.jpg

I finally got to watch the ABC "20/20" program on this. Season 44, Episode 13, "Gone At Dawn".

Bumping for Jodi. Her case was one of the first that consumed me, that I read about obsessively and searched for clues as much as I could. There are nights when I can’t sleep, and I walk out back and stare up at the sky — and frequently, I think of Jodi. It’s not right that someone could swoop in and take her from this world without leaving a trace. It’s not right that Jodi could just disappear, like someone simply plucked her from the apartment parking lot and took her into a black hole. I hope so much that her case can be solved some day. I never knew Jodi, but I care for her, I care that she is missing, I care that someone took her from us — and I care that her case will some day be solved. Bumping and hoping that we can find her soon and bring her killer justice. You’re not forgotten.

Bumping for Jodi. Her case was one of the first that consumed me, that I read about obsessively and searched for clues as much as I could. There are nights when I can’t sleep, and I walk out back and stare up at the sky — and frequently, I think of Jodi. It’s not right that someone could swoop in and take her from this world without leaving a trace. It’s not right that Jodi could just disappear, like someone simply plucked her from the apartment parking lot and took her into a black hole. I hope so much that her case can be solved some day. I never knew Jodi, but I care for her, I care that she is missing, I care that someone took her from us — and I care that her case will some day be solved. Bumping and hoping that we can find her soon and bring her killer justice. You’re not forgotten.
The police often say there are no perfect crimes-- this, and several other cases prove that
Theory wrong!! I hope some day we will have an answer and justice for Jodi!

Watching Up and Vanished- 2020 story about Jodi Huisentruit- After watching this program I am even more convinced that JV is the person who abducted her. Her co-worker says he called the station at about 7 am the morning she went missing, asking if Jodi was there- Yet LaDonna says he was on a walk with her at that time and so that could not have been JV. I believe the co-worker -she has no reason to lie, whereas LaDonna does not want to believe JV to be responsible. But what really got to me was that she went missing so close after JV threw a birthday party for her. I listened again to the investigator's comments( was he FBI?); JV made a video of that party and the investigator stated (and demonstrated) that when Jodi was dancing with other men- JV "had laser focus and an evil look on his face -watching her every second". What also got me was how large JV is- I don't think I realized what a big man he was- what also got me was the way JV just scooped her up really fast and held her in his arms---- It was just weird.

I think he was obsessed with Jodi- he even named his boat after her for goodness sakes. I think it got to be "if I can't have you- noone can"

That said, I really hated when a reporter went to JVs home to try and interview him in 2020: I wouldn't talk to any reporter who just came to my door either so I don't blame JV for not talking to this jerk. By now I believe it is said that JV may have dementia. If he did it, he will never tell and go to his grave with that secret. Unless someone comes forward with a tip or her body or something of hers is found, we will probably never know the real truth. This is just my opinion- I could be wrong of course----

Watching Up and Vanished- 2020 story about Jodi Huisentruit- After watching this program I am even more convinced that JV is the person who abducted her. Her co-worker says he called the station at about 7 am the morning she went missing, asking if Jodi was there- Yet LaDonna says he was on a walk with her at that time and so that could not have been JV. I believe the co-worker -she has no reason to lie, whereas LaDonna does not want to believe JV to be responsible. But what really got to me was that she went missing so close after JV threw a birthday party for her. I listened again to the investigator's comments( was he FBI?); JV made a video of that party and the investigator stated (and demonstrated) that when Jodi was dancing with other men- JV "had laser focus and an evil look on his face -watching her every second". What also got me was how large JV is- I don't think I realized what a big man he was- what also got me was the way JV just scooped her up really fast and held her in his arms---- It was just weird.

