Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 #31

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just don't think it has to be someone she knew or who is a local with a known tie for her disappearance to make sense.
sbm. I agree, which is why I said I wasn't discounting your point. My question was meant more as brainstorming, trying to work a theory backwards to the solution. Based on the confirmed evidence that LE has shared, I honestly don't know if it was a stranger or someone known, so I suppose I'm trying to fit theories to facts to see which one makes the most sense with what we know for certain. (And I 100 percent agree that WC is not a serious candidate. Potentially someone's useful red herring, sure, but maybe not even that.)

I wonder if anyone seen Mollie casually chatting with anyone in town or maybe even one of the guys at the co-op, not necessarily the night she went missing. Electrical worker, Grass cutter.
bbm. What about a one-man yard crew with an enclosed trailer? How common would that be in Brooklyn?

Last edited:
I still tend to believe that a vehicle parked in a driveway of a house would be alot less likely to be noticed than and abduction in the streets during daylight of a small town! Especially that of young attractive lady that was running and would probably draw some attention as she ran by. Which is still why I can't completly rule out that she left the house with somebody that she knew. JMO

I decided to go back to the facts/what her dad has said. He said to People that he speculates that someone (the perp) misunderstood his relationship with MT, pursued her and is now in over his head.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/people...etts-dad-they-thought-she-was-found-dead/amp/

In another interview, he references someone potentially GOING TO THE HOUSE and a similar situation developing where the perp is “in over his head.”

‘Just hang on’: Mollie Tibbetts’ parents share theory on her disappearance

Given that he has, in an interview, urged someone to “listen to Mollie”, I am now skewing hard in this direction.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/abcnews.go.com/amp/US/mollie-tibbetts-father-home/story?id=57071632

My objection to that is not how long it would take, it's how could someone who doesn't belong there even know how and where they can pull this off and not get noticed. If not planned and executed perfectly on the first attempt somebody notices. Or you drive right by Casey's before you realize the security camera probably just saw that. Maybe I'm downplaying the possibility that we're dealing with some criminal mastermind with a carefully crafted plan, it just seems to me that reality is going to be much simpler than that.
I think it is more likely that whoever took Mollie DID know the area. If not, he most likely would have had to have been scoping out the area for awhile, and I think someone would notice a strange car. If a total stranger pulled this off without being noticed by ANYONE at all, I would consider him very lucky. But why take the chance? But if this WAS the case, maybe it is that strange car that was captured on one of the cameras . Maybe police do have witnesses who saw a strange car. I do think it is more likely someone familiar to the area, however. That's what makes the most sense.

But plenty of evidence. Finding their discarded bicycles right away next to a hole is the fence is pretty significant.

No witnesses and no trace of them. Small town, broad daylight, public park, summer vacation. Bikes, purse, cell phone at scene left police running in circles for months. Victims found by chance. No suspects.

Same type of evidence with Mollie: digital trail that led police to farms 10-13 miles SE of Brooklyn. No sign of Mollie, just evidence that has police running in circles.

True that, but honestly, if I drove past the truck stop that evening, I might consider making the call just in case. Err on the side of caution. Son of Sam was a traffic ticket, so hey, you never know.
I wouldn't do it for fear of being the only one at the truck stop or any of those locations that didn't make the call. I'd do it because, if the FBI wants to talk to anyone that was there, there is a reason. Maybe I did see something, but I didn't think it was anything. Yet, when they ask me something more specific than what I'm hearing on tv, I realize I actually do remember something. Now, that's why I would call. But, I guess from the guilty person's perspective, they may call because they think LE already knows they were there and not pretending to be helpful might draw even more attention.

I'm kind of curious. Did Le give out much information when she want missing? If the answer is no have they revealed any more as time goes on?

If keeping quiet doesn't work then surely they have to divulge a few facts to maybe get the guy/girl.

I just will never understand staying quiet for years, for the integrity of the case, and getting nothing Sigh...
My hometown has a case over 10 years old of a missing young woman found later in a wooded area. Every 5 years now they have a special news story and it's still the same stuff, went missing, found later, witnesses said blah blah blah, no suspects, someone must know something please come forward. No new information. Not even cause of death. I can't think of any reason to go that long, and I thought for a long time they had a suspect and were just biding their time and waiting for a slip up, a confession or someone to turn on them. Never happened.

I was curious about MT's former high school. Less than a week ago, the BMGCS District was looking for a new English teacher and a full time cook:

- Teaching Jobs| K12 Jobspot

Short notice, since school starts 8/23 for the students; teachers needed to be in last week:

http://www.brooklyn.k12.ia.us/School_Calendar_-_2018-19

Normally teachers give notice around May, unless something very serious happens over the summer, such as a family emergency. It seems odd that a small school (257 students in grades 7-12) would still be looking for two important co-workers so close to the start of the term.

Did key personnel leave because they were distraught over MT's disappearance, or has the school had an influx of new students, thus needing more support? Did someone leave abruptly? What about other businesses in the area--any sudden departures?

