Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 #27

Status
Not open for further replies.
They didn't ... They asked to use her phone...powered it off and took all the technology out of the equation ... 30 seconds and she's incapacitated in the back of the vehicle ..

<ADMIN NOTE: Please make it clear when it is your opinion; otherwise your post could be interpreted as fact and stated as fact downthread. Yep, it happens :) >
You misinterpreted my question which had nothing to with the receiver.

[

Could it be a much older guy?
Who knows? I wonder if there are stats. I probably don't follow as many cases as some of the veteran sleuthers here. I did follow two cases of abductions of teen girls that made national headlines. I googled. One perp was 45 and the other 51. What do you think is typical?

This was someone she knew

This was pre-mediated

"We need to get to know Mollie better" LE statement implies they feel it was someone Mollie knows

Maybe they saw her post something on SM about being alone

If this was a random abduction wouldn't LE be warning the public?

They just said in the last presser they were not concerned about the public at large regarding their safety

This is someone who knows Mollie and knew she was going to be alone that night

Last thing to ponder

If " the house was fine"..." no signs of struggle"..."and Mollies a fighter!"

The dogs must have been ok too?

Who took care of the dogs that night?

Not Mollie

This may or may not have been premediated, there is always the possibility that this was a crime of opportunity.

"Getting to know Mollie" means that law enforcement is trying to understand her habits, personality, relationships, and various other things that help them to understand what is normal for her. Victimology is standard aspect of any missing person's investigation. It in no way implies that she was kidnapped by someone she knew, although that's a place they will start at.

Social media could have made her an easy target, as it may have given away the fact that she was alone.

They said that they have no reason to believe the public was in danger. This does not necessarily mean that they know this was personal, or that they know who did it. They just don't know.

The dogs were put in the basement by Mollie, no one would have had to take care of them in the time period that elapsed.

With MT's schooling in psychology, I wonder if she has had to do any training or shadowing in the field that might have exposed her to risky people or situations. I have 2 in college and they have had to do a lot of shadowing even before applying to their program of choice.

I think they believe the perp is local or familiar with the area based on the 2 dots on the map that appear with nothing existing there. The perp had to know those areas if he indeed took Mollie there, which I believe he did because I feel those 2 particular red dots are spots where her phone pinged.
I would tend to doubt she would have any training like that. I declared my major in psychology as a freshman and only took Psych 101 that first semester. And I was lucky to get in. It's a prerequisite and she likely had only a few psych classes at that time. I don't know anything about " shadowing" in other colleges, but I was only exposed to mental health patients ONLY after my third year and I had taken abnormal psych. I wouldn't think any college would want to be liable should something happen. Not saying its impossible, just unlikely. More likely she was exposed to lots of cute kids, as her current focus seems to be child development.

I thought I was giving "emergency contact" names to my employers so they would have someone to contact if I got hurt at work or keeled over at work. I didn't think it was someone they would contact if I didn't show up to work.

Deleted, sorry for duplicate post.

Last edited:
I thought this was worth sharing, mods please delete if not allowed:
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ru...53/mollie-tibbetts-disappearance-fitbit-data/
I’ve used a Fitbit for 4 years, I use it to track my sleep, steps, running routes, weight, heart rate. It stores a lot of good data on your activity (or lack of activity) and honestly I can see its data as being really helpful in matters like this.

I really do wonder how much LE knows merely from the Fitbit data.

As you go along making assumption's about Mollie's relationship with her family, please remember by any logic based on what we know about her, there's no reason to assume they were strained. If everybody who knew her got along well with her, why not her own family THEN?

Besides, I'm not sure why the topic gets circled back to so often. It's like picking a scab you create over and over. What's with that? There's TOS to follow, then there's stretching the limits of hurtful speculation just for the sake of it, which is less than kind.

What stands out to me about her, is she of the age, considering her personality, that she is open to people. Somebody may have taken advantage of that for a moment or over a bit of time. At least we have some idea where they moved around.

Last edited:

This was pre-mediated

Not Mollie

If Mollie never returned home from her jog and last let the dogs out around dinner time surely there would be some piles of poop and puddles of pee in that basement. If she let the dogs out in the morning chances are there may be an accident or two but not anything like what would have been if they were left almost 24 hours.

This was pre-mediated

Not Mollie

If Mollie never returned home from her jog and last let the dogs out around dinner time surely there would be some piles of poop and puddles of pee in that basement. If she let the dogs out in the morning chances are there may be an accident or two but not anything like what would have been if they were left almost 24 hours.

Who knows? I wonder if there are stats. I probably don't follow as many cases as some of the veteran sleuthers here. I did follow two cases of abductions of teen girls that made national headlines. I googled. One perp was 45 and the other 51. What do you think is typical?
It all depends on the nature of the abduction. For instance, if this was a sexually motivated killer who hadn’t done this before (assuming she is dead), he’d likely be in his late 20s or early 30s, that is if he is in the mould of a serial killer. If he was a friend or acquaintance, he’d likely be around her age. There is of course always the possibility that he is older.

This may or may not have been premediated, there is always the possibility that this was a crime of opportunity.

"Getting to know Mollie" means that law enforcement is trying to understand her habits, personality, relationships, and various other things that help them to understand what is normal for her. Victimology is standard aspect of any missing person's investigation. It in no way implies that she was kidnapped by someone she knew, although that's a place they will start at.

Social media could have made her an easy target, as it may have given away the fact that she was alone.

They said that they have no reason to believe the public was in danger. This does not necessarily mean that they know this was personal, or that they know who did it. They just don't know.

The dogs were put in the basement by Mollie, no one would have had to take care of them in the time period that elapsed.
Great post, I'm glad you reiterated, we need to keep all those things in mind. Also by all accounts the dogs were fine. They may very well have been in the basement all night and most of the next day, but they were not distressed.

If she presumably knew her abductor there's no reason to discount the scenario of this person actually calling out to her "hey, come over here!" (to their drive way, down the street where she just past... or even in to their house). IMO. MOO

It all depends on the nature of the abduction. For instance, if this was a sexually motivated killer who hadn’t done this before (assuming she is dead), he’d likely be in his late 20s or early 30s, that is if he is in the mould of a serial killer. If he was a friend or acquaintance, he’d likely be around her age. There is of course always the possibility that he is older.

I think the question is if this is a sexually motivated killer and have they done it before. They don't seem to have left a lot of evidence, judging from the call for information. Which is why I've speculated that this isn't their first time - maybe earlier they've made mistakes and managed to get away.

In this case I think it is someone older. I think you need a lot of life experience (40s/50s) to pull this off. Either that or just dumb luck.

The Jessica R case is an example of how it can be anyone. Even LE thought they were looking for an older male. Her killer was 17 and had tried to abduct an adult female jogger prior to Jessica's abduction.

I think the question is if this is a sexually motivated killer and have they done it before. They don't seem to have left a lot of evidence, judging from the call for information. Which is why I've speculated that this isn't their first time - maybe earlier they've made mistakes and managed to get away.
Killers like that do evolve and refine their methods. It’s absolutely possible he’s done this before and learned from it. Then again it doesn’t necessarily take a great deal of skill to pull something like this off. He may have just gotten lucky here, but maybe not.

Yes this but change the start to this: go from mollies bf house east on Des Moines/385 and follow that all the way to V21 then go south V21. I think the truck stop and car wash are on there for their cameras.

He might have seen her jogging through town then followed her to the house or close to it. Was driving east on Des Moines and snatches her then instead of turning the car around and back tracking which I think most people would not do they continue east until reaching V21

But if the truck stop and car wash are on there because they have cameras, why would LE need to speak with folks who were in those areas during that timeframe? Theoretically, cameras would had caught much of any activity unless of course suspicious activity was seen I guess.

But if the truck stop and car wash are on there because they have cameras, why would LE need to speak with folks who were in those areas during that timeframe? Theoretically, cameras would had caught much of any activity unless of course suspicious activity was seen I guess.
There’s always blind spots, and not all cameras produce great quality picture.

Hi behind as usual but wanted to reply to this post from FHG:
IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 #26
(I’m not seeing a way to link the exact post, only the page?)

Yes, ye, you just reminded me of a specific post Foxy made. About predators hanging out in certain locations...schools...gah it was soooo eloquent I have to find it bc my paraphrasing will not do it justice.

“Theres a reason for the seasons”...
-Foxfire

Looking for this post...hope I can stay on task and not get distracted.

Be real here people. LE really hasn’t asked for any help solving this. They are seeking witnesses for prosecution purposes. What happened is known. The Who is known. They are seeking the how, when, and maybe the why.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cabinsleuth