I think he was obsessed with Jodi- he even named his boat after her for goodness sakes. I think it got to be "if I can't have you- noone can"

That said, I really hated when a reporter went to JVs home to try and interview him in 2020: I wouldn't talk to any reporter who just came to my door either so I don't blame JV for not talking to this jerk. By now I believe it is said that JV may have dementia. If he did it, he will never tell and go to his grave with that secret. Unless someone comes forward with a tip or her body or something of hers is found, we will probably never know the real truth. This is just my opinion- I could be wrong of course----
Pulling a "Mr Big" type con on a person not of full mind might not be ethical, or is it justifiable in a (likely) murder case?
Memories and pics of JH introduced, maybe even a JH lookalike and from there maybe comments like where oh where could she be now and so on..?
speculation, imo, fwiw, rbbm.

''Typically, a person with dementia is more able to recall things from many years ago than recent memories, so reminiscence draws on this strength''

''It is not unusual for a person with dementia to have a favourite story which they return to again and again. Quite often the story will relate to a time when the person felt particularly happy or proud. ''

''Sometimes the repeated story relates to a more painful memory or trauma. In this situation, the person may have some unresolved issues about the event and so is to some extent ‘stuck’ with that memory. It is still important to listen.''

Last edited:
I agree with this. He is the most likely suspect, the most likely to have a motive and seems to have gone the extra mile to set things up to make it look like he's innocent. Of course, what I've just typed is all hearsay. Whomever abducted Jodi was not looking to commit the perfect crime. If they were, there wouldn't have been multiple items of hers strewn around her car and the area near her car. This is a very sad case.

agr

I agree with this. He is the most likely suspect, the most likely to have a motive and seems to have gone the extra mile to set things up to make it look like he's innocent. Of course, what I've just typed is all hearsay. Whomever abducted Jodi was not looking to commit the perfect crime. If they were, there wouldn't have been multiple items of hers strewn around her car and the area near her car. This is a very sad case.

agr
I think he hoped for years she would eventually fall in love with him- they were friends and did lots of things together so I could understand why he might try and be patient hoping she would eventually love him- when he finally figured out this was not going to happen I think he just lost it- I don't believe it was planned which is why perhaps multiple items of hers were strewn around her car and the area near her car.

Last edited:
I think he hoped for years she would eventually fall in love with him- they were friends and did lots of things together so I could understand why he might try and be patient hoping she would eventually love him- when he finally figured out this was not going to happen I think he just lost it- I don't believe it was planned which is why perhaps multiple items of hers were strewn around her car and the area near her car.
Yes, I agree with that, based on the messiness of the crime scene. Still, whoever did it had the presence of mind to ensure that not one trace of evidence could be found beyond the scene and drag marks. Some forethought has to go into that...whether he was making it up as he went along or whether any aspects were planned ahead. I don't believe it was accidental....like he went there to see her, she said she wasn't interested and he snapped. I don't think that happened. A more likely scenario is that he made a pass at her the night before when she was there for the video, he felt jilted when she rebuffed him, he stewed on it all night and then waited in her parking lot for her. I think, by the time he got to her apartment complex, he knew he was going to rape her, at the very least...taking what she continued to deny him. But she put up a fight and screamed repeatedly in the parking lot, so he determined he had to get them both out of sight, where he could get in trouble, and quickly decided he had to kill her. And that's why there was no evidence beyond the drag marks. He went to commit a crime, when it became more than he bargained for, he switched gears, killed her and insured there was no body, no evidence and no DNA. Had she not created such a ruckus in the parking lot, I believe he would have gone back to clean it up, but was probably afraid of being seen. That's my theory, for what it's worth. I just wish they'd interview him again before it's all lost.

Interesting theory/theories; I agree completely that JH's evident abduction could have happened this way.

That being said, with 0 evidence pointing to anyone - the problem with focusing on one perp. exclusively is that it discounts the possibility that it could easily have been someone else. I.e., JH was not only beautiful & young - but she was also working in a high-profile job as a newscaster & was seen by many whom she certainly didn't even know. Going along with this - though she didn't live/work in a huge metropolitan area, I suspect she was probably well-known in the community. Even back in 1995, I don't believe it would have been too difficult for a perfect stranger/stalker to have found out where she lived & her schedule, etc.