I think it is more likely that whoever took Mollie DID know the area. If not, he most likely would have had to have been scoping out the area for awhile, and I think someone would notice a strange car. If a total stranger pulled this off without being noticed by ANYONE at all, I would consider him very lucky. But why take the chance? But if this WAS the case, maybe it is that strange car that was captured on one of the cameras . Maybe police do have witnesses who saw a strange car. I do think it is more likely someone familiar to the area, however. That's what makes the most sense.

I think so, too. It seems like an easy thing to sort out on the surface, but so hard for the investigators to sort out, especially not finding any hair or trace of her.

I do hope she is alive, and will come home, and I keep thinking about that running route, who saw her, and what the trigger was. Not sure it will be solved here, but believe our interest will be a small part helping keep the pressure on. I also think her dad did a wonderful job getting word out, even if he has to get back to work and make sure his sons are back to their schooling.

I’m signing off for a few days maybe more.

After Lucas Hernandez I was heartbroken. And each day that passes in my heart I chave lost hope. I don’t think Miss Mollie will be found for a time. And she had so much going for her. She was just beginning to make her own little corner of the world. And I hope I’m wrong.

I will be back when I am happier again and dealing with life in a more positive way.
And I think I’m going away for a while over to a National Park where everything is fresh and mostly innocent. LWhen I’m recharged Ill read every thread. And hope Mollie has been found.

This is way out there but just a thought could someone from the university, someone with a weird crush on her be a plausible suspect. University is 45 mins from Brooklyn. Just a thought.
Nothing has been ruled out, so it's possible.

Not to derail the thread, but if you are asking this in reference to Faith, no, initially they gave out very little information, beyond that she appeared to had been beaten to death. As the years have gone by with no resolution, LE periodically. around the yearly anniversary, release a little more info. They actually got DNA from roughly 700 males. My gut feeling is they know who did it, but do not have the evidence they need to make charges stick, and probably never will have. JMO
Regarding cases where LE doesn't have enough evidence to 'make charges stick' against someone, but they 'know who did it' or at least have a likely suspect, is there a lawyer here who can explain in a nutshell why LE doesn't just charge the person based on circumstantial evidence, and keep their fingers crossed that eventually (by the time they go to trial), they'll have more to go on?

Is it because of laws that protect citizens from being charged without 'compelling' evidence presented by LE to a judge who has to approve the charges in advance?

Are there any exceptions under these types of circumstances?

I'm trying to remember the details of the Drew Peterson case - I think he was brought in at one point by LE because of circumstantial evidence that was too significant to ignore (3 wives disappearing is more than a coincidence...), but maybe I'm wrong.

Anyway, playing off of circumstantial evidence may be a stretch for Mollie's disappearance if LE only "likes" a person for abducting her or worse, but can't prove they had anything to do with it based on physical evidence.

But what if LE has someone who circumstantially they think could have done it?Would their only recourse be to wait and watch and hope they would slip up somehow?

Very frustrating if so.

Thanks in advance.

I think it was someone she knew, I just cannot see someone grabbing her that easily. She appears to have had a good life, very talented wonderful family, obviously well traveled. Had the sense to have a cell and fitbit, thought she was protected. I think she ran into someone (who may have known her circumstances,ie: alone in a house dog sitting, runner, etc. ) They knew her situation and maybe she was a tiny attracted to this person. I think it was an acquaintance and it turned ugly. I think that person boogied out of town with her and I am sorry but she could be anywhere. It is risky to keep a body around you or on your property, I just don't think it was a stranger. Her dad says he thinks she is alive and being held against her will, he may have had a long conversation with her and may know things the general public is not going to know. At one point didn't she make a comment to someone that she spent more time with dogs than people and wasn't sure she wanted to go back to that. That sounds a bit lonely to me.

if there are no known searches, what exactly does that say? They have nothing at all? Nowhere worth searching? Weird...

There has been numerous news reports mentioning searches.

Mollie Tibbetts: Search continues for missing University of Iowa student - CNN
Searchers are combing ponds and taking to the air....

The latest on missing college student Mollie Tibbetts
“Poweshiek County Sheriff Thomas Kriegel told ABC News this is the longest anyone in the tight-knit community has been missing in his memory. He said in addition to the searches on foot, a plane, a helicopter and kayakers have gone out looking for her.

"We're surrounded by farm ground -- corn and soy beans. Right now the corn is probably eight, nine feet tall. The only way you can search it is basically walk down every other row," he said. "It's difficult. Even the planes flying over have a difficulty looking down in the corn row”......”

The father is 'reluctantly' going home and (paraphrasing) said they told him he needs to do this. I'm sure he has things he must attend to and LE probably cannot/doesn't want to share more with him/family without compromising progress etc. Don't know how LE usually handles family under similar circumstances (suggesting they get back to their routines as much as possible) but I wonder if this is also part of a strategy. Perhaps if any POI have been interacting with/ have been supportive/available to family during this time, they want to see how this person(s) will react, if they will behave normally and get back to their own routine, as well. To observe them independent of others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rainydaze17