Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 #23

Status
Not open for further replies.
A. LE told witness she made it home from her run.
B. Somewhere along her walk to her mother's house -- > 95%
A. My understanding is that this was speculative. Have you seen confirming information from either the media or LE?
B. Do you really think she went to her mother's house given what she was wearing and more importantly what was left behind?

Your comment just reminded me of something I read on MT's Twitter. She had posted a couple of snaps of her and DJ and she made a comment about him not being on SM. She said something like he was too cool for SM. I'm sure a joke to her friends.

My hubby is the same way... he isn't a texting/SM type of person, he will read and NOT respond most of the time.

I have had this conversation with friends and how long would it take for any of us to be alarmed if we didn't hear from our husbands? For me, while we are both working, I don't expect to hear from him, but if I didn't by the time I got home at the end of the day, it would strike me as odd but I would just find him on "find my iphone" app then go back to drinking my glass of wine.

That's not entirely out of the realm of possibility. I had two friends who committed suicide and both were happy-go-lucky and overall very positive-minded people. You just never know, really.

I was thinking the same. I've stated in other thread that she had tweets re suicide (prevention) mental health and statements (paraphrasing) about being kind even to yourself, you don't know what problems people have and that social media highlights the good, doesn't show the messy. I got a sense that despite cheerful upbeat there was anxiety issue. At this age, coupled w hormones and who knows what other biochemistry issues, something could be triggered. I don't even want to speculate to be honest, but I feel she was aware of her own mental health issues or had some unmentioned external problems to deal with, could be hard on herself. But, it's my gut feeling that she would not do that.I think she would seek help as she advised others.She had too many goals and if anything, running itself (endorphins) was a way to keep fit physically and mentally.

I was thinking the same. I've stated in other thread that she had tweets re suicide (prevention) mental health and statements (paraphrasing) about being kind even to yourself, you don't know what problems people have and that social media highlights the good, doesn't show the messy. I got a sense that despite cheerful upbeat there was anxiety issue. At this age, coupled w hormones and who knows what other biochemistry issues, something could be triggered. I don't even want to speculate to be honest, but I feel she was aware of her own mental health issues or had some unmentioned external problems to deal with, could be hard on herself. But, it's my gut feeling that she would not do that.I think she would seek help as she advised others.She had too many goals and if anything, running itself (endorphins) was a way to keep fit physically and mentally.
also her mom mentioned she was really excited for her vacation

I agree with you. MT specifically mentioned Kate Spade and Anthony Bourdain's suicides on her SM with messages to try urge other people who are feeling suicidal to get help. My younger family members (around MT's age) were also posting similar messages and retweeting/sharing them quite often around the same time.

Fair question. IMO she had gone for a short run, she didn't change, wasn't worried about her wallet/ID for a 2 mile drive. The 20 minute walk was going to just add to her steps for the day.
This is confusing this old codger. :(
Are we talking about going to mom's at night or the next morning (on her way to work where she would probably take her wallet/ID at a minimum)?

Do we have the snapchat photo MT sent the night she disappeared? Is it the photo on the top right of the missing posters?

Which reminds me, I can’t help but wonder if any violent offenders were recently released...needle in a haystack...
Earlier tonight I was looking at the Iowa State Sex Offender's site. I almost fell off the chair when I saw there are 50 sex offenders right now on the wanted list. I assume that means they did not show up at their reviews or whatever they call them. Depending on what the offense it is they are given a schedule of when they must reappear I guess to probation, I don't know. Well as of today there are 50 that didn't show up and are now being searched for. I started looking at what they had been convicted for and that made me so pee'd off that I had to just shut it down. These people are truly evil.

I am brutal in my feelings towards sex offenders in general and more so with sex offenders that harm children. This is not a crime you can be rehabilitated from. We all know it, the shrinks all know it as does LE yet we continue to let these predators out and they continue doing their thing. I believe it is a one shot deal. If someone is convicted of it they are done for life. Lock the door and throw out the key. They will ALWAYS be a threat to society if released. All states need to rethink their present sentencing structure for sex crimes.

Are we talking about going to mom's at night or the next morning (on her way to work where she would probably take her wallet/ID at a minimum)?

I initially thought that, too, but with plans of going to the fair that day at work, I wonder if she would have opted to just put cash in a pocket or inside her sports bra. I know when I go to a place like that, I want the minimal amount I need to carry.

I think there is a 3rd possibility.

Maybe she just wanted to go to Moms to quickly pick up the car. Not planning to eat, or shower or anything else. Just pick up the car, so she'd have it for work in the a.m.

If so, she might not take her wallet /ID etc. Especially if a 'friend' or neighbor was just going to drop her off quickly...

@Whiteorchids said:
I still wonder what’s behind LE notifying state of Utah she could be heading there after first week going missing.
??? When did this happen? That's new to me! Rumour or confirmed?
Weeks before Mollie disappeared, she attended her Dad's wedding in CA. It was said she was reacquainted with relatives (as happens after parents divorce), and was invited to visit Utah. In the initial days when family brainstorming about any new events, etc of where Mollie might be, Utah was thrown out there but it's not been mentioned since.
What are the possibilities she met someone she was having feelings for and was getting cold feet about going to the Domican Republic for the wedding? It was mentioned DJ thought it would be a good time to get engaged. She’s ONLY 20 maybe she just wasn’t having the same feelings for DJ anymore. It does happen people do change as they get older. She’s so sweet possibly she didn’t want to hurt him. I think she knew DJ since HS but had only been in a relationship 3 yrs. sometimes people act happy on the outside and put on a good act but actually are hurting and unhappy in the inside. She looked really sad in some of those Twitter pics if you ask me. I did not think she looked glowing with happiness except a couple of photos. The underwear and bra pics seem odd unless they were for DJ eyes only. I realize she left her wallet and glasses I’m just throwing this in the mix hoping she’s still alive and took a break from everything to collect her thoughts and we’ll hear from her soon.
DJ (boyfriend) reports he met Mollie when he was in 3rd grade, and they started dating 3 years ago. This is a very small town where the entire student population is about 250 students. IMO, if either wanted to take a break or go their separate ways, I think they would have faced each other about this. Mollie's Mum also reported they were pretty devoted to each other even though Mollie was away at Univ and DJ back home working.