Last edited:
Yes, I agree with that, based on the messiness of the crime scene. Still, whoever did it had the presence of mind to ensure that not one trace of evidence could be found beyond the scene and drag marks. Some forethought has to go into that...whether he was making it up as he went along or whether any aspects were planned ahead. I don't believe it was accidental....like he went there to see her, she said she wasn't interested and he snapped. I don't think that happened. A more likely scenario is that he made a pass at her the night before when she was there for the video, he felt jilted when she rebuffed him, he stewed on it all night and then waited in her parking lot for her. I think, by the time he got to her apartment complex, he knew he was going to rape her, at the very least...taking what she continued to deny him. But she put up a fight and screamed repeatedly in the parking lot, so he determined he had to get them both out of sight, where he could get in trouble, and quickly decided he had to kill her. And that's why there was no evidence beyond the drag marks. He went to commit a crime, when it became more than he bargained for, he switched gears, killed her and insured there was no body, no evidence and no DNA. Had she not created such a ruckus in the parking lot, I believe he would have gone back to clean it up, but was probably afraid of being seen. That's my theory, for what it's worth. I just wish they'd interview him again

You make a good argument for some planning going into this crime: I think the proximity of his being the last person to see her (when they spent part of an evening looking at video from the birthday party he threw for her) is also evidence against him-- but, I was also thinking, since they were obviously great friends, why would he have to abduct her? (this goes against my argument he did it but I am trying to be open minded)-- if he drove up to her apartment and said something like let me drive you to work or some other reason to lure her into his car, why would he have to abduct her? Unless she said no thanks and then he decided to act on his impulses and feelings. I think he is about 76 years old now, with dementia--- it seems like he has had no inclination to admit he was involved in her disappearance and I don't anticipate he ever will admit to it, if in fact he did abduct and murder her. I did read that he was cooperative with the police and passed a polygraph ( as I have said many times sociopaths pass this test every day of the week). He also gave the police his palm prints.

Interesting theory/theories; I agree completely that JH's evident abduction could have happened this way.

That being said, the problem with focusing on one perp. exclusively is that it discounts the possibility that it could easily have been someone else. I.e., JH was not only beautiful & young - but she was also working in a high-profile job as a newscaster & was seen by many whom she certainly didn't even know. Going along with this - though she didn't live/work in a huge metropolitan area, I suspect she was probably well-known in the community. Even back in 1995, I don't believe it would have been too difficult for a perfect stranger/stalker to have found out where she lived & her schedule, etc.
Absolutely: TV personalities attract all kinds of unwanted attention and are sometimes targets. It is certainly possible this is what occurred in this case, but IMO JV was in love with her and became obsessed with her to the point, that he is the most likely suspect IMO-- unrequited love. If you watch that video of the birthday party he threw for her and the FBI expert guy's comments, you can see how he laser-focused on her, to perhaps an unhealthy degree.

This case is definitely a mystery that I don't think will be solved unless somebody provides a tip to the police.

You make a good argument for some planning going into this crime: I think the proximity of his being the last person to see her (when they spent part of an evening looking at video from the birthday party he threw for her) is also evidence against him-- but, I was also thinking, since they were obviously great friends, why would he have to abduct her? (this goes against my argument he did it but I am trying to be open minded)-- if he drove up to her apartment and said something like let me drive you to work or some other reason to lure her into his car, why would he have to abduct her? Unless she said no thanks and then he decided to act on his impulses and feelings. I think he is about 76 years old now, with dementia--- it seems like he has had no inclination to admit he was involved in her disappearance and I don't anticipate he ever will admit to it, if in fact he did abduct and murder her. I did read that he was cooperative with the police and passed a polygraph ( as I have said many times sociopaths pass this test every day of the week). He also gave the police his palm prints.
I believe, at that point, JV had exercised all other options and efforts to win her over and abduction was the only option left. If he'd been in love with her for years, then surely he would have spent some time fantasizing about or imagining the relationship they would have. He probably held out hope longer than a person should, having made excuses for her, such as she's busy and distracted. But when it became clear that she was never going to reciprocate his feelings, he could not allow anyone else to have what he couldn't have. Sadly, I think you're right that this case will never be solved where he's concerned. But who knows. Maybe something will come out after his death. There's always room for hope.

