Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 #19

Discussion in 'Located Persons Discussion' started by cybervampira, Jul 20, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alethea

Alethea Verified Attorney

When I saw the thread was locked I hoped we had an arrest and everyone was celebrating by behaving badly. Sad to see it's more of the same and we still don't have Mollie.

Sconnie, Amonet, HayLouise and 23 others like this.

2. Kapua

Kapua Well-Known Member

We do not know that MT's run was 15 minutes long.

3. Stormy21

Stormy21 Well-Known Member

4. Kapua

Kapua Well-Known Member

We don't know if she planned to go to her mom's for dinner before she went home.

5. MsBetsy

MsBetsy Well-Known Member

At some point it was stated that her run lasted 15 minutes. Did that come from the cell phone data that LE retrieved or did that come from a reporter, does anyone remember? In one of the earlier articles it stated she was jogging from 7:30 to 7: 45. Or maybe it was 8:00? Does anybody know?

6. jawndough

jawndough Active Member

Interesting... I would have asked her to elaborate if I was asking the questions.

7. Jennifermn

Jennifermn Well-Known Member

If the eye witness on 2nd St. is correct that would have put MT 30 minutes into her run. Though that is the witness who changed the time from 9pm to 8pm, so who knows how accurate his recollection is.

8. borndem

borndem Anglophile & registered demwit

(duplicate post)

9. PaulR

PaulR Verified Software and Computer Tech

I think the only people who have a timeline with any level of confidence is the police and they aren't releasing it (yet.)

Amonet, renarde, libraryg and 16 others like this.
  10. BullBear77

BullBear77 Active Member

While the thread was locked, I was looking over the Google Maps that I believe Jennifer marked with locations and information (wonderful job btw, thank you for taking the time to do so) and my heart sunk when I realized there is a Truck Stop of America just off I-80 to the south of Brooklyn and a Pilot Travel Center to the southeast of Brooklyn and due north of WC's location off I-80 as well. At this point I imagine somebody else on WS has noticed this and mentioned it, if so I apologize.

HayLouise, Marmlet, libraryg and 13 others like this.
  11. Jennifermn

Jennifermn Well-Known Member

I noticed as well. :(

12. kay74

kay74 Well-Known Member

Her mother said her two red shirts were there, in her bedroom, so she would have to go there to get one of them for work the next day. If she jogged the mile there, I HOPE investigators interviewed every neighbor along that route.

turanna25 and cody22 like this.
  13. bcom32

bcom32 Member

I’m not buying hit/run scenario. Would have likely caused more physical evidence at point Mollie disappeared which would have been located by LE
    I must have overlooked, but where has it been reported her run lasted only 15mins? Has this been confirmed? One could come up with reasonable assumption of a search radius based on a good guess of her pace, but may not matter since LE reportedly already has the digital footprint.

PommyMommy and Kapua like this.
  14. MsBetsy

MsBetsy Well-Known Member

I just wish I knew where the source came from

15. CrimeReporter

CrimeReporter Well-Known Member

No, it wouldn't change my opinion. In every case that I know of, where a motorist hits a pedestrian and tries to get away with it, the motorist high-tails it out of there. Sticking around even a few seconds would increase your chances of getting caught. And in the heat of the moment, the perpetrator isn't taking into account the possible sentence associated with each option -- they're only thinking about getting away fast.

I had a particularly interesting case where the motorist fled after fatally striking a pedestrian. He later told police that he fled because he was drunk and afraid of getting in trouble. He even went so far as trying to get his truck crushed at a salvage yard -- that's what got him caught. Ironically, if he had stopped and tried to help the victim and called for help, he would have gotten a lighter sentence. Why? Because in our state, the max sentence for reckless homicide is less than the max sentence for failure to report a motor vehicle accident involving death or great bodily injury.

That perpetrator got caught because he did stupid things afterward, in an attempt to cover it up. If you stop and start trying to cover things up, you're probably increasing your chances of getting caught. Think of all the risks you'd be taking if you stop and pick up the body: another motorist passing by, getting DNA in your own vehicle, getting seen disposing of the body, leaving your own DNA at the scene, leaving your footprints at the crash scene, leaving evidence at the body-disposal scene, etc.

Bottom line, I highly doubt that a motorist accidentally hit her and then undertook a very risky, time-consuming, labor-intensive effort to hide the body, and that this effort was so smart/lucky that it has confounded a team of FBI investigators.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2018
    dms, therion20, feralwriter and 11 others like this.
  16. WhimsicalWillow

WhimsicalWillow All of my posts are MOO & accuracy not guaranteed

Wasn’t she moving to a new apartment?

Could she have come in contact with random people via internet virtual garage sale websites? They need to look at her internet and see if she sold anything or was planning to.

Craigslist, as we know, is one way for a random person to get your address and come by. They should also look at any previous sales via the web she may have made because someone could have bought something from her in the past and knew she’d be there alone.

Was she looking for roommates? Many college friends would post on Facebook groups that they were seeking a roommate.

What if she came in contact with a stranger via apartment hunting and TOLD them she’d be spending time alone at her BF’s house?

Sconnie, renarde, Breathe and 6 others like this.
  17. Kapua

Kapua Well-Known Member

With regard to this case he:

- Consented to a search of his house w/o a warrant
    - Surrendered his phone to LE overnight
    - Submitted to a polygraph exam (after initially balking)
    - Allowed LE and media to interview him several times

All I can say it that it seems to me that he’s been pretty cooperative, FWIW. None of HIS actions would lead me to draw a conclusion one way or the other. Now if we consider LE's actions:

1. Interviewed him at least 3 times
    2. Searched his house
    3. Searched his property
    4. Asked him to take a polygraph test

That might lead some people to draw a conclusion. But not me, because we still cannot place him in Brooklyn the night MT went missing.

18. Trino

Trino Well-Known Member

That's why it's called hit and run.

gitana1, minazoe, chihuahua and 4 others like this.
  19. BullBear77

BullBear77 Active Member

I feel better knowing I wasn't the only who thought/noticed this.

Jennifer, thank you for creating the map :) I believe that was you? Great looking dog on your profile photo too! Love German Shepherds! Incredibly loyal and intelligent dogs. It's comical how many people confuse my Belgian Malinois for one.

libraryg, d4j, Jazzy5980 and 4 others like this.
  20. borndem

borndem Anglophile & registered demwit

Yep, I went through the same thing here, but I asked about "bbm" and was told about the glossary. A wonderful thing it was!

I remember, when lingo first began appearing (several years before I joined WS) -- I saw "LOL" in an email to me, and thought it meant "Little Old Lady," and it kind of pizzed me off!

All we can do is LAL -- live and learn!

Amonet, Vedder, Breathe and 5 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.