Those of us following the Missy Bevers murder in the church in Midlothian, TX know how disappointing press conferences can be.

At times it seemed like 9 of 10 answers were always similar to "We aren't going to comment on that because of the investigation."

Hopefully, Monday's PC will be the exception to the rule.

LE must know the citizenry are clamoring for even a morsel of new information.

We can only hope that the fact the PC has been postponed twice might be due in part to address that need by giving us at least a modicum of new information -- unlike the Midlothian PD.

This is in no way to demean the many hours and hard work LE, the DCI and the FBI have done. God bless 'em. I'm only talking about press conferences.

Last edited:
Those of us following the Missy Bevers murder in the church in Midlothian, TX know how disappointing press conferences can be.

At times it seemed like 9 of 10 answers were always similar to "We aren't going to comment on that because of the investigation."

Hopefully, Monday's PC will be the exception to the rule.

LE must know the citizenry are clamoring for even a morsel of new information.

We can only hope that the fact the PC has been postponed twice might be due in part to address that need by giving us at least modicum of new information -- unlike the Midlothian PD.
I wouldn’t expect much until you see the media report an arrest lol

I think there is a 3rd possibility.

Maybe she just wanted to go to Moms to quickly pick up the car. Not planning to eat, or shower or anything else. Just pick up the car, so she'd have it for work in the a.m.

If so, she might not take her wallet /ID etc. Especially if a 'friend' or neighbor was just going to drop her off quickly...

Considering the path she had taken (corner of W. Des Moines and headed North on Jackson and later seen on E 22 headed West), it appears she intentionally opted not to go to her mother's house. Which makes me think she either knew she wouldn't need the car the next day or JT had plans to use it that evening.

I agree with this, especially your last point. I hadn't considered that her boyfriend was usually home, and could have on most days, either dropped her off at her mother's house to get the car, or taken her directly to work. This as you say, would mean that this situation (not requiring a ride) wasn't concerning to her family. This is why it's helpful to discuss this case, even in the absence of new information to work with, because I hadn't considered this fact before. It doesn't really change much for me in regard to Mollie's mom not being concerned (because all that matters is that she wasn't, not why), but it does offer some clarity. Thanks, and great thinking.

It has been reported, in MSM, that when the boyfriend was in town, MT would use his truck to commute to work, so it was not like she needed her family's car every day, just when the boyfriend was out of town. Further reported in MSM is that MT had to be at work for 8 a.m. So brother's text at 7:30 a.m asking if she needed a ride (home? - to mother's house) was S.O.P. of him having her back as the family's shared car was still there at mom's house and Molly was not @ T-30 minutes to her being due at work. The main problem was that MT (God bless her) was too dependable. No answer to his text (in MOO), simply ment, to her brother, that she had already left for work, no problem, it's not like MT is gonna flake out over work. Hey, not his circus, not his monkeys, he had no reason to worry about her safety that morning, not in Brooklyn, IA. He did everything that was expected of him, with what he was reasonably expected to know at the time. AND (drum roll please) if he would have rolled out of bed, and driven over to the boyfriend's house at 7:45 a.m. Nothing, is what he would have found; because the house was (presumably) pristine with the dogs in the basement, as if Molly had left for work that morning. The absolute best, that he could have done then was to call MA's work at 8, 8:15, 8:30, 8:45 and 9:00 a.m. to determine that she did not show up for work, then alert mom to spend the rest of the morning calling MA's phone, the sheriff and hospitals looking for MT. But, he had no reason to do this, as he was not raised in the same urban cultural milieu of paranoia as the rest of us! MOO

Upstream a new poster mentioned the possibility of a neighboring town. This would seem plausible, imo, when considering a RA for the purpose of SA/murder... again maybe he was in the area of work, or just straight up “hunting”...

Of course anything is possible...cmon LE, gives us sooooomething!

ETA: what is the neighborhood grocery store and closest gas station? Any chance it could be the closest store for a neighboring town? I apologize if this is repeated discussion. Doing my best to keep up.

Last edited:
<snipped>

Reference link:
Rita Gutierrez-Garcia suspect held in separate rape case after being arrested at border

Another example:
“Longmont police are aware of the searches, and Deputy Chief Jeff Satur says they are "fully supportive" of them.

"Obviously, finding Rita is a big concern for us," he says.

“Police officers don't accompany the searches, but Satur says if they receive information on a location of interest they will follow up and search the area.“
Reference link:
Rita Gutierrez-Garcia's family, friends still searching for missing Longmont woman )

OMG that breaks my heart. That poor guy out there searching for his sister. What a beautiful girl she was. I see they believe she is dead and apparently have some evidence that is being tested. I hope for his sake they find her and he can find some peace of mind.

I agree that the public should be allowed to search on their own. If I was out there I would definitely help her brother to look for her. How could you not when you see how desperate he is to find her :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member