IA - JoEllen Browning, 65, found stabbed to death in home, Iowa City, April 2019 *ARREST*

Discussion in 'Crimes in the News' started by emaj61, Apr 12, 2019.

1. Razz

Razz Well-Known Member

I wonder why the original reporting said she'd been stabbed in the garage?

Being deceased in the MB with no apparent break in and the husband calling it in....certainly defines this as
    possible spousal homocide by the husband.

Had I been a neighbor, that would have made me feel much less apprehensive.

GarAndTeed and MeadowMuffin like this.

2. Blondie in Spokane

Blondie in Spokane Well-Known Member

I wonder what this guy was spending all this $$ on....

3. PommyMommy

PommyMommy #ShinelikeShanann

That's one of my biggest questions too. Sometimes I'm not sure I want to know. :mad: MOO

4. PommyMommy

NOV 22, 2019
    Trial date set for man accused of killing wife
    […]

The estate of JoEllen Browning is estimated to be worth more than $2 million in retirement accounts and other sources, according to court documents.

Last week Roy Browning stepped down as executor of the estate of his wife and his adult children were appointed in his place.

[…]

tmar, GarAndTeed, Razz and 2 others like this.
  5. GarAndTeed

GarAndTeed Well-Known Member

An overview of Leon Spies:
    <snip>
    IOWA CITY — Like most criminal defense lawyers, Leon Spies has been asked how he stomachs representing people charged with heinous crimes.

Even Spies’s parents wondered.

“Mom and Dad used to say ‘How can you defend these people?’,” Spies said. But when his father was on his deathbed, Spies asked why he had stopped asking the question. His father confessed a truth discerned over years of hearing about his son’s work: “I love the stories.”

Spies’s clients have included a meth-maker compared to Walter White from TV’s “Breaking Bad,” a motorcycle gang enforcer, a film aficionado, a slew of University of Iowa athletes and other prominent Iowans.

But Spies himself is a courtroom character with his steadfast calm, elegant handlebar mustache and reputation as one of Iowa’s most successful trial lawyers. <snip>
    Profile: Leon Spies handles tough cases over 40 years

6. PommyMommy

DEC 4, 2019
    Lawyers for Roy Browning Jr. call $5 mil. bond amount "clearly excessive"
    […]

In a new court filing Tuesday, defense lawyers argue the $5 million bond is excessive and unnecessary "given either the nature of the offense or the characteristics of the defendant."

The defense added that Roy Browning Jr. is not a flight risk and that they believe he is not a danger to the community.

[…]

7. PommyMommy

JAN 3, 2020
    Judge rules bond for accused murderer to remain at $5 million
    • Defense lawyers argued the bond was excessive and compared the bond amount to all other murder cases in Iowa throughout the past decade.
    • Prosecutors argued RB is a flight risk, citing internet searches for flights to San Juan, Puerto Rico.
    • RB's daughter testified that her parents took an annual trip to Puerto Rico and that it was common for them to search that destination.
    • Judge ruled the bail will remain at $5 million dollars.
    • Murder trial is scheduled for March 10, 2020.

8. PommyMommy

JAN 6, 2020
    Judge orders Roy Browning Jr.'s bail to stay at $5 million
    [...]

In an additional document filed by Spies on Jan.1, Browning's children "have maintained close daily contact" with him and don't think there's reason to believe he would flee.

His daughter, who lives in Des Moines, is not aware of "emotional or physical health issues" her father could have that could represent a risk of danger to either himself or the community, according to the document.

[...]

His son, who lives in Iowa City, occasionally stayed with his father at his home before his arrest, according to the document.

"Ms. Adrianse and MB continue to be supportive of [Roy Browning Jr.] and have assisted him with home maintenance, management of JoEllen Browning's estate, organization of household finances, and other family obligations," according to the document.

[...]

9. Razz

Razz Well-Known Member

The guy murdered their mother for heaven's sake!! And he was draining her money from her accounts!!

10. PommyMommy

Yeah, disconcerting, to say the least. o_O:oops: MOO

11. OhioBlues

OhioBlues Well-Known Member

I understand when children forgive the parent but it is hard to understand adult children forgiving a murder over money.