Found Deceased IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 #31

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quick question and I apologize because this must have been addressed upthread but I can't find it. These threads are moving at lightening speed!

Were tracking dogs taken on the road where we believe Mollie jogged and did the trail stop for them, or?

Maybe, but that is one major, serious thing to worry about. Hard to believe he wouldn't consider the consequences.
I know. It's a sticking point with me, too. It isn't that I'm sure he didn't dispose of the phone at some point, but I'm not convinced that he did, either. It's all part of this maddening puzzle.

Has it been established that cameras at both Casey's and the truck stop worked in the time frame she went missing? I ask because I had a trucker friend who told me that often cameras are nonfunctional. Some are straight up fake in some truck stops. I know, hard to believe, but he was an experienced I-80 driver. Sorry to say he stole a lot of items from truck stops & never got apprehended. Which isn't proof there was no footage of his theft. Point is he said definitively that there are a lot fewer working cameras in stores than we imagine. Perhaps Casey's and the truck stop as LE target locations of interest are for reasons we don't know yet? FWIW
I would like to know if it has been said as fact if the cameras were working too.

Last edited:
Regarding cases where LE doesn't have enough evidence to 'make charges stick' against someone, but they 'know who did it' or at least have a likely suspect, is there a lawyer here who can explain in a nutshell why LE doesn't just charge the person based on circumstantial evidence, and keep their fingers crossed that eventually (by the time they go to trial), they'll have more to go on?

Is it because of laws that protect citizens from being charged without 'compelling' evidence presented by LE to a judge who has to approve the charges in advance?

Are there any exceptions under these types of circumstances?

I'm trying to remember the details of the Drew Peterson case - I think he was brought in at one point by LE because of circumstantial evidence that was too significant to ignore (3 wives disappearing is more than a coincidence...), but maybe I'm wrong.

Anyway, playing off of circumstantial evidence may be a stretch for Mollie's disappearance if LE only "likes" a person for abducting her or worse, but can't prove they had anything to do with it based on physical evidence.

But what if LE has someone who circumstantially they think could have done it?Would their only recourse be to wait and watch and hope they would slip up somehow?

Very frustrating if so.

Thanks in advance.
Yes, there is a lawyer here who can answer your question very thoroughly, I'm sure. Hopefully she will see this and respond to your question!!

I actually often step away after a particularly difficult case. I think it is healthy. I know it is for me. We tend to invest so much time in these when we follow them, and they are almost always emotional roller coasters, and far too often, do not have happy endings. Something always pulls me back, but I could not be here day in and day out, year round. I am grateful for those who can and are.
I think I too have had to pull away before. I can't remember which case....maybe Kyron Horman or Dylan Redwine. I, like a lot of us on here really care and invest ourselves in trying to help solve these cases. I think a lot of us do pretty good work too and LE and other authorities do look here for out of the box ideas.

I gathered quotes and information about the five points on Mollie's map accompanied by links to the articles.

https://findingmollie.iowa.gov/

Who's the Best Carrier In Brooklyn? 20 People Agree It's This.

Otto’s map with cell towers

IA - IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 #30

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
According to the government website dedicated to finding Tibbetts, the team of more than 40 investigators on the case are focusing on her boyfriend's home in Brooklyn, Iowa, a local car wash, a truck stop and two farms between three and six miles outside of Brooklyn.

Investigators focus search for Mollie Tibbetts

*Law enforcement is currently seeking additional witnesses and wants to speak to anyone who was in the areas indicated below on July 18, 2018 between the hours of 5PM and 10PM.

*Law enforcement is asking anyone in this area of 385th Avenue on the evening of July 18th to contact us via the tip page.

Mollie Cecelia Tibbetts was last seen on July 18, 2018, running on Pershing Drive in Brooklyn, Iowa.

MOLLIE CECELIA TIBBETTS

Poweshiek County Sheriff Tom Kriegel said a neighbor saw Tibbetts running at approximately 7:30 p.m. on July 18, and reported she was wearing gym shorts, a pink sports bra and running shoes.

*Law enforcement is asking anyone in the area of the TA Truck Stop on the evening of July 18th to contact us via the tip page.

1534260186292.jpg

Mollie Tibbetts search now focusing on car wash, truck stop and areas in and around Brooklyn, Iowa

*Law enforcement is asking anyone in the area of the D & M Car Wash on the evening of July 18th to contact us via the tip page.

Mollie Tibbetts search now focusing on car wash, truck stop and areas in and around Brooklyn, Iowa

The owner of D &M car wash tells Channel 13's off camera, he gave surveillance video and credit card transactions from July 18th and July 19th to the FBI.