JV appeared to be protective and proprietary of JH, that i imagine would also extends to her possessions.
Somehow i cannot imagine JH leaving those ''provocative'' items scattered for everyone to see and handle, he would want to keep them for himself, also, he would not have to be rough to grab Jodi, he could have simply tricked her to come over to his car.

LE has never stated that the items outside the car were staged, but it always struck me as a little contrived.
imo, complete speculation.
1676498044250.png

I agree that JV is about all we have so far. With his current mental state, he may not even remember it if he was involved. One of my thoughts on the abduction is that Jodi may put up a fight and the abductor may have had scratches and bruises. JV goes out for a walk later that morning and if he was wearing short sleeves there may have been no marks showing. Although using a rope or cord for a garrote may have allowed the person to avoid her hands and render her unconscious at the same time.

The garrote may also address my question about whether there may only be one person involved.

JV did have a boat which allows him to have a convenient method of disposing a body. But I still have my doubts it is him. There is also the possible stalker when she was jogging earlier in the year. If there was a stalker then that is a complete unknown.

FEB 19, 2023
A new reward is being offered for information in the nearly 30-year-old case of a missing Iowa television news anchor.

Sunday, licensed private investigator Steve Ridge offered $25,000 to anyone who can help find the remains of Jodi Huisentruit.

[...]

Ridge said he offered the reward as a private citizen but said the offer has the blessing of Huisentruit’s sister, JoAnn Nathe, Hubbard Broadcasting affiliate KAAL-TV reports.

“I speak with JoAnn on a regular basis, and we have decided the timing is right to seek information on where Jodi’s body was discarded,” Ridge said. “This reward does not require an arrest or conviction – but simply the recovery of Jodi’s remains.”

Ridge has been actively investigating the case for around three years after leaving his former media consulting firm, which provided on-air coaching for Huisentruit early in her career.

“I am now extremely confident that multiple people know what happened to Jodi. Eventually, someone may decide to talk,” Ridge said. “We hope to encourage that possibility.”

[...]

FEB 19, 2023
A new reward is being offered for information in the nearly 30-year-old case of a missing Iowa television news anchor.

Sunday, licensed private investigator Steve Ridge offered $25,000 to anyone who can help find the remains of Jodi Huisentruit.

[...]

Ridge said he offered the reward as a private citizen but said the offer has the blessing of Huisentruit’s sister, JoAnn Nathe, Hubbard Broadcasting affiliate KAAL-TV reports.

“I speak with JoAnn on a regular basis, and we have decided the timing is right to seek information on where Jodi’s body was discarded,” Ridge said. “This reward does not require an arrest or conviction – but simply the recovery of Jodi’s remains.”

Ridge has been actively investigating the case for around three years after leaving his former media consulting firm, which provided on-air coaching for Huisentruit early in her career.

“I am now extremely confident that multiple people know what happened to Jodi. Eventually, someone may decide to talk,” Ridge said. “We hope to encourage that possibility.”

[...]
That someone will find the remains of Jodi? I doubt it but I welcome the optimism and hope.

1676995512786.png
Feb 21 2023 rbbm
''A $25,000 reward is being offered for information that leads to the remains of missing Mason City, Iowa anchor Jodi Huisentrui''

''The reward is being offered by private investigator Steve Ridge, who has been investigating the case for three years. He said he is “extremely confident” multiple people know what happened to Husientruit and he hopes to encourage one of them to talk. Ridge says his offer does not require an arrest or conviction, just the information needed to find her.

In 2019, he told Cedar Rapids, Iowa station KGAN that he felt a bond with Huisentruit, because the both got their starts at Broadcast Park in Cedar Rapids. Ridge says his offer has the blessing of Huisentruit’s sister, JoAnn Nathe.''

''Ridge has asked that any information in the case be directed to the Mason City Police Department at 641-421-3636.''

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaryEllen77
Back