Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 #24

Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s definitely possible that they were looking at someone, who they have since cleared. Regardless of the reason though, this should have been brought to the public’s attention when their vigilance was at its highest point. People forget things, and it certainly is less likely to help the case now, than it would have been in the very beginning.
Yeah, to cover all their bases they ideally would have from the getgo. I have to wonder why this extremely significant gov. org. did not do that. This just seems off. Of course it would have occurred to them to put it out to the public from the getgo the things to watch out for. I'm now trying to get at their logic why they didn't. Strange

The only question I have if Mollie was indeed hit, wouldn't they have been able to find that? Her route was pretty much known, I'm sure there would have been blood or hair or SOMETHING from Mollie left on the side of the road, even if the driver had tried cleaning everything up.
A while back we covered a case in LA near new Orleans Lafayette I think where a girl was hit and killed and they found her body ..it was someone that saw her riding her bike and decided to attack her.....no one saw anything on the street where he hit her on the bike to take her and rape her and kill her

Saying they do not believe public is in danger is a fair guess...most crimes against people are by someone they know, for a specific reason.

Most victims are specifically targeted due to time/place/circumstances even when it's a random crime. It means he/they intended to grab the person for whatever reason. It doesn't mean *anyone* is at risk.

And by the age of 18, if someone doesn't know basic common sense things like to lock doors and windows, not go up to a stranger in a car, not to take rides from a stranger, say something if you see something suspicious, then they are not equipped for life. To have to be told that specifically by a LE presser or else they would never know? C'mon.

And I don't know how many times young people, especially females, but also adult women, are advised not to run alone in places where it isn't populated, and to run with a buddy if going off the beaten path. Repeated hundreds of times, every time there's a missing person who went missing when running. Yet still...the public has to be told again?

I watched the PC and in my own opinion, they look and sound defeated. Also, I agree with @Mass Guy. LE missed the mark and didn't do enough within the first fragile hours/days of this case to even have a chance of a positive outcome.

They made a big deal and effort into mentioning the website they created with information about Mollie. A lot of times in these cases the perpetrator follows the case closely, and part of me thinks them creating the website is a way to see who is following the case and possibly identify a perp. A lot easier to see who’s following a case that way than get warrants for the endless amounts of news sites, WS, etc

This was my thought exactly. My husband works in information security...so, a “hacker,” but in the ethical sense. At the bottom of the new website, you can register your email to be notified of developments. Because they obviously have information they aren’t revealing, is the “sign up for developments” a tool based on recommendation of a profiler? They may know far more than they’re letting on. The PC felt very calculated and careful. Fingers crossed!

Why don't they think the public is at risk? Whoever took her (if that is what happened) is still out there somewhere.

They mentioned "school" an awful lot. Either they think a truck driver is involved or they drew that circle (on map) to convince a guilty local or acquaintance that the heat wasn't on them. Do truck drivers use public car washes? Could one have seen Mollie jog past and followed her down past Orchard? I guess so. Or someone (not a truck driver) could have used the car wash after whatever altercation occurred down past Orchard.

The red blob to the east of Brooklyn looks like a farm. I really pity the family that lives there. They will be scrutinized without cause. Please lets be careful with our searches.
Also, a truck stop nearby!

People let’s look at the two red dots to the right on the map LE just provided. These are new points of interest.

Plus they gave us a better timeline 5pm-10pm.

Https://findingmollie.iowa.gov
The one top right is most perplexing. Did they get a sustained ping or some Fitbit info such as increased heart rate etc? To me that dot on that lonely area is the best info that came out of the PC.

Let's not forget Mollie was not reported missing until like after 5:00 pm the next day, potentially 20 hours after a possible crime on Mollie.

The speaker of today's PC seemed to use the word "violent" quite a bit. Then he casted a wide net of "things to look out for."

After gathering all of this, I'm in the same boat as many of you in thinking there isn't much evidence to go on. I do not doubt LE's ability one bit, I know they're working as hard as they possibly can, and then some.

Unfortunately, there just seems to be too much time for the perp to cover his tracks, and wasn't noticed in an isolated, rural area.

At this point, I just hope we can find her body/remains one day, and of course catch the perp as well; however, feeling much less confident about the latter now.

A (largely) remote possibility is MT fell through a bad capping. Has anyone been able to locate abandoned-wells/cisterns, mine maps of Brooklyn, IA and surrounding area?

The idea that MT is down a well somewhere has been at the back of my mind since this started. Hard to say how this might have happened; could be happenstance/accident or foul play. But good call on bad capping, what a nightmare scenario!

The email for case updates is interesting also. Bet that's not just a convenience for media ...

Thought that was interesting too. Could be used to catch someone in a lie later on. Maybe if they end up with a POI who isn't connected to the community.

POLICE: Have you ever heard the name "Mollie Tibbetts"?
POI: Nope. Never heard of her.
POLICE: Why did an email address that originated from your computer sign up for updates on the investigation into her disappearance?

Did anyone catch 'they've carried out searches abroad'?
I did't hear "abroad" but will re-listen. I heard they've carried out searches in barns ....and anywhere tips have led them to.

Late edit: "...searched through out the county and abroad.." (i.e., outside the county). IMO

Last edited:
Many of us have mentioned 'discussing behavioral changes' over and over.
So true, isn't it?

I posted a suggestion 23 days ago that the authorities should ask locals to notify them if they noticed anyone missing work on the 19th for suspicious reasons.

Given the desperate situation I expressed the hope that you could trust the public to be judicious about who they reported.

If I and others were disappointed in the PC -- and we were -- I don't mean to suggest my heart doesn't go out to the frustrated investigators who it seems have not gotten the tip they need to focus on a single suspect.

A law enforcement consultant seemed to say as much on HLN.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288