Officials Highlight “Areas of Concern” In Search for Mollie Tibbetts

8:30 p.m. Brooklyn man DR said he saw a woman jog past his home around this time that he later believed to be Tibbetts. When he realized what he had seen, he contacted authorities.

The latest on missing college student Mollie Tibbetts

Fox News has confirmed that police have taken copies of all surveillance tapes associated with Mollie's disappearance from Casey’s General Store.

Mollie Tibbetts' disappearance a 'total shock,' Iowa residents say

DCI agents were speaking to residents behind the car wash in video below:

KCCI

*Point 4 and 5 upper and lower right pink circle

"When her Fitbit pinged at a hog farm about 10 miles southeast of the house in Brooklyn, IA, where she was last seen, police searched the area but found nothing, Mortvedt said."

Everything We Know About The Disappearance Of Iowa College Student Mollie Tibbetts

The other highlighted areas are in the vicinity of Tibbett's boyfriend's home, where she was staying at the time she vanished, and two sparsely-populated tracts of farmland only accessible by dirt roads.

One of the farm areas is right next to Big Bear Creek, a waterway that originates 20 miles northwest of Brooklyn, in Gilman. From Brooklyn, the creek runs another 20 miles Northeast to Marengo, where it empties into the Iowa River.

CBS affiliate KCCI-TV reports that the pig farm is near Guernsey, about 15 minutes from 20-year-old Mollie Tibbetts' hometown of Brooklyn, Iowa.

Investigators search pig farm for missing Iowa college student; FBI gets new tip

There is a large police presence off of Highway 21 in Poweshiek County.

The police presence is between Guernsey and Deep River.

Investigators have told TV9 previously that they were confident on Tibbetts' digital footprint, but they did not release any information as to where that was.

Property owners: Police presence in Poweshiek County related to search for Mollie Tibbetts

I gathered quotes and information about the five points on Mollie's map accompanied by links to the articles.

https://findingmollie.iowa.gov/

Who's the Best Carrier In Brooklyn? 20 People Agree It's This.

Otto’s map with cell towers

IA - IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 #30

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
According to the government website dedicated to finding Tibbetts, the team of more than 40 investigators on the case are focusing on her boyfriend's home in Brooklyn, Iowa, a local car wash, a truck stop and two farms between three and six miles outside of Brooklyn.

*Law enforcement is currently seeking additional witnesses and wants to speak to anyone who was in the areas indicated below on July 18, 2018 between the hours of 5PM and 10PM.

*Law enforcement is asking anyone in this area of 385th Avenue on the evening of July 18th to contact us via the tip page.

Mollie Cecelia Tibbetts was last seen on July 18, 2018, running on Pershing Drive in Brooklyn, Iowa.

MOLLIE CECELIA TIBBETTS

Poweshiek County Sheriff Tom Kriegel said a neighbor saw Tibbetts running at approximately 7:30 p.m. on July 18, and reported she was wearing gym shorts, a pink sports bra and running shoes.

*Law enforcement is asking anyone in the area of the TA Truck Stop on the evening of July 18th to contact us via the tip page.

1534260186292.jpg

*Law enforcement is asking anyone in the area of the D & M Car Wash on the evening of July 18th to contact us via the tip page.

The owner of D &M car wash tells Channel 13's off camera, he gave surveillance video and credit card transactions from July 18th and July 19th to the FBI.

Officials Highlight “Areas of Concern” In Search for Mollie Tibbetts

8:30 p.m. Brooklyn man DR said he saw a woman jog past his home around this time that he later believed to be Tibbetts. When he realized what he had seen, he contacted authorities.

The latest on missing college student Mollie Tibbetts

Fox News has confirmed that police have taken copies of all surveillance tapes associated with Mollie's disappearance from Casey’s General Store.

Mollie Tibbetts' disappearance a 'total shock,' Iowa residents say

DCI agents were speaking to residents behind the car wash in video below:

KCCI

*Point 4 and 5 upper and lower right pink circle

"When her Fitbit pinged at a hog farm about 10 miles southeast of the house in Brooklyn, IA, where she was last seen, police searched the area but found nothing, Mortvedt said."

Everything We Know About The Disappearance Of Iowa College Student Mollie Tibbetts

The other highlighted areas are in the vicinity of Tibbett's boyfriend's home, where she was staying at the time she vanished, and two sparsely-populated tracts of farmland only accessible by dirt roads.

One of the farm areas is right next to Big Bear Creek, a waterway that originates 20 miles northwest of Brooklyn, in Gilman. From Brooklyn, the creek runs another 20 miles Northeast to Marengo, where it empties into the Iowa River.

CBS affiliate KCCI-TV reports that the pig farm is near Guernsey, about 15 minutes from 20-year-old Mollie Tibbetts' hometown of Brooklyn, Iowa.

Investigators search pig farm for missing Iowa college student; FBI gets new tip

There is a large police presence off of Highway 21 in Poweshiek County.

The police presence is between Guernsey and Deep River.

Investigators have told TV9 previously that they were confident on Tibbetts' digital footprint, but they did not release any information as to where that was.

Property owners: Police presence in Poweshiek County related to search for Mollie Tibbetts
Thanks Harmony! You da bomb!

My objection to that is not how long it would take, it's how could someone who doesn't belong there even know how and where they can pull this off and not get noticed. If not planned and executed perfectly on the first attempt somebody notices. Or you drive right by Casey's before you realize the security camera probably just saw that. Maybe I'm downplaying the possibility that we're dealing with some criminal mastermind with a carefully crafted plan, it just seems to me that reality is going to be much simpler than that.

The guy who murdered two women in my area (actually one in my city and one in the next county...the third that I mentioned previously that happened in my town remains unsolved) was no mastermind. He's kinda dull and plank-like and had no plan. He didn't even have a car and was considered transient. But he's a predator and they prey. He got one woman when she was working late and he saw her through her office window, right across from an all night chain restaurant, in the business section of town, on a well-traveled main street that police routinely patrol. No one saw or heard a thing. He got his second victim when she gave him a ride for the second time that day after she left work and saw him on the street again. It was a town of around 1000. No one saw a thing, two times. He used their vehicles to do his abductions. Turned out he had been a client of my agency (we served homeless populations and others with barriers to adequate housing) and had loosely threatened one of our transitional housing staff. Small world.

Anything is possible.

And I do think someone would be as likely, perhaps even more likely, to notice Mollie getting in a car or talking to someone in a car, and that would have been reported. I really don't have a sense of whether or not the she was known to the person or he was someone like the predator in my area who was described by the DA as an opportunistic killer. But I don't think town size or lack of a witness to the abduction points to one scenario or the other.

Last edited:
I'm just going to throw this out there.....I do think most murders happen by someone the victim knows. I once knew a very dysfunctional family. (aren't we all really tho?) They had 5 children. 4 of the 5 children got seriously involved with drugs and alcohol. One day their 3 child was murdered. Turned out murdered by her college professor whom she didn't share his feelings for her. Go figure. But she knew him.

Last edited:
No witnesses and no trace of them. Small town, broad daylight, public park, summer vacation. Bikes, purse, cell phone at scene left police running in circles for months. Victims found by chance. No suspects.

Same type of evidence with Mollie: digital trail that led police to farms 10-13 miles SE of Brooklyn. No sign of Mollie, just evidence that has police running in circles.
No, not same type of evidence. We have absolutely no physical evidence that a crime even took place.

So I know Brooklyn is a small town, but it's right off the interstate so I am sure people pull off for gas, food, etc. Do people really know everybody's cars? I have lived in small towns yet just knew my immediate neighbors cars. I don't find it that far fetched that someone at the truck stop or car wash could have seen her and followed her to a more rural area unnoticed.
Brooklyn is not really “right off the interstate”. It’s a few miles up the road. People stop at the exit (TA Truck Stop) but don’t just wander north and stumble into Brooklyn.

Kids must smell better now than they used too. I played 4 years of high school football, and we "reeked."
yes. football players and hockey players. she probably didn't stink, but she probably wasn't fresh and was definitely sweaty. she might take a ride if she pulled something and recognized the person who offered it, but I don't see her meeting anyone from Tinder or OK Cupid.

No, not same type of evidence. We have absolutely no physical evidence that a crime even took place.

I spent some time living in upstate NewYork many years ago.

Many abandoned mines were in our area.

Cars disappear in the night with evidence in them.

How? People say, "my car was stolen while we were in theatre watching the movie, but i didn't report it to the police because it was an old clunker anyway."

Actually, they drove the car off the cliff into the mine with all the evidence in it.

Some people just aren’t found...Kyron, Haleigh C., Kortne, Jennifer K., Lauren S. And others, years, even decades later. Just look at “Missing Not Forgotten” section...it is large. We can’t just say “she will be found.”

Some people just aren’t found...Kyron, Haleigh C., Kortne, Jennifer K., Lauren S. And others, years, even decades later. Just look at “Missing Not Forgotten” section...it is large. We can’t just say “she will be found.”
This early in the game we need to say it. Most missing people are found and not too far from home